Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to ride the safety, is it really necessary? And other safety quest

DagoRed

Ok, maybe this is a bit of a stupid question, better to try and get an answer though then struggle unnecessarily.

My situation is about the first year of shooting I never rode my thumb safety, I never had a problem w it, never accidentally engaged it, a couple guys asked me however why I didn't ride it and said it was important to keep muzzle rise down. Also was told to prevent safety engagement. Ok, I decided to start trying it. The new grip has had some issues come up though (that of course can be trained away, this is a fact finding for whether it is worth training to the new grip or go back).

-I find that my support hand thumb now that my strong side isn't in the way has a tendency to ride the slide release preventing slide lock (obviously this is practice fixable, I'm just listing the things I have to be aware of now)

-I get a little higher grip on the gun now. Good right? However, a couple of times I've been so high and not gotten it set right and the grip safety hasn't fully engaged. Only happened a couple times and I just need to set my grip better

-I just noticed this, in an effort to use the safety to keep the gun flatter (that's one the reasons I was told to do it) I'm putting a lot of pressure. I noticed my accuracy has been affected because I'm gripping too hard w my strong hand, I'm not smooth enough on the trigger

1. Is it really that big a deal to ride the thumb safety?

2. Am I doing it wrong, should riding it just be resting the thumb there versus pushing down on it hard? I'm talking I actually cut my thumb one day in practice I was pushing it down so hard. :)

3. I'm thinking of replacing my ambi serrated safety w a single sided one, the Harrison design brownells sells, do I need to do anything on the right side of the frame where the hole is for the ambi?

Of course I'd prefer to go to my other grip, I'm willing though to put in the work to perfect the new grip if its that big a deal. I think I'm just gripping too hard on that safety.

Thanks guys

Red

Different things work for different people.

I like to just rest the thumb on the safety lever. I'm not conscious of applying any pressure. It is just a handy place for placing my thumb, and adds some consistency to a high grip. With the thumb up there, there's enough room for placing the weak hand high on the grip/ frame, which is good for controlling muzzle flip. My lever is a bit unusual, so it is probably even easier than with most other levers.

People like to pin their grip safeties to ensure it is down with a very high grip. I have not found that necessary.

Have you tried an El Presidente, with each grip, and measured the results?

Might tell you that YOU prefer one grip or another.

If there's a measurable difference, then you might want to consider working

out the kinks in the new grip - If NOT, why bother?

I "ride the safety" - have for a LONG time - seems to work ok for me - I

don't engage the safety accidentally or grip the gun too tight. Might NOT

work for you - may not be any benefit, to YOU. :)

Sounds like you are pushing down way too hard if you cut your self. Just hold the safety down don't try to snap it off! I agree with pin the grip safety it lets you get a higher grip on the gun. All of this takes practice to feel natural so take your time and give it a chance. You probably will end up riding the safety a lot of shooters do.

Try not to press down on the safety. Just let your thumb rest on top of the base knuckle of your support hand with the safety sandwiched in between. If you find you are not disengaging the safety consistently you may need to take some metal off to clearance for your knuckles.

If your told that you have to push down on the safety to control recoil they told you wrong .

You ride the thumb safety to get a high grip on the gun and that controls the recoil so don't push down on the safety just let your thumb rest on it .

First 1911 I had was a race gun. Had a constant fight trying to find and keep the dot in the scope. First thing a long time open shooter said was, " Draw with your thumb on the safety and keep it there". Tried it, The sights came up right on every time. Grip is higher the gun too.

The main issue I see here is that your support hand (left hand) thumb is touching the slide stop. that tells me your grip is not quite 'correct' (yes everyone has slightly different ideas on this).

your left hand thumb should be way forward of the slide stop, either just resting lightly against the frame or just off it.

in fact with a proper high grip and large hands you should almost have the tip of your strong hand thumb touching the slide stop.

your left hand wrist should be canted forward so that your thumb is basically pointing downrange. parallel to the barrel almost.

see if you can find someone who is a good shooter to work with you for a few min on grip. it helps to have someone diagnose and help you in person. :)

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Just to reiterate, there was nothing wrong w my accuracy or anything before. Just recommended by people that all 1911 shooters should ride the safety.

Not pressing it down hard seems to have made a difference in comfort on my dry fire and airsoft. Beer, I played w my grip, there's no way my thumb isn't going to be in a line w the pivot point of the slide release. I did find that I might be able to train myself to press it against the frame right under the slide stop. I'm going for practice tomorrow and will see if that works better than just holding it off the side which I seem able to do being concious of it.

Now that I'm not squeezing the safety down hard I don't seem to be having a problem w the grip safety any more. I read the instructions for installing the Harrison safety and just reading them made me tired :D so I'll leave that for later.

I'll know more tomorrow. Seems not too hard to get the hang of so I'm giving it a go

Red