Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 barrel removal from upper with barrel nut already off

redwoods

I took off a JP VTAC handguard off my AR15.

The outer nut and handguard are off, as well as the inner barrel retaining nut.

All that is left is the barrel and the barrel extension (with barrel indexing pin).

To clarify, I can see the threads on the upper receiver and the barrel indexing pin, so all nuts are removed.

I tried pulling it straight out but it does not budge. I tried a rubber mallet on the upper receiver with no luck.

This is a bushmaster upper with a 20" bushmaster heavy barrel. I don't think I ever pulled the barrel off. It has been assembled at the factory.

Any ideas on how to get the barrel off?

I had heated the outer JP handguard nut to break the red Loctite that was applied (and recommended by JP).

I have also put some kroil in the top and bottom to try and loosen up the barrel.

Thanks,

Randy

this will sound barbaric, but it works. get a piece of dowel, 1" in diameter. put it into the rear of your upper until it touches the barrel extension, then cut the dowel so that sticks out of the upper about 3-4". put it back into the upper and start banging on the dowel with a rubber mallet. it will come out so be ready. an extra set of hands is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed this on many of the BCM receivers as of late. But like mentioned above, head and hammering wherever you prefer works just fine. There are a few manufacturers and some armorers who have used loctite on the barrel extension as well. Same solution in this case, but it makes it a little more fun pulling them off.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2016 at 7:23 PM, outerlimits said:

this will sound barbaric, but it works. get a piece of dowel, 1" in diameter. put it into the rear of your upper until it touches the barrel extension, then cut the dowel so that sticks out of the upper about 3-4". put it back into the upper and start banging on the dowel with a rubber mallet. it will come out so be ready. an extra set of hands is good.

This works great for sticky barrels.  Might sound brutal but it's not harmful.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:23 PM, outerlimits said:

This and maybe a little heat and some Kroil on the really sticky ones.