Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unloaded table start

WaJim

3 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Re-read 5.2.4 and tell me I can't use a magnet prior to the Standby command.

I did. You can't. The Production appendix does not say when. It says you can't use a magnet to retain a magazine

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I did. You can't. The Production appendix does not say when. It says you can't use a magnet to retain a magazine

I asked Troy about magnets in single stack a couple of months ago.. Troy is the bold. Both single stack and production say "Magazines may no be retained through magnetic means." pretty clear.

Hello Troy,

A shooter and I disagreed on if magazine pouches like this are allowed in single stack. My understanding is if it has a magnet and you use it during the course of fire your in open. Is this the correct way to apply the rule?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt

Yes, that's correct.  However use of the magnet at any time will move you to Open.  It's not restricted to during the course of fire.  Ok to have it on your belt, but not ok to retain a magazine with it, period.

Troy

Edited by Kraj

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Agreed, quoted the wrong post

Edited by Kraj

4 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Re-read 5.2.4 and tell me I can't use a magnet prior to the Standby command.

If you do in production or single stack your in open.

11 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

So if a production shooter has a barney mag in his front pocket to make ready does that mean he gets bumped to open as well?

No. 5.2.4  Should the division restrict the location of the magazines or speed
loading devices, carrying them in apparel pocket(s) forward of the
restriction point will be allowed providing they are not removed from
the apparel pocket(s) between the “standby” command and the
command “ if clear, hammer down and holster”. (e.g. – a magazine may
be retrieved from a front pocket to facilitate loading before the start
signal or while unloading at the end of a COF without penalty).

Edited by Sarge

Just now, Sarge said:

No. That rule has been clarified to mean between start signal and range is clear. or words to that effect.

is that in the rule book or a clarification from NROI?

2 hours ago, thepunishur said:

I've seen too many people try to stow mags blindly. Look them in, just like when putting it in the pistol. 

Yep kind of like shooting long range steel. Faster to aim and take a little more time than to try to jam them in as fast as you can.

29 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yep kind of like shooting long range steel. Faster to aim and take a little more time than to try to jam them in as fast as you can.

I have a friend that is convinced he could double tap the long range steel. It has never worked a single time, yet he still insists on doing it

• 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, WaJim said:

Last weekend it seemed like it took me ten minutes to stow two mags on an unloaded all mags on table start.....anyone here with any secrets to getting them in the pouch without fumbling?

I've found that the index finger all the way down to the end of the mag for guidance works but repeatability is suffering....sometimes I can get them stowed quickly, sometimes they take a bit.

I've been practicing this week because I have a Match Sunday where, now that i'm practicing, I'm sure there wont be a table start......

Thanks!

I didn't see what division that you are shooting in.  If its open and I do not move from the table I place the mag right at the entrance to the mag wall and slap it in, if I need two mags I have a magnet on the front of my belt, or just pick up two and put the first one in as I move to the first shooting position 

• 5 months later...

The first match I shot unloaded table start, I fumbled for a good few seconds trying to stuff mags into my mag pouches. I noticed a few seasoned shooters had at least one mag pouch as their first and I spoke to them about it. Good some good tips/advice from 'em.

First pouch on my belt is the DAA large, open faced magnet that can hold two mags without any issues. Depending on the round count on the stage, it may only require one mag change. On a larger stage, I'll sit two mags together on the left, slightly angled, bullets up and staggered ie the right one about an inch higher than the left, this way when I reach for a mag on my mag change, I'm not fighting to separate them. The third mag is in line with my pistol's magwell.

Buzzer goes off, snatch the two mags with my left hand and slap them on the magnet. Slam the mag third mag right into the pistol's magwell, quick slide rack and start snapping off targets.

Edited by Trinimon