Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 dies ....to Dillon or not to be ?.......

So I've recently started reloading .223 for semiauto. On a 550.

Currently using Lee dies ( it's what I had)

I set up 9mm with Lee dies and feel the reloads are more consistient / better than Lee dies on Lee press

? Are you using Dillon dies exclusively for .223?

If your not using .223 dies exclusively. What are you using? And why?

are any of you messing with neck tension? What dies/ or modifications are you using?

I'm shooting out of a white oak barrel. 18". 1/7. And loading 75 gr hpbt. With XBR. Of less importance 55 gr. for close up / steel. Haven't fine tuned a load yet.

I used to shoot and reload for precision .308 (and still own an arbor press)

I'd like stay sub MOA if not better. (Without becoming a bench rest freak)

I use all Dillon dies and have not yet felt a need to mess with neck tension. Your combination of barrel/bullets/powder is a proven recipe for success, I don't think sub MOA will be too hard to achieve.

I like Dillon for pistol, but for rifle I stick with Forster.

For what you are loading I would get the set with the bench rest seater die. Its got the same really nice base die with sliding sleeve as the Ultra, but without the micrometer top. If you arent playing with loads all the time and trying to REALLY fine tune every last iota of accuracy out of a load, no reason to mess with the micrometer top on the ultra dies. I feel the dies are easier to setup too. Screw the die down until the sleeve is compressed 50%, then your actual bullet seating depth is controlled by the stem in the middle of the die. So you dont have to lock and unlock the die lock ring to adjust seating depth.

For what you are loading I would get the set with the bench rest seater die. Its got the same really nice base die with sliding sleeve as the Ultra, but without the micrometer top. If you arent playing with loads all the time and trying to REALLY fine tune every last iota of accuracy out of a load, no reason to mess with the micrometer top on the ultra dies. I feel the dies are easier to setup too. Screw the die down until the sleeve is compressed 50%, then your actual bullet seating depth is controlled by the stem in the middle of the die. So you dont have to lock and unlock the die lock ring to adjust seating depth.

Are you using crimp die in 4Th position?

I have a 550 and love it for rifle. All my pistol dies are dillon and never had a problem. As rifle goes, I am using dies I had from the single stage era. For 223 I have lee and they work, but the deprimer really is not good for military brass. The collet for the pin seems it will wear out, because a crimped primer pushes it up most of the time. I can see having to get a new sizer deprimer in the future. If it's not broken why fix it.

I too have a 550 set up exclusively for 5.56 and am using Dillon dies. I went with Dillon, despite others talking about Forster and Redding being better, because JP himself recommended them. Full disclosure: I'm new to reloading. And for rifle, I'm only shooting 5.56 and the plan is to shoot 3-gun and Norco's Phantom Strike matches.

I chrono'd my first batch of reloads and tested them for accuracy. They were right on, using Hornady 55gr and H335. I'm sighted-in for 50/200.

I have loaded and prepped brass for .223 on both on a 650 and on a 1050 all with Dillon dies.

If I was in your position I would use Dillon dies for one reliability of the brass entering the die when running in the press as Dillon dies have a more generous flare opening and two reliability of feeding in the rifle as Dillon dies are essentially SB dies.

I don't have neck tension "issues" however I go one more step in using a Lyman "M" die to open up neck a little and slightly open then up for more consistent seating.

Are you using crimp die in 4Th position?

When I ran a 550b, yes for 55g stuff, but no for precision stuff. The Lee FCD is what I use if I need to crimp rifle. Very easy to setup so if you dont want to use it its easy to remove and re-install.

im going to order some dillon dies tonight.

does everyone use fcd? or other crimp die?

i haven't with .223 and am questioning necessity with properly prepped components

I live about an hour from Dillon in Phoenix, I usually stop by there once a month if I need to or not. I generally buy all my reloading supplies and dies from Dillon, not because I drank the blue kool-aid but because of their no BS guarantee, their prices are very reasonable, and t the quality is outstanding. To the OP, yes I use Dillon carbide dies for .223 I have two other brands RCBS and Lee but the Dillon dies out perform the other two hands down.

im going to order some dillon dies tonight.

does everyone use fcd? or other crimp die?

i haven't with .223 and am questioning necessity with properly prepped components

Dillon 3 die set has a crimp die if you want to use it. No need to spend extra for a Lee FCD.

I have Dillon, Lee, and RCBS small base 223 dies and I listed them in the order of my preference. The RCBS decapping pin is easiest to break. The Dillon expander ball is carbide and the die is the most robust design. The Lee die sizes to minimum specs and drops in the case gauge nicely.

The die I actually resize with is the Dillon trim die which resizes also, on my case prep tool head. I then clean the flash holes and run the expander ball through the neck with the Dillon die 2 full turns out with no lube thanks to the carbide expander ball.

I just got some 8208 XBR to try and there are some smart people using it. It is supposed to meter well. A lot of folks are running CFE 223 up here to good effect, at least I get sub moa easy. Not a lot of temp swings in the southeastern US of A.

• 4 weeks later...

My Dillon resizing die does not push the shoulder back far enough.

It is .003 short of what I need.

Where as the Forster does give me what I need.

Have you tried turning die additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn after it hits plate?

• 3 years later...

I realize that this is an old topic so please indulge me.  I use Imperial Sizing Wax on my 223 cases that I size in my Redding dies.  Would the use of the DIllon Carbide Die make lubes such as Dillon's spray-on or Hornaday One Shot more effective as far as reducing the likelihood of stuck cases?

Thanks very much.

Best regards.

Bob

2 hours ago, Marvin Gardens said:

I realize that this is an old topic so please indulge me.  I use Imperial Sizing Wax on my 223 cases that I size in my Redding dies.  Would the use of the DIllon Carbide Die make lubes such as Dillon's spray-on or Hornaday One Shot more effective as far as reducing the likelihood of stuck cases?

Thanks very much.

Best regards.

Bob

Stuck cases should be nearly impossible with Imperial wax. That stuff is top stuff in terms of lube. Never had a stuck case with Dillon lube either but have had 2 with One shot... I don’t use that anymore for rifle. 

I had steel SB dies and stuck cases 2 times, me bad ( I swear I had plenty of lube on them), then went with Dillon carbide die and never looked back. They may cost more, but life is short, and you need to enjoy it.