1911 magwell options

jbecker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might need the aluminum guide rod too, I just ordered a new scale to be sure I can get an accurate weight.

I'm thinking I will go with the dawson ice with the gap so I don't need new base pads and a aluminum main spring housing and see what my weight is, and if needed go with aluminum guide rod and light weight grips

You will want the Dawson extended base pads. The Ice magwell doesn't allow much magazine to protrude, the Dawson's are longer in the rear where the box allows it.

e9697d1ce7bfd8e2ec92ffd8a547c66b.jpg

Pat Jones what mag well / grip combo are you running? Looks like a Dawson to me, but I am curious about the lip or step at the bottom of the grip on the front strap.

I might need the aluminum guide rod too, I just ordered a new scale to be sure I can get an accurate weight.

I'm thinking I will go with the dawson ice with the gap so I don't need new base pads and a aluminum main spring housing and see what my weight is, and if needed go with aluminum guide rod and light weight grips

You will want the Dawson extended base pads. The Ice magwell doesn't allow much magazine to protrude, the Dawson's are longer in the rear where the box allows it.

e9697d1ce7bfd8e2ec92ffd8a547c66b.jpg

Pat Jones what mag well / grip combo are you running? Looks like a Dawson to me, but I am curious about the lip or step at the bottom of the grip on the front strap.

It's a DS Perman 19-20 grip for closed front magwells. It's paired with a Dawson Ice No-gap magwell.

+1 on the Dawson ICE. I used S&A for a long time until I began to shoot USPSA and I switched all my single stacks over to Dawson ICE. If anything, I actually feel that the S&A get in the way more than no magwell with a decent bevel.

• 2 weeks later...

Had several, each had flaws, TGO, Dawson.....The very best option, Weld on magwell. Standard mags with no added cost for base plates. Chan, Briley, ect...The price of all the baseplates, magwell will add up to the cost of a weld on. I won't own a 1911 without it from now on. I just love the one on my Springer and Planning on one for my LB with a 1 piece Wilson next.

Had several, each had flaws, TGO, Dawson.....The very best option, Weld on magwell. Standard mags with no added cost for base plates. Chan, Briley, ect...The price of all the baseplates, magwell will add up to the cost of a weld on. I won't own a 1911 without it from now on. I just love the one on my Springer and Planning on one for my LB with a 1 piece Wilson next.

I'm partial to the lower profile versions (S&A type from Ed Brown, EGW and others), and they require nothing more than those plastic bumpers that usually come with a mag, or cost about $1.50 each. Since most mags either come with them or have a base pad that accomodates these lower profile magwells, there's generally not much cost after the magwell.

A single weld on magwell is going to cost more than that, especially once you factor in refinishing the gun, and I have three guns that would need them (9mm, .40 S&W & 45 ACP).

I like the lower profile magwell/MSH units because they're affordable, low profile, offer a decent size hole to shove a mag into and keep the front of the mag open so it can be stripped easily if it does not drop free. I can't remember the last time I missed a reload so bad it went outside the magwell. Not saying it never happened, but if it does, it's so infrequent that it's not an issue (to me).

They do need to be blended (not a big deal if you have a file and a modicum of patience) and sometimes they don't perfectly match your grips (again a fixable problem), but they do not limit your grip choices (Techwell requires their grips unless you feel like making your grips fit the tabs for the magwell). They also do not have a super slick insert like Dawson does, but they also do not require Dawson basepads and if a mag refuses to drop free, you're digging with your fingertips to get it out if you have a Dawson. I've had this issue on occasion, and with the Techwell TGO and S&A type, you simply swipe the front strap with the fresh mag to get the stuck one out, then complete reload.

Don't take anything I've written to be a slam or negative on Dawson Precision. They make great stuff. I'm just not a huge fan of their Single Stack magwell. I know I'm in the minority here, tons of guys love them and they're all over the place at any match you go to.

You could always cut the front of a Dawson and turn it into a TGO style. I'm a little surprised DP don't make a smaller carry version like Techwell do. It would be a great idea to be able to swap your magwell out for either CC or competition with a few turns of a screw rather than remove the whole MSH and swap everything over or have to have a complete MSH set up.

Edited by terrydoc

I'd have a hard time chopping up something I just paid $95.00 for when a Techwell is already available with a larger funnel than the S&A type.

And due to it's two piece construction (magwell and insert, not talking about the MSH here), I'm guessing it's going to look like a chopped magwell when I get done.

Thinking about a magwell and magazines for a Springfield Range Officer USPSA Singlestack gun... Anyone tried one of the Dawson No-Gap magwells on a Springfield RO? Fit OK?

Also wondering about using the Tripp Cobra 9mm mags and Dawson No-Gap base plates... Anyone tried this combination in a Springfield RO Singlestack gun?

That's the setup on my .45 caliber RO. I don't think I'd get the no-gap system again, I'd just get the standard one. The front of the no-gap inserts breaks out periodically. I'd still get the Dawson base pads.

Fits the box on my RO, makes weight with an ounce or more to spare. I don't know about a 9mm RO, but it makes weight on my buddies 9mm S&W.

• 2 years later...