Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JM pro shoots very high

DKnoch

I havent shot 3 gun in a while, and I'm not too great at it (shoot about exclusively uspsa for time being). Main problem was my shotgun. I got a jm pro on trade before i knew much about it. At matches when they would set clays up on a stand about 2' in the air or so, i was having to aim at the ground, even from 10-15 yards. My point of impact is way off my point of aim. Im sure I will shoot a 3 gun match again sometime in t he future and would like to remedy this problem. Should I get an adjustable rear sight or do i need to adjust the stock? Or is this something you would need to see to answer?

Daniel K

My first step would be to get a large cardboard box, set it out about 15 yards,

and fire a shot at it - see where the pellets are hitting.

See if you hold the gun a little differently, or align the front bead a little

differently, if you can walk the group of pellets onto the box.

Sounds like you might be able to adjust your head and sight the

bead a little differently.

The JM Pro also comes with spacers that adjust cast and pitch. For starters, close your eyes and mount the shotgun naturally. When you open your eyes how much of the rib do you see? You should be looking flat down it, if you see the too much of it you need to adjust the pitch down with the spacers. Length of pull is also very important, as a rule of thumb you nose should be 1.5-2" from your thumb when the gun is mounted.

Adjust then pattern, pattern, pattern.

Edited by 12Bravo

The JM Pro only includes adjustment shims for rise/drop from the factory. If you got the gun used, you may not have received these with the gun or possibly have a Rise or Drop combination already installed. The factory 930 stock has no easy cast, length of pull or pitch adjustments. Before doing anything with the shims if you have them, familiarize yourself with the fitment terminology...

Patrick Kelley has written a great article that spells out the basics as they apply to any shotgun:

http://www.multigunmedia.com/shotgun-fit.pdf

There are also a couple of YouTube videos that do a good job of covering the topic:

Most of the stuff you will find is either generic or geared toward the Benelli shotguns that have more adjustments than most.

For Mossberg 930 specific help, here is Part 1 and 2 for fitting your Mossberg 930 with factory and/or aftermarket parts:

You can get some cast if you need it in a Mossberg 930, but pitch and LOP are going to require power tools. Most people running the 930 with sights on the vent rib can get by with factory drop and possibly cast.

Sorry i forgot to mention the shims. I tried a few of them until I found the one that worked best. It helped some, but my point of impact is still way above my point of aim. Ill watch some of these videos and see what knowledge i can gain. Thank you

Daniel K

Sorry i forgot to mention the shims. I tried a few of them until I found the one that worked best. It helped some, but my point of impact is still way above my point of aim. Ill watch some of these videos and see what knowledge i can gain. Thank you

Daniel K

Do a search on this forum for replacement front sights/beads for the JM 930. Think they are all set up that way in stock form. Inducing stock drop with the shims helps some, but does not solve the problem.

Mine also shot high, especially with slugs, about a foot at 25 yards. Solved it with replacement HiViz front triangle type sight.

Mark

i just got a JM Pro and I had the same issue. I was shooting high. I adjusted the stock the lowest position and still shot high. I'm finding the sight to be too low for me. I found the sight of the SPX model way easier to use so i just ordered these sights to see if raising the sights help.

I've heard of a bunch of guys who bend the heck out of the barrel. There are a bunch of videos on how to do it. This is especially effective for Benelli shotguns, but might just be the ticket for Mosberg as well. ;)

I've heard of a bunch of guys who bend the heck out of the barrel. There are a bunch of videos on how to do it. This is especially effective for Benelli shotguns, but might just be the ticket for Mosberg as well. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

When you shoulder the gun do you see any of the ventilated rib in your sight picture?

(all other things being equal and assuming you see any of the rib in sight picture then...the more rib your see the higher the guns shoots...so see less of the rib and the POI will move lower)