Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grip or not

Sarge

I'm thinking of ditching the steel grip on my open gun and going back to polymer. My other gun has a polymer grip and quite frankly I think it handles better. With steel grip my gun weighs in at 54.5 oz and other than bragging rights it's a PITA to carry all day. Am I crazy?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope,. Especially on an open gun, where the comp is taking care of the vast majority of the recoil for you, I think metal grips are kinda silly. Ditch it for a nice chunk of money and get a regular grip, every so slightly reduce it (pretty much just knock down the front corners to make it less square) and then skate tape it with some aggressive Roam tape. Prosper.

I had a SS grip for a while and I didn't care for it. IMHO, it made the gun steer like a bloody battleship.

I have thought about an aluminum grip and might do that some time in the future.

If you decide to go back to the polymer, please pm I would be interested in your steel grip, if it will fit on my trubor. I would like to see the steel over the polymer.

I ditched my steel grip as well. I found it did dampen recoil but it made the gun feel dead in the hand. Plus, more mass = more inertia and more momentum once moving. Reloads are more forgiving with polymer grip as well.

To each his own, but I will NEVER go back to plastic grip. Of course the gun weighs more but the weight is in the correct spot. For me the gun transitions better, and is softer.
My new gun being built is even heavier and shorter. It has a .750 tungsten sleeve on the barrel.

I put a steel grip on my open gun a few months ago and I have played with the weight front to back and I am still not sure I like it. I like the fact that the steel grip should not crack like the sti aluminum one. My latest set up with the steel grip with a aluminum main spring housing and a tungsten guide rod weights 47.5. I have shoot svi open guns that are very heavy but I have not shoot a tungsten sleeved barrel.

Steel... all the way, baby!

I too would not go back to plastic. Too many issues with it I had. I love the extra weight, and I am not a heavy lifter at all. I am a super senior guy, but the weight doesn't bother me one bit.

Edited by Foxbat

Try PT aluminium grip and then you have mainspring housing options of steel or aluminium. The main spring housing is a good chunk of weight and easy to switch.

Also I dig using a titanium comp. Steel comps put weight way out front and to me that is what make a gun steer like a ship. Weight in the hand is less of a problem.

Edited by andersonj55126

Love my PT steel on my open gun, you get used to the extra weight in no time. In my case it seemed to calm the dot down even shooting 115 grain pills.

I shot it for a year or so and I think I'm going to switch back. I kept polymer on my backup gun and it just feels better to me.

Thanks all

Hello: It is good that you tried it and found you don't like the feel. I did the same thing and just use the plastic grips now. The aluminum was like a tuning fork in my hands and the steel just felt heavy and unbalanced to me. I would do some testing on targets with a timer and see what happens. The plastic was faster as well for me. Your testing may vary from mine but it will tell you something. Thanks, Eric

It took a little while to get used to my SVI steel grip but now that I am I love it. I am much faster with the steel, don't even notice the weight. The only thing that I don't like is the way it holds onto the cold! Shot it in cold weather last year and it froze my hands. I now have some hand warmers ready to go if the weather gets cold. :)

Sometimes I feel the same way Sarge does between the two grips. I am currently shooting my CK Arms 9 major with the steel grip which is heavy and keeps that muzzle down. My back up gun is the first Open I had built by Bobby with the polymer grip and I also feel I can get a better grip on the gun, but I tend to like shooting the steel grip Open gun more.

I've stuck with the plastic grip all along. I've shot steel framed guns, Caspian and Para, and found them heavy. Like Rob said they dampen recoil a bit but when an Open gun is over 50oz it's too heavy. I've found now I've gone back to the stock unmodified grip. I'll play around shaping one later for myself but I'm finding for my hand shape and size the stock grip is pretty good, I may just round some corners and leave it be, no grip tape, no undercuts.

Ok. Here we go. Steel frame SVI IMM gun. Shorty with TI COMP. This is light in the front, weighty at the back. It's super flat and easy to drive.

A04391FD-EC00-4A62-9FFD-57789BCB8C26_zps

Here is one I built. 9mm 5" gun. TItanium comp and bull barrel. Plastic grip on it.

18133EE7-DD97-4473-8EEB-1F63F95ECBC3_zps

That being said I shoot the shorty much faster. It has a different feel to it. It is very snappy, I am sure that without the weight it would be very harsh.

Edited by Kingman

I have shot both in limited, i have to say and hate to say that i do prefer polymer. Steel look great and felt great, but when it came down to shooting the polymer, i shot better. I think it is personal preference really, do what you are comfortable with, 50/50 will like steel and the other will prefer polymer.