Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Walmart Bulk Pack Federal Shotgun Shells

alma

Don't know how picky your A5 is, but, I run Rio, Herters (Cabela's). If in doubt, AA's or Remington STS.

And as mentioned the Winchester $2 per box rebate is in season. Around here Wal~Mart has AA shells at $7.87 per box. With a $2 rebates that makes AA shells (at $5.87) one of the best buys...and a much better shell than the bulk pack rounds

Hold the "brass" to a magnet, just a coating. My sx 2 would not run the federals, but the suprema 1 oz loads (1300 fps) run great at about the same price. Can't feel any difference in my m2 recoil wise.

Bought some today, had 4 rounds that didn't go fully into battery, pushing the bolt fully closed manually and they fired, had one round that looked like a beaver attacked the crimp but I forced it into the chamber and fired it. So that's 5 rounds that where problematic out of 25 fired, and it was through a 1301 that's had one previous malfunction in its 5k round lifespan with a variety of garbage ammo. I'll buy another 100 just to be sure but so far it's not looking good for the new Federal stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some today, had 4 rounds that didn't go fully into battery, pushing the bolt fully closed manually and they fired, had one round that looked like a beaver attacked the crimp but I forced it into the chamber and fired it. So that's 5 rounds that where problematic out of 25 fired, and it was through a 1301 that's had one previous malfunction in its 5k round lifespan with a variety of garbage ammo. I'll buy another 100 just to be sure but so far it's not looking good for the new Federal stuff.

Disregard this!!!

I shot my normal loads the day after I posted this, same issue. Turns out I thought I was really smart for putting a little grease on the action spring to quiet it down some. Seemed like a good idea till it migrated under my piston, mixed with the soot and turned into a paste and slowed my gun way down. New Federals are running fine now. Just look out for the occasional mangled shell.

My 870 runs these just fine. Maybe the issue is with all of your new-fangled autoloaders? ;-)

Then why does my 87 lever action shotgun not eject these? :goof: The older Federal bulk packs worked fine, but they seemed to change the rim design. I think I'll just use all brass shells from now on.

• 1 month later...

I had a bit of extra range time so I tossed 50 of the 7 1/2oz down range with my A5 today. Everything functioned perfectly which is great since I am down to my last 200 of the old style. 

I have been buying this stuff like its going out style. Both of my Vepr 12s eat it up. Not a single problem with it in about 600 rounds. It feels a little "hotter" than the old stuff. Bit more recoil and it flies out of my ejection port like the dickens. I would really like to chrono it I sincerely doubt its only 1200. It feels hotter and flies farther than the Suprema 1315. Here's a quick vid of me ammo testing some action work I did for a buddy, where I shoot it along side some others:

I think they are a brass wash or plated and with the change in the shape primer.  They could have gone with a cheaper primer like Cheddites which are a few thousands larger and can only be reloaded with Cheddite primers normal federal primes can be pushed in with your thumb.

Image result for cheddite primerscheddite primer

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2016 at 10:14 AM, Mike9250 said:

Both the old and new Federal bulk run perfect in my M3000. YMMV

I retract my previous statement.  Since switching to the new Federal bulk I've had them hang up on me a few times, including at today's match.  I switched to AA's and finished the match with no issues.  I need to do some more testing but I'm thinking it's the ammo.  I noticed another shooter with a M3000 and the new Federal was having the same exact issues as me.