Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Grip Mount

GringoEd

Pistol is a 1911A1 Series 70 that was used in Bullseye Matches. Sometime in the 1990's, a former owner upgraded to an Aimpoint red dot sight by using an aluminum grip mount that replaced the pistols left grip panel. The mount is attached by both the original grip screws/ bushings and a pair of small additional screws slightly left ( toward the muzzle end) of each grip screw, that are drilled and tapped into the frame. Grip screws came right out, the little hex head tapped screws won't budge. How do I remove them? Any suggestions welcome. 1/16" hex wrench just snaps. Probably lucky I didn't strip out the screw head.

Thank you!

Might be loctited in there. If it's red loctite you'll have to put flame to it to get it to break loose. It may just be blue loctite. In that case soak it in acetone if possible to dissolve it. OR it could just be seized in there. Just keep shooting PB blaster on it and let it soak for a few days.

My guess is red loctite

I can just about guarantee they are red loktited in. It was difficult to keep those grip mounts tight so it was common to use red. Clean off all that oil and heat the bolts with a propane torch until you see the loktite bubble up and then they will come right out. It won't hurt the blue.