Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock Glock hot loads

JD45

federal +p+ 124 124 will do anything you ask.

If you look at load data for VV3n38- you can push a Hornady 147 at speeds most people are loading for 124. I would not hesitate to carry my reloads for a match hundreds of miles from home or for self defense if the need arose.

I completely agree with Wayne; no reloads for carry. To give you an idea of hottest load, Winchester Ranger brand is a pretty hot load for 9mm, similar to rdinga's post above on Federal. The Ranger is a 124 grain bullet. The specs are given a 4" barrel. Muzzle velocity is 1180 fps. Velocities for 5 yards and 25 yards are 1169 and 1126 fps, respectively.

If you're going to hand load your carry ammo, consider 2 things...

1. With the exception of Speer Gold Dots (and possibly the Sig V-Crown), none of the newer generation extremely consistent performing JHPs are available for reloaders. So that's where I'd start, Gold Dots are used by many LEO agencies and have a proven track record.

2. Potentially of greater importance are muzzle flash (to preserve visual acuity in low light conditions, which are 80% of defensive shootings) and being able to to have quick follow up shots.

Not that you asked for it, but arguments against reloads for defensive use...

1. Overly aggressive ADAs and ignorant juries.

2. Factory loads are easier for crime labs to verify ballistics and powder burn patterns (especially if you keep the box with lot numbers) to verify your version of events.

3. A $20-$40 investment for a box or two of quality JHPs is cheap compared to the cost of legal defense and your life. Professional made parachute vs homemade parachute?

We carry WIN Ranger LEO (SXT,the old Black Talon) 127+P+. It chronos at about 1,280 fps in a Glock. Couple of the G17s made it over 1,300 fps.

Apparently Winchester thought that "+P+" was latin for "proof load"! Is that where you got the horribly flattened primer and melted headstamp 9mm Win case from the other thread?

We carry WIN Ranger LEO (SXT,the old Black Talon) 127+P+. It chronos at about 1,280 fps in a Glock. Couple of the G17s made it over 1,300 fps.

Apparently Winchester thought that "+P+" was latin for "proof load"! Is that where you got the horribly flattened primer and melted headstamp 9mm Win case from the other thread?

No, just range brass that I took a photo of to show newbies what to look for, the squashed one was not fired from a Glock. SXT is hot, but it doesn't do that at all. It looks the same as Speer Lawman, which looks the same as WIN .357SIG, that has been fired in a Glock. More of a strike impression than practice ammo, but nowhere near pressure signs. I'll run a couple of SXT caps out this weekend and post a picture later.

Here's another one I found, my reload on the left from a 125 HiTek on top of 4.2 grs TiteGroup at 1.130" OAL versus, who knows what the one on the right is, but it was not fired from a Glock.

image36414.jpg

• 2 months later...

The hottest load I've tried out of my stock G34 barrel was 6.2gr Power Pistol under a 124gr plated RN at 1250 fps. I didn't see any primer flattening or case bulging, but I decided that I wasn't going to try to push it any faster. No need to, especially when I was just doing it out of curiosity. 

I'd be very careful trying to duplicate this load, especially with a traditional JHP. Work up slowly, watch for pressure signs. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have never been able to find +P+ load data though there is some +P.  Power Pistol will give good performance but has a big flash.  It's new cousin BE 86 is flash suppressed and should provide good performance.  I have not tried it though a fellow 3 gunner I shot with is very impressed with it.  I second the Gold Dots. I would easily feel comfortable shooting max loads in a factory glock barrel.  Check out load data for 9mm major on this forum.  

The OP lives in the Southeastern US of A.  I wouldn't sweat the hand loads too much down here. 

All my carry guns have some type of +P+ 9mm LEO ammo in them.  I will be switching over to all Underwood ammo in the future.  I bought some 10mm ammo for my trips into grizzly country and I am impressed with it.