Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanaglio Gold Match or Gold Match Extreme

Larks

Hi, new user (in Australia) and, firstly, my apologies for any members who may have seen this same post on the Pistol Forum where it was suggested I may get more responses here.

I have been searching through forums and other threads here and will continue to do so over the next few days (particularly the "Tanfoglio Bible" which appears to have a lot of great info to work through), but in the meantime I am interested in any feedback or opinions that anyone may have on Tanfoglio semi auto's in general and, in particular, in the Gold Match and Gold Match Extreme pistols.

I am looking at these for NRA Action match - in .38 Super, initially to shoot Production division but with the option to modify reasonably easily for Open division without the (currently beyond my budget) expense of having one built up from scratch.

So I'm wondering if anyone is really able to quantify what the difference may be between these two pistols - or is able to interpret the sales blurb in the web links to decipher whether the differences are worth the (roughly) AUD500.00 price jump to the Extreme? I know the blurb's read differently but I can't determine how much of that is just sales pitch and how much is qualifiable/quantifiable upgrades on the extreme version.

I have heard great reports on the Gold Match and I actually prefer the look of it to the Extreme, so I am inclined towards that but don't want to dismiss the Extreme if it really offers more bang for my buck.

Any advice, comments, quips or general discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Edited by Larks

Perhaps it's because I'm a newby, or perhaps because these aren't available under the same name in the US (?), but I am a little surprised at the deafening silence on this question.......

Regardless, and for what t's worth, being an impatient sort I've gone ahead and ordered the standard Tanfoglio Gold Match, rather than the Gold Match Extreme - as much as I'm sure the "extreme" products are a bit more special - I just can't justify the extra $$$

Differences

GM v GMX

Hard chrome v ceramic coating

Normal hammer v Xtreme hammer

Steel sight v fibre optic an steel sight

Walnut grips v Xtreme grips

Normal trigger v Xtreme trigger

Normal firing pin v Xtreme extended firing pin.

May have forgot something but Basically all can be fitted to the Gold match should you desire.

Because of that largely I think your picking between finishes on the single action Tanfoglio competition frames.

There is more of a advantage to the Xtreme models for double action models IMO.

Have you actually viewed both models in person? The Gold Match Xtreme frame finish doesn't actually look like it does in the pictures on the Australian website. It's a matte, dull grey - battleship grey.

I've handled a new Gold Match Extreme in production version and fired the standard Gold Match in modified version for open class (owned by a club member).

Edited by Larks

Hi Larks,

have had Gold match for 2-3 years now in 9mm do your self a favour hang out for 38 super, if you

want to shoot lead or see Ray Pulver and about $1400 for a decent barrel in 9mm but 9mm does like HAP's

good luck

sounds like you've gone down the right road. ultimately if you are serious about shooting NRA action match you will probably get a 2011 built for the purpose with all the bits (shroud, wings, stick shift move mount, prone magwell base etc).

The gold match is a nice pistol but won't hold the same kind of accuracy at the longer distance vs a custom built 2011. As pete mentioned you can get a barrel from Ray Pulver for a tanfoglio that will improve things but rather than throwing more money at the tanfog, if/when the time comes that you want a more accurate gun use that money on a deposit a get ray to build you up a full house 2011. :)

sounds like you've gone down the right road. ultimately if you are serious about shooting NRA action match you will probably get a 2011 built for the purpose with all the bits (shroud, wings, stick shift move mount, prone magwell base etc).

The gold match is a nice pistol but won't hold the same kind of accuracy at the longer distance vs a custom built 2011. As pete mentioned you can get a barrel from Ray Pulver for a tanfoglio that will improve things but rather than throwing more money at the tanfog, if/when the time comes that you want a more accurate gun use that money on a deposit a get ray to build you up a full house 2011. :)

Thanks Pete and BB (and yes, I do have the .38 super on the way Pete). That's pretty much what I've got in mind, to shoot the Gold Match as a production pistol and eventually, when I can afford it, have a custom gun built up for open comp.

Meanwhile my PTA has come through so I'm just waiting on delivery of the gun and on some new dies and changeover kit for my Dillon to start working up some loads in preparation.

• 8 months later...

So.......8 months later and still waiting for the Tanfoglio delivery, but am told that it is now imminent....nothing quite like building the expectation is there!!??:rolleyes:

Now that it’s so close, I’m thinking I may just spend the extra $$ and go for the Extreme....

2 hours ago, Jezz said:

The Aussie distrubutor is a nice guy but the led time on parts and guns is a pain to deal with.

He is indeed! I buy my Dillon reloading gear directly through him as well, always very helpful and accomodating.