Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why annual testing ?

p7fl

I am clearly missing something.

Why does USPSA / NROI require annual re-testing.

Not a big deal, yet, annoying. I got my 3 year renewal in the mail and noticed that my CRO was expiring in a week. So I spent the time, filled it out and gained nothing.

Agreed re-testing is valid, but How Often? Not sure what year I took the RO class, but the CRO was in 2002 and the rules simply have not changed much. There is now Single Stack, Production etc but the concepts have not changed, certainly nothing changes quickly. How about re-testing on new posts by Troy or something relevant?

The exam could have been CO, or Steel Challenge.

But every year for almost 20 years is just a waste of everyone’s time.

There are a dozen guys at every local match who know the rules

So, what am I missing?

I can't even count how many certified ROs...

- Still tell people to "load and make ready"

- Don't know how to clear a revolver shooter

- Think foot faults are always per-shot procedurals

It's a perishable skill.

If 2 feet are outside the shooting area it is a Per Shot Fired Procedural, if one foot out and significant advantage it is a per shot fired.

I have heard many CRO's give the following commands

Load and Make Ready

Shooter are you ready

At the ULSC, slide, trigger, Holster

Range is safe

Not know how to score an angular hit on a target and call a mike as a double.

Not understand that a disappearing target has to be activated or its an FTSA and the Mikes.

I'm not a CRO, just an RO, so I don't know if its any different, but the online renewal test takes less than 10 minutes to complete once a year. Not that hard of a commitment or waste of that much time to show HQ "Yes, I'm still invested in the sport and want to keep my RO/CRO status".

And yes, despite the rules not changing all that much, I still hear all sorts of wrong things at the range. A little refresher once a year is a good thing in my opinion.

The way I look at it, it forces me to read the rule book once a year

Speaking of, where can I buy a copy? They're not available on the USPSA site.

Handbook and overlays you can purchase: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-store-home.php .... but maybe need to call them, yes online store says out of stock, but it says they are selling them.

Edited by trgt

Take the class and they will give you one. ;)

Scheduled for Aug 27/28. :) Getting my NRA Basic RO course this weekend (for a part-time gig at an indoor range - been shooting a long time, never bothered with any RO certs).

If 2 feet are out of the shooting area it is a per Shot Fired Procedural

Hmmm..... Rule # please.

Ok, I'll play -- and likely receive an education......

10.2.1 comes to mind -- that's not all it says, but the last sentence does indicate that shots fired after leaving a shooting area and before popping at least one foot down in a new shooting area are penalized with one per....

So -- what's the definition of leaving a shooting area? If you step completely out and are shooting on the move to somewhere else, that seems like it would be easy to call....

If you step completely over the side fault lines have you left the shooting area? If you stay there and have an easier view of a target array behind a vision barrier I might still call for 1 per shot fired. Can you come back in and stop the penalty count -- r do you need to proceed to a new area to make that happen?

I'd argue if you're kneeling or prone, and foot faulting to the side or rear, even with both feet you don't meet the definition of leaving......

Wouldn't we be better off if that last sentence stood on its own?

Amen

If you don't come up with a solution PM me your info. I have a new one I'll give you Edited by Sarge

If 2 feet are out of the shooting area it is a per Shot Fired Procedural

Hmmm..... Rule # please.

From the USPSA website, new rules section.

A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground or while stepping on an object beyond a Shooting Box or a Fault Line, or who gains support or stability through contact with an object which is wholly beyond and not attached to a Shooting Box or Fault Line, will receive one procedural penalty for each occurrence. Shots fired after completely (both feet out and touching the ground) leaving a shooting area will be penalized one penalty per shot until the competitor establishes a presence in a new shooting area by placing at least one foot on the ground inside the shooting area. However, if the competitor has gained a significant advantage on any target(s) while faulting, the competitor may instead be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired at the subject target(s) while faulting. No penalty is assessed if a competitor does not fire any shots while faulting, providing doing so does not violate 2.2.1.5 or 3.2.6. 10.2.2

The rules have changed a fair amount since the pre-2014 rulebook, I'm certain there are changes since the 2002 rulebook that would be important to know.

Honestly I think the re-test is too easy. I have determined this based on the amount of incorrect RO-ing I see.

The rules have changed a fair amount since the pre-2014 rulebook, I'm certain there are changes since the 2002 rulebook that would be important to know.

Honestly I think the re-test is too easy. I have determined this based on the amount of incorrect RO-ing I see.

10 questions is pretty easy, should be 50 or 100, IMO.

I personally advocated for CRO's to be able to train and certify new RO's. Possibly having a CRO-I designation? This way we could have hands on recerts annually and we could train and certify new RO's locally as needed without paying so much to set up classes and fly in instructors etc. Take a guess at how this was received. lol

A good CRO with some instructor add on training should easily be able to train/recert new RO's in my opinion

Edited by Sarge