Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why annual testing ?

p7fl

OP here.

"Did you understand the question"

"Which way are you going to turn".

10 questions or 50 questions doesn't matter. My friend calls it a Merit Badge. A couple of local GMs still say "load em up" or "lets get going".

But why annual?

And last, can a work group be formed to improve the questions?

For the record, not a bitch at NROI or USPSA just a question. thx..jon

The reason I questioned the "2 feet out" comment is that it is not correct for all faulting. The last part of 10.2.1 only applies to transitions between different shooting areas/boxes. Having both feet out of a shooting area/box (no "new" shooting area involved) falls under the significant advantage part of the rule, so for example, you could fault a rear fault line and still only receive a single procedural if no significant advantage (closer, better view, better stance, better grip) is involved.

I personally advocated for CRO's to be able to train and certify new RO's. Possibly having a CRO-I designation? This way we could have hands on recerts annually and we could train and certify new RO's locally as needed without paying so much to set up classes and fly in instructors etc. Take a guess at how this was received. lol

A good CRO with some instructor add on training should easily be able to train/recert new RO's in my opinion

That could work, if the course material was nailed down. Maybe put the newbies RO from such a program of probation status, where they have to work a certain number matches under supervision and get signed off by a seasoned observer.

I personally advocated for CRO's to be able to train and certify new RO's. Possibly having a CRO-I designation? This way we could have hands on recerts annually and we could train and certify new RO's locally as needed without paying so much to set up classes and fly in instructors etc. Take a guess at how this was received. lol

A good CRO with some instructor add on training should easily be able to train/recert new RO's in my opinion

That could work, if the course material was nailed down. Maybe put the newbies RO from such a program of probation status, where they have to work a certain number matches under supervision and get signed off by a seasoned observer.
I like it!

And for the privilege of volunteering to be an RO USPSA charges you a fee. :angry2:

Do you think the infrastructure needed to bring someone out to teach standardized courses with all supplemental materials doesn't cost anything?

And for the privilege of volunteering to be an RO USPSA charges you a fee. :angry2:

Do you think the infrastructure needed to bring someone out to teach standardized courses with all supplemental materials doesn't cost anything?

How much money is USPSA making?

No R.O.'s, no matches.

How much money is USPSA making?

No R.O.'s, no matches.

In some cases quite a bit. A class I hosted, the RMI drove his car and stayed with a friend. So I traded HQ $800 for a box of class material. :I

I have no idea what the expenses are to put on a class......

Any instructor who drives in and stays with a friend is saving you money -- because technically you're responsible for their hotel and meal reimbursement.

Some of the costs I can see:

• Rulebooks and other course materials -- is that a huge cost per student? No, but likely a few $
  • Shipping of that box to the class -- depending on weight and distance could be a buck or two per student
  • Projectors -- I believe they're furnished by NROI/USPSA and while they've gotten cheaper, they still need to be paid for and need occasional maintenance/new bulbs/replacement of the actual projector. Figure another buck per student -- I could be over/under estimating that by half
  • Flights -- I haven't booked domestic airfare since the mid-90s, but I suspect that the bulk of the money is allocated here. Some places are likely rather cheap to fly to -- Las Vegas, Orlando -- others maybe not so much. And we've got to fly the instructor back home afterwards -- it's good for their morale.... :P:P
  • IIRC discounted courses are available if you're hosting a Level II (??) or Level III match -- those classes may be discounted, but the underlying expenses don't change.
  • NROI Instructor Conference -- I think that's funded out of the NROI budget -- it's essentially an annual meeting of the instructor corps to discuss class training materials, potential rule changes, etc. I think that's a valid use of funds to keep the instructor group on the same page. Again, flights, hotel rooms, meals, and conference space is involved.

Last but not least -- the instructors aren't making money off the classes; the revenue is used to fund programs. So no, not everyone of those $800 dollars is going directly into your class; but I'm ok with subsidizing the education of Range Officers around the country, in an effort to level out expenses for every club/shooter. In the long run it benefits all of us, when our officials know the rules -- and the range commands..... :D:D

Sarge is just upset cuz he ain't got no friends to stay with!

Me? I grab the BE map and start driving in ever widening circles until I find one of you guys that will let me sleep on the couch (preferably inside).

Sometimes I do *a lot* of circles.

Sarge is just upset cuz he ain't got no friends to stay with!

Me? I grab the BE map and start driving in ever widening circles until I find one of you guys that will let me sleep on the couch (preferably inside).

Sometimes I do *a lot* of circles.

No friends=no drama. :)