Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 NSSF World Rimfire Championship

Mark R

24 minutes ago, mosher said:

What is the shooting schedule?  Shoot the match in one day Saturday or split over Saturday and sunday?

With 8 pistol and 8 rifle stages, we will most likely try to get as many in on Saturday as we can and finish up on Sunday...followed by arbitration period and awards/prize tables.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Tom E said:

Side matches on Friday like there were for Alabama State?

As usual...5 stages. Come early. There will be a prize (maybe gun) just for side match...but not sure yet.

12 minutes ago, Mark R said:

As usual...5 stages. Come early. There will be a prize (maybe gun) just for side match...but not sure yet.

Thx, I'm driving down (700 miles) Thursday so I've got Friday to play. Did the same for the State match.

12 hours ago, Dad said:

What time do the side matches start. We cant leave until Son gets out of school thursday, planning to drive to Nashville then on in on Friday.

Side Matches will start at 1 pm Friday and probably run until about 5pm depending on the number of entries.

23 hours ago, Dad said:

What time do the side matches start. We cant leave until Son gets out of school thursday, planning to drive to Nashville then on in on Friday.

Driving thru Nashville was the worst part of my drive to the Al State match. I found another route to get home that didn't go thru Nashville. Will do the same (avoid Nashville) driving to / from Worlds.

On August 4, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Dwight Stearns said:

We have young and for that matter old shooters that have been busting their butts trying to get better in preparation for the world championships... all year shooting state level matches and in some cases winning. What did they win? Sometimes a plaque and a hat. At the state level and even regional level I have no problem with this. But this is the world championships. Now you change the rules. Now that shooter that worked so hard on his/her game may win the match but win practically nothing. On the other hand a shooter that decided on a whim to shoot the world championship because it is close could win one of the top prizes. Sorry! It's just not right.

Just my $.02

This type of decision will always be the new standard. America has been going to the "we're all winners even if you suck" mentality for quite sometime. IMO, this is fine for State type Matches, but the World? One would think that's where the best compete for impressive  prizes. YMMV

Not my decision, I'm just the messenger. The thinking was since all Ruger/NSSF matches are created to draw in new shooters with no movement and just shooting, the new, fairly new, and some experienced would not attend thinking how could they even compete against someone who is throwing a ton of ammo downrange in preparation. Yes, you will be awarded a plaque/trophy for your bragging rights, but the determination was to allow everyone to get to the prize table once and possibly twice, once for table prizes and maybe one for guns.

Have you ever seen the face on a new shooter who wins a rimfire rifle?

Whether it's prizes by placement or random draw, there will always be complaints.

Maybe they need to have a World+ invitational match for all the hotshot shooters who place in the top state and world matches Something to bring up to NSSF.

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 11:03 AM, MarkCO said:

Agreed However, based on the participants that filled out questionnaires, more people wanted Random draw than order of finish. It is also what the host range for Worlds requested.

?  Sounds like you requested the random prize table. 

9 hours ago, Dwight Stearns said:

Nope, I do not like random draw for any major match in any discipline, never have, never will.  State or local, maybe.

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 11:03 AM, MarkCO said:

Agreed However, based on the participants that filled out questionnaires, more people wanted Random draw than order of finish. It is also what the host range for Worlds requested.

My apologies MarkCO. I wasn't clear. I was only using your quote to make the point to Mark R that he was not "just the messenger".  

Edited by Dwight Stearns

10 hours ago, Dwight Stearns said:

My apologies MarkCO. I wasn't clear. I was only using your quote to make the point to Mark R that he was not "just the messenger".  

Dwight, not sure what you are leaning to...I said a few entries above that the team, (range owners, match director, and anyone involved) requested random draw...so yes, I am the messenger....and yes I was on "the team".

When I opened this thread, all I wanted to do is inform you guys. and gals, about the details leading up to the match irregardless of the prize table format. Instead we have a lot of opinions on how it should be run. For me, I don't shoot matches for the prize table, I shoot them because of the comradery, talking with new and old friends, and being around the shooting community. The World match this year will be random draw for prize table and any guns. Perhaps your range can run the worlds next year and you can run the prize table as you see fit. How about it?

For those that are shooting it, I'll see you in October, for those of you not shooting it, I'll see ya down the road.I do not plan to comment any further on the prize table format.

Have a good day!

• 2 weeks later...

S&W is coming in to be a major sponsor...

and Shooting USA will be covering the match.

We are trying to get match hotels setup in Huntsville (20 mi west), Guntersville (5 mi. south), and Scottsboro (20 mi. NE) of the range. Will post once we get the details.

Got an update on the prize table...

Remington, now located here in Huntsville, committed yesterday to donating 15-20 firearms to the World Match...870 shotguns, Model 700s, a few 22 rimfire guns, and not sure what else. That is in addition to the 12 we already purchased and not including the 1 offs and 2 offs from Tactical Solutions and other custom gun manufacturers.

So be ready for about 40-50 guns on the prize table. Way to go Remington!!!

7 minutes ago, ede said:

Mark does each shooter or each entry (in case of 1 person shooting 2 divisions) get a trip to the prize table?

Yes...once for Open and once for Limited. Every entry you have, you will get a 2 part ticket. One part/half of ticket you will deposit in the prize table jug. Keep other part/half for reference.So if you are shooting 2 divisions (open and limited) you will get 2 chances to go up to prize table.