Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 extended magazine release

Polymer

What is the consensus on the extended magazine release for gen 4 for production? There is minimal difference I feel like; only millimeter longer. And it is not possible to put large frame/glock 21 magazine release on the 34?

Edited by Polymer

I run one in my production 34 not really because I feel it gives a significant advantage but more just because it's legal. The part only costs about $5, you can get them from Dawson Precision, so I say why not. I have no experience with a large frame release in a small frame on gen 4 guns so hopefully someone else will chime in.

It's much less of a difference than the extended mag release on the Gen 3, but it does make a difference. I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger for the mag release. The non-extended Gen 4 mag release doesn't work so well for me, when I first switched to a Gen 4 I fumbled a bunch of reloads because of it. The extended mag release helps me a lot. On a Gen 3 I have no problems with the non-extended mag release.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I'm asking to see if it's worthwhile to switch from gen 3 to gen 4 due to my inconsistent ability to reach the gen 3 mag release.

Another question, the 34 gen 4, does it already come with the extended mag release?

Edited by Polymer

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I'm asking to see if it's worthwhile to switch from gen 3 to gen 4 due to my inconsistent ability to reach the gen 3 mag release.

Another question, the 34 gen 4, does it already come with the extended mag release?

That depends. Most come with extended controls, an adjustable rear sight and a 4.5lb dot connector. Mine however was a blue label gun so it came with standard controls, a fixed rear sight and standard 5.5lb connector.

The smaller grip of the Gen 4 & larger button did it for me. When I was moving from 9 to 40 in limited, I went with a Gen 4 G35, MUCH easier to hit the mag release without completely breaking grip.

If I was not buying a new gun, I would have just gone with the extended release.

Unless they've changed this recently I don't think the 34 Gen 4 comes with an extended mag release. Mine's a blue label, it came with a minus connector, adjustable rear sight, extended slide stop, but a normal mag release. They're only around $4 and easy to change.

Thanks everyone. I'm just wondering if there is significant difference between gen 4 with extended mag release vs gen 3 that i have currently with extended mag release. I'm not going to buy new gen 4 and work it up for production if there is essentially no difference.

Gen 4 mag release is larger, more surface area, but doesn't protrude as much as the gen 3. Seems like a wash to me.

Thanks everyone. I'm just wondering if there is significant difference between gen 4 with extended mag release vs gen 3 that i have currently with extended mag release. I'm not going to buy new gen 4 and work it up for production if there is essentially no difference.

Gen 4 mag release is larger, more surface area, but doesn't protrude as much as the gen 3. Seems like a wash to me.

I personally prefer the gen 4 Glocks for 2 reasons, the beavertail backstraps and the mag release. The mag release in standard length or extended is much better than its gen 3 counterpart IMO. The extended gen 3 release is so long that it digs into my weak hand. The standard gen 4 release is superior in shooting comfort and ease of manipulation IMO, and the extended gen 4 is just that much better.

The extended release in my current gen 3 is fine, not too long, doesn't dig into my support hand. I still have to shift my grip to release mag.

The gen 4 34 i handled at the store, i honestly can't tell if it's the extended mag release or not. The larger surface area did make a difference but i still had to shift grip to release mag, and that's with no back strap.

Thanks for everyone's help. I just have long fingers and short thumbs i guess haha

I recently put the Glock extended mag release on my Glock 34 Gen 4. The Glock 34 Gen 4 does not come from the factory with the extended release. The length difference is very slight. I found more improvement by bending the stock mag release spring and eventually changing to a reduced power mag release spring from Rock Your Glock.

http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/RYG-RDMGCT.htm

These changes reduce the force required on the release button to drop the empty mag. Bending the spring causes the button to protrude less from the grip so the extended release helps counteract that effect.

Edited by torchroadster

With the gen3, I always had to melt or file them to break the corners because of how they dug into my hand. Also, I've seen online a case or two of people who pressed them in TOO far and the spring actually slipped out of the hole into an adjacent hole where it's not supposed to be... And they spring pressure became insufficient to hold the mag in place and it looks darn near impossible to get the release removed to fix the problem without destroying the part.