Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon for a newbie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you may get a lot of varying opinions on this. I'm a new reloaded myself (about 4-5 months in, at most), and the advice I received was to start with a turret press, where there is only one operation happening at a time, so you can learn the proper steps and know exactly what to expect. I don't regret the decision to go with the Lee Classic Turret press, but I can understand the allure and desire to go with a progressive press that will meet your needs for the future. It's an individual decision, but there are maybe some questions that can help narrow it down, like:

Do you a mentor, that can show you, in person, how to get started and answer questions?

Do you know what a "good load" looks like, and how to tell signs of problems (for example, flattened primers being a sign of high pressure)?

What are you loading? As a very general statement, you may be less likely to make a mistake (such as overcharging, or failing to charge) a 9mm minor load than a .30-06 rifle load.

Do you have (or will you purchase) the tools to safely reload (powder scales, loading manuals, safe powder, accurate calipers, chronograph, case gauge, etc)?

The previous poster is correct - you can do it. I'm sure this forum, and many others, are full of people who safely learned to reload on a progressive press, and are now past the learning curve. My advice would be to think about your experience level, your personality, your support system, and your attention to detail, and make an honest assessment. Reloading is very safe, and not hard to learn, but at the same time is very detail-oriented and carries harsh penalties when mistakes are made.

I'm sure you'll get some great advice from the mire experienced people here. You may want to consider a post in the general reloading section, also - it may get more attention there.

Good luck, and if you have questions, ask! The people here are great, and very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I learned to reload on a progressive press. I read a ton online here and elsewhere before I purchased. I knew many people said to start with a single stage but I also knew that in about 2 weeks I would be tired of that. So I went straight for the progressive. Its a little tricky to get used to and understand whats happening and how everything should feel. Its slow at first but it comes quick. Good luck and I'm sure all your questions can be answered by someone on here.

I think if you have a modicum of mechanical skills and you learn the in-and-outs of reloading, a Dillon 650 would be no big deal to learn on. The answer to your question will more likely lie in how many rounds and calibers you intend to load per month. I have a 550 and a 650. My 550 is setup specifically to process and reload 5.56. I only load a few hundred rounds a month. This is a fantastic press.

I load pistol rounds on my 650 w/ case feeder. I have quick change tool heads for 9mm and 40 S&W. I load 1,000 to 1,500 rounds a month in those calibers, combined. I'm new to reloading and had no problems setting up the press. I recently purchased a Mr. Bullet Feeder and will have it setup this weekend. I want my reloading to be as efficient a process as possible, while producing high-quality rounds. I don't load enough round to justify a Super 1050, which is fine as I couldn't afford one anyway.

if you haven't already, take a look at Brian's store and read what he has to say about choosing a press.

Best of luck!

Jebeckjr and armydad hit it on the head - you need to have some mechanical aptitude

and some basic understanding of reloading (or be mentored).

We've had people post that their first reloader was a 650, and they loved it.

But, it all depends on what jebeckjr and armydad said ...

And, it is Very Important to realize that once you set up the press, DO NOT

sit down and load up 500 or 1,000 rounds before you go to the range and

test them, in YOUR gun, and Your mags, over a chrono.

Load up 10 or 20, and test them (do The Plunk Test first) - make sure they

do what you want them to do, and THEN, load 50 and make sure they

continue to perform properly BEFORE you load 500 of them.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

No reason it can't be done.

I bought into a lot of the nonsense about started this way, or starting that way (of course I had zero reloading knowledge). Started with a 550b, but within six months upgraded to a s1050. Knowing what I know now, I would have surely started with the xl650. Reloading is a journey, with many paths that can be taken.

xl650 is an excellent press (bought one after my s1050), and if you plan on doing any sort of volume I think its the best option (with a case feeder that is). If you can find someone to help you get off the ground, that would be a good start (being mechanically inclined one hurt either). Remember you are not only learning to reload, but you will also be learning the nuances of the xl650... which some people may find a little overwhelming.

As other have said, take your time and do the homework required.

~g

I plan on doing just 9 major rounds, about 1000 to 1500 a month, high end. I do have someone that can help but he is not familiar with a Dillon, but has been reloading for years. Planning on moving into an open gun, seems like the only way to go instead of buying 9 major from ammo supplier which I have only found 1 and it was almost 400 dollars for 1k.

Here's my 2 cents ......if you are new to the hand loading concept ......see if there is an NRA Metallic loading class offered anywhere near you .....TAKE IT !!!......best thing imdidmstarting out.

If you feel a compulsion to continue with the hobby.....get the 650... Case feeder , extra primer tunes, spare parts kit......and Brian Enos DVD..Competiton Reloading.......this is an excellent guide to setup, operation and safety for your 650... It's a little,dated but still excellent....should be included with every 650.

See if you can hook up with a mentor who is familiar with your set up. I found most reloaders are more than willing to share knowledge without reservation. Go slow, be safe and just think about every step!!!!

Get a 650 with a casefeeder.

Just got my case feeder today. It makes me really sad I didn't get it sooner.

I will tell you the MrBulletfeeder mini is a waste of time. It is faster just to put em on one at a time. I plan on upgrading to the real Mrbulletfeeder soon that should get rid of the issue I have with the Mini (you still have to handle each piece of lead).

If you have never reloaded at all then I'd get a single stage - as you will find a lot of uses for it later on. Get with Brian and get all the stuff you will need for the 650 later and the SS initially. After a little practice, get the 650. Dies are interchangeable with the SS and the 650. SDBs are good but they use their own unique dies so can't be switched around. If you have a friend with some experience have them help you get started.

Good luck and have a lot of fun !

I plan on doing just 9 major rounds, about 1000 to 1500 a month, high end. I do have someone that can help but he is not familiar with a Dillon, but has been reloading for years. Planning on moving into an open gun, seems like the only way to go instead of buying 9 major from ammo supplier which I have only found 1 and it was almost 400 dollars for 1k.

9 major isn't for the faint of heart with an open gun. I would first buy a cheap lee single station and learn to not blow up your gun. The press and die will be 125-150. The other stuff, scale, caliper, brass tumbler, chrono, etc will be needed no matter what. Figure out what powder, bullet, primer safely works ...build 1000 or more on batches of 50-100. Then upgrade based more on knowledge you earned of stuff you learned. The single station with a bullet puller die is handy for when you fubar a large batch. Trust me...2000 with a hammer....uggg.

You can probably do 1000 rounds of 9mm major for $110-200 depending on your choice of components. I do 9 minor for about $110-120 /1k using coated lead bullets.

Dillon is top shelf stuff by the way.

Edited by johnbu

I was a beginner and my first was a 1050. If you're going to get a machine for making one caliber and a lot of it quickly, 1050. If you're going to be bouncing around between calibers all the time, 650.

If you have a good mentor and are reasonably mechanical you can be a beginner and start with a 650 or 1050. Don't bother with anything less.