Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best follower for MBX 140/170 tubes

BallisticianX

In preparation of receiving my new Bedell 38 SC (to retire my Tanfo gold team in 9mm) I got some MBX 140 mags. The MBX followers are odd. At first glance they look like a phenolic material, like green bakelite. But it appears they are some kind plastic composite. I guess its the non-traditional look and the rough texture that makes me wonder if they work. I used Grams in my Tanfo mags and they were flawless, not one feeding problem in 6000 rounds. Of course I dont have the gun yet to test these MBX followers in order to confirm or discredit my doubts. I just want to have the mags setup right before hand to prevent solving possible issues later on. So what are your thoughts here, MBX worth keeping or am I better off with Grams or am I good to go with either of them. Thoughts?

Ive been running complete MBX mags for 9 major for about a 1.5 years now. They are for real! 75K+ down the pipe with these things.

30+1 for all my 170s right out of the bag. 24+1 with my 140s.

Their follower looks to be 3D printed.

In preparation of receiving my new Bedell 38 SC (to retire my Tanfo gold team in 9mm) I got some MBX 140 mags. The MBX followers are odd. At first glance they look like a phenolic material, like green bakelite. But it appears they are some kind plastic composite. I guess its the non-traditional look and the rough texture that makes me wonder if they work. I used Grams in my Tanfo mags and they were flawless, not one feeding problem in 6000 rounds. Of course I dont have the gun yet to test these MBX followers in order to confirm or discredit my doubts. I just want to have the mags setup right before hand to prevent solving possible issues later on. So what are your thoughts here, MBX worth keeping or am I better off with Grams or am I good to go with either of them. Thoughts?

This is a solid follower. Springs have to change at about 15,000 but thats it. Try them, I love mine! I'm about to sell all my sti and svi mags and get all mbx's.

All of my MBX mags work well with both the green non-lock back followers and the larger grey lock back followers. One of the things I like about the green follower is you do not have to modify it in any way to prevent slide lock. It will not hold the slide open even if you have an unmodified slide stop. That is a big plus for me, because some matches require slide lock. I don't want to change slide stops, so all I have to do is swap out the springs and followers to change back and forth.

Grams followers in my STI mag and Taran Tactical followers in my Infinity mag will both lock the slide back with one round in the mag unless you alter the followers.

They are OK, but according to many (myself included) they are 29 rounders, not 30. Perhaps there have been different lots, I don't know, but some people had less luck than others.

All stock, zero issues. 30 rounds of 9 major in the 170, 29 reloadable. 24 in the 140, 23 reloadable.

Some people claim the big stick is a 29 rounder, but I've proven 2 people wrong by using an UPLULA. You have to cram it in there. I go 30+1 at every major, zero issues. Adrian stands behind his product as well.

If you are able to get 30 rounds in your MBX big stick, make sure you don't have to use excessive force to get it to lock in with a polymer grip. I cracked one at the mag release after just a few matches of whacking the bottom of the mag to get it to lock in the gun.

but I've proven 2 people wrong by using an UPLULA.

Like WOW! Something new every day! :)

Yeah, I can us a Uplula to CRAM 29 in my MBX 170 (with stock internals), but it's not loadable and stresses the grip. With TTI internals I can get 29 in by hand (reloadable), but it still won't do 30. Same for my MBX 140, which take 23 but not 24, no matter what.

They're actually somewhat variable, one to another. Just because you have one than can doesn't mean that everybody has the same thing.

(And yes, I'm pretty sure I know how to use a Uplula loader, and I've seen the MBX video.)

I have two 170's, purchased some months apart, and I can jam 30 into one - but would not do that in a match. The other one - no way Jose, 29 is all it accepts.

Which is perfectly fine with me, I really don't see any advantage in asking for potential problem for the sake of being able to tell people you can start with 31. I start COMFORTABLY with 30 using either the SVI mags, or the MBX's - so I perhaps overpaid for the MBX's slightly, but no big deal, I like trying new things.

Well, to add on to my earlier comments, my MBX mags work reliably in my Open gun, for both .38SC and 9major. My STI mags (TTI or Gram internals, TTI base pads) are okay for the 140s and not reliable for the 170, and not at all reliable for 9major, no matter what I do to them.

I need to get a couple more MBXs, for that reason. It's probably just my gun; no two act the same. :goof:

I have SVI stainless grips, but I do not like applying too much force - something is going to break at some point. If it takes more than just a gentle push, then I can do without it.

Good info coming from you guys. Thanks. I havent tried to load up my mags to there capacity yet. But I never force anything in either a mag or the gun. Everything needs to be smooth and almost effortless or it creates problems. As the old saying goes "things in life are like a fart, if you force it you end up with shit!"