Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P.C.C. harder than it looks?

blaster113

Anyone else try P.C.C. and realize its a bit harder than it looks?

We just ran our first local match with pistol caliber carbines in the mix. My stage times were better with my Limited STI shooting L10 vs. my Aimpoint equipped 9mm AR. Movement and target acquisition was a little trickier with the carbine vs. handgun.

Maybe P.C.C. will be more fun if Hawaii allowed SBR's...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some extra attention to gun handling skills is in order. Guy showed up shooting PCC at a local. I was interested to see him run it. On his second stage he was handing his case to someone and went over the top of his gun and I had to DQ him. Sucked for him, sucked for me.

Has everyone's stage times dropped when running a P.C.C.?

I would say that on stages with steel, targets past 15 yards and when I get to skip positions, the PCC is faster. On speed shoots, stages with required reloads and open targets inside 15 yards, the pistol is faster.

the tighter shots are harder with pcc. easier to lean around a barricade with a pistol, including possibility to one-hand it, than with a long gun.

and yes i def need reloading practice, can reload way faster with a handgun currently.

That's been my position all along. You don't challenge PCC shooters by giving them long shots that the platform is inherently good at. You challenge them by giving them tight shots and walls and ports to maneuver around.

Folks who are used to shooting Open/CO pistols or red dot on rifle for 3GUN seems to rip it from the get-go in our area for PCC. And like Open vs Limited, which platform has an advantage (pistol or PCC) depends on the stage.

the tighter shots are harder with pcc. easier to lean around a barricade with a pistol, including possibility to one-hand it, than with a long gun.

and yes i def need reloading practice, can reload way faster with a handgun currently.

I would contend that all shots are easier with a PCC. The transition and reload speed is where the pistol beats the PCC.

If you have some 3gun/CQB rifle experience then the transition to PCC is very fluid. When I shot PCC at the beginning of the month I compared my results with a open shooter of the same level. Honesty except for one stage, our times were pretty similar. We had a few stages that had long shots +25 yards, and surprisingly that was the stages he would beat me on due to points. Needing to slow down to aim at further targets for PCC minor gets negated by open shooters who can get Major scoring points. The one stage that I absolutely won with no contention was where I could engage almost all targets moving left to right on a stage, being able to keep 3 points of contact on the PCC gun allows more of a predictable bounce in your dot, making easier to predict your shots on the move.

I have close quarter experience from a stint on my employer's unit which specialized in such things. But, that was many moons ago and now the bulk of my trigger time is with an STI Limited gun. This last match was full of super tight positions where the length of the carbine was a hindrance. And I was the M.D. who designed the stages :angry2:. The only stage that I tore ass on was a simple speed shoot with 4 paper targets and 8 poppers.

You guys are right. Stage layout will dictate which platform has the advantage with handgun vs. carbine. Considering the stages of all the majors and local matches I've been to, I'm not sure a P.C.C. has that much more of an overall advantage over an Open/Limited gun. Maybe if I had more trigger time with a dot it would be different.

Advantage:

rifle: long or tight shots

pistol: close targets/tight quarters/mandatory reloads

This was from my local match earlier this month

Wow, that short barrel looks super easy to handle. SIG MPX? Me likey.

I used to love the MP5 during entries because it was so easy to handle. The damn M4's would get caught on everything.

Has everyone's stage times dropped when running a P.C.C.?

I would say that on stages with steel, targets past 15 yards and when I get to skip positions, the PCC is faster. On speed shoots, stages with required reloads and open targets inside 15 yards, the pistol is faster.
I lived this statement the last match... Was first in all stages where I had some advantage of shooting stationary; however, the classifiers that required two reloads... 12th!!! It doesn't help being left-handed. I also had a stage where I got drawn in too close to a port and had to burn time getting to a position where I could shoot. All in all what a blast. Absolutely loved it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) I'll have to get down to a Pueblo match and squad with you and Curtis. I think there are going to be some cool things to be done with PCC and I really like it as well.

I would contend that all shots are easier with a PCC. The transition and reload speed is where the pistol beats the PCC.

I had no issue with reloads using a Sub2k. It was exactly like reloading a pistol.

I had no issue with reloads using a Sub2k. It was exactly like reloading a pistol.

I was using a Sub2000. In drills, at least a half a second faster with a pistol per reload. If you have some great technique, can you show us a video doing pistol and Sub2000 reloads. Can always learn new techniques. :)

I was using a Sub2000. In drills, at least a half a second faster with a pistol per reload. If you have some great technique, can you show us a video doing pistol and Sub2000 reloads. Can always learn new techniques. :)

I'd love to, but it's long gone. Unemployment sucks. If you loan me yours, I'll show you how it's done, though.

Skip about half way in to see some shooting rather than a old guy talking.

Pistol vs PCC

The spits on the one pair of plates at 15 yards, I don't think can be done as easily as it can be with the PCC

The splits on the US popper yea.

The rat a tat on the 35 yards B C Zome MGM Steel? You tell me if you could with your comp gun.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

The learning curve is steep for pistol shooters with no long-gun experience. We are seeing a lot of very experienced handgunners crawling clumsily through stages with their PCC that they would burn down with their pistol. I am sure this will just be temporary... once they get the hang of it, they should see a marked improvement.

The learning curve is steep for pistol shooters with no long-gun experience. We are seeing a lot of very experienced handgunners crawling clumsily through stages with their PCC that they would burn down with their pistol. I am sure this will just be temporary... once they get the hang of it, they should see a marked improvement.

I agree.