Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range bag decision

Justinmac13

I am curious why you guys want/are using a backpack style? I like a regular bag with a good shoulder strap and just wonder why a backpack would be preferred? Are your stages waaayyyy far part or is parking a mile away? Not at all trying to be smart, I am wondering what I am missing.

In my case 5-6 years of carrying a heavy should bag in my previous occupation left me with back, shoulder and neck issues, that I've worked pretty hard to eradicate and don't want back. So a backpack distributes the load better.....
Same here. Recovering from back surgery as I type this as a matter of fact. Too much rucking in the Army. As much as I love the Shooters Connection conventional bags everything just sort of laid inside in a pile. With an upright bag things can be compartmentalized much more efficiently. Less digging!:)

Another vote here for backpacks for beat up neck/back/shoulders. I ditched my old shoulder bag and got one of LA Police Gear's "Operator" backpacks.

Pros: Wears pretty comfy, good pockets layout, good handles, removable waist strap, colors other than black so your crap doesn't get sucked into the Bermuda triangle, sturdy material and lining, haven't had any stitching problems, side pockets big enough to hold water bottles, stands upright on it's own, cheap price/good value. I don't use the molle but it has enough to look like a X-mas tree.

Cons: Haven't had any to complain about. I pulled a pull string off a zipper but easy fix.

• 1 month later...

I've had the Midway large range bag for a couple years... I think I paid $20 or $30 on sale? For the price it's been fantastic, but objectively, it's been pretty poor. The brass bag fell off (just walking across the range, the clip failed). Most of the zipper pulls have failed. One seam has blown. The velcro on the main flap has detached 75% of the way, etc. I've repaired it with some Shoe Goo just bonding the whole thing back together. Honestly though, when mine fails, I might buy it again if I can get it on sale. For the money, it's hard to say no. It's cavernous, holds everything I need, and has had "acceptable" durability.

I've handled the GPS backpack though and if I decided to spend some real money on a range bag, that's probably the direction I would go.

I ended up going with the daa medium bag, so far I have been very happy with it. Only complaint so far is its not the most comfortable to wear as a backpack, but I typically do not have it on that long anyway.

I recently switched to a LA Police gear basic plus range back. A little smaller then my midway bag, but still holds everything and keeps me from loading more and more extra stuff.

Anybody have a general idea of when shooters connection's backpack go "in stock"? I imagine they ship as soon as they get them in to people who have back ordered. The DAA med looks awesome, but if I can save $60 and only have to wait 1 month or so I will. If it's like 6mo I will just eat the $60 and get the DAA.

I have the 5.11 large Range bag and it works fantastic. For matches i have that, a cooler, and a few other items in one of the canvas wagons you get at Dick's Sporting goods. Since i've gone to the wagon it just seems to make things easier. On days where it looks like rain I can add the umbrella and rain covers.

I have been considering this bag from eBay. Seems like a good deal and looks like decent quality $75

.ebay.com/itm/Range-Bag-with-Large-Padded-Deluxe-Tactical-Divider-and-9-Clip-Mag-Holder-Black-/172183945455?hash=item2816f680ef:g:qyYAAOSwQPlV-yfP

Had to remove the http and www because I am a new member and can't post links

Edited by Jdk32581

The DAA medium now contains everything I had in a Shooters Connection Large Range bag. I use it on the DAA cart and just fold the shoulder straps inside the cart edges, fits perfect. One of the things I like about it is it is so stiff, just won't collapse like many others I had.

I have been using the UTG backpacks since I started breaking the straps and ripping edges of my big name expensive backpacks. I normally carry about 300-400 rounds of 40sw ammo w/ 200gr heads plus and extra pistol and my gear and it can get heavy. these bags have been holding off better than the rest that I owned.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A3222113011%2Cp_4%3AUTG

On 6/19/2016 at 7:29 PM, Sarge said:

I appreciate your confidence but don't just take one guys opinion as gospel. I like to carry lots of stuff when I shoot. About the only thing I leave in the truck is spare gun and tools/parts. I like to have gun case, ammo, cmore batteries and wrench, rain gear, lube, muffs, glass cases, timer, squib rod, rule book, overlays, knife, rag, lunch and drinks with me during a match. The large DAA backpack allows me to do that easily. BUT, it really can't be carried, at least not by me. As a matter of fact I cut the straps off of it so it is forever a cart only bag. Heck, I even have a built in seat and umbrella for shade on my rig. I have a rather large footprint at matches. ;)

But on the other end of the spectrum I know a few guys who shoot Glocks and just keep their mags on the belt all the time. They put glasses and muffs on at the car and just carry a small bag of ammo.

So I think it matters a whole lot how you want to operate at matches.

Any of the bags mentioned in this thread will more than get the job done.

I carry the same items, minus the rain suit if the weather forecast is good and I visual see that the weather is clear.

HOWEVER, I carry my spare pistol with me for 2 reasons.  1.  To keep my #1 pistol honest and so that it can keep its title of #1 pistol and 2. MAINLY so that I do not have to spend up to 20-30 minutes walking from the stage to the car and back to the stage.   UGH...........