Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking I want to dabble with DA/SA

Been shooting USPSA for about 2.5 years. I'm a middle level "B" shooter that has so far has run a XDm to where I'm at now. I don't think that the equipment is in any way holding me back.

Lately I have the itch to try running a DA/SA gun. I have no experience shooting this type of semi-auto. Seems like this is a pretty wide open market to try. Looks like I can jump in for anywhere between a EAA SAR KP6 or Canik for in the $300 range up to the Tanfo/CZs.

Which end of the spectrum should I be looking in? I have no idea if it will stick or I'll just end up with another range toy.

Edited by aandabooks

It's worth the try as long as you don't expect it to push you to A! (coming from another B shooter) It might be something new that would make you practice more and maybe that would make a difference.

Since you've been doing it a while, I'd suggest a customized SP-01 or Stock 2 since you'd enjoy the upgrades to focus it on competition more than the standard trigger and sights (which leave a lot to be desired). You could probably find a used one on here for a good price, and I think it'd hold its value well if you decided you didn't like it.

Best option would be to try someone's at a local club, if you haven't already, to see which fits you better.

Edited by IronicTwitch

CZ makes a nice line of pistols. The CZP09s can be a DA/SA with decocker, or SA with a slide mounted safety. They are reliable and accurate and inexpensive if you want to try out the system without kicking into the $1K realm for their higher end pistols.

I have a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow built by Mathew Mink. My DA is a smooth 6.5 and my SA is a smooth 3.0. I have tried other guns in production (Glock, M&P), but the CZ has worked best for me.

Might I suggest you purchase a CZ P-09 from Cajan Guns already set up for competition as the most cost effective package for Production Division. I have one and it's great for the price. Everything you need except holster, magazines and ammo.

It depends on the size of your hands and possibly the length of your fingers.

A DA/SA gun will definitely make you a better shooter, due to the increased practice on trigger control at a much higher pull weight. CZs are smallish, Tanfos are large. The DA shot is something that you focus on a lot when you first get the gun, and your trigger control gains are very fast during that time.

Don't forget to work on your grip.

I tried a CZ Shadow over the weekend. It was one that was built by Matt Mink and it was well shot. The DA pull was not a big deal and the gun felt good in the hand. I have shot some revolver in the past with DA triggers in the 6-7lb range.

How about the CZ 75B? I see where I can get into one for about $600. Seems reasonable to try out but not a huge financial commitment.

The 75B is pretty much the worst CZ has to offer, I strongly recommend an SP01 instead for the following reasons:

-Extended beaver tail

-Ambidextrous mag release/safeties compatible with the extended versions

-checkering on the frame

-rubber grips (far better than the cheesy plastic ones

-longer curved trigger

-better sights

Double to single action is no big thing. I have a CZ Phantom that shoots better than I can. DA first shot is right there. Transition to sa is easy. Can't go wrong with a CZ. Don't have any experience with anything else.

Richard

Double to single action is no big thing. I have a CZ Phantom that shoots better than I can. DA first shot is right there. Transition to sa is easy. Can't go wrong with a CZ. Don't have any experience with anything else.

Richard

I agree. I think a majority of people who complain specifically about the DA to SA transition are actually saying, "I don't like the long, heavy DA pull."

Edited by TacticalReload

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't made a decision yet, I'd like to add a different perspective. Since you just want to "Try it", take a look at the CZ clones that you mentioned. With a little work, outlined in this forum and CZ forum, a few spring changes and polishing, a low 3lb SA is achievable. Will it be the equal of a Stock 11 or Custom SP01? It will be less than half the cost for a try out tho. I have a Canik P120 SP01 clone, 3.2 SA, 6.5 DA, CZ tact sights, shoots soft with 147's and if you decide not to compete with it, stick a lite on it for a nite stand gun. I'd love to go see Angus (CZ Custom) and have him build me a full on SP01 but my financial advisor would be "upset" let's say. Obviously I'm new but my 2cts.

Edited by sloboataz

• 3 months later...

If you want a relatively inexpensive DA/SA gun I think the guy that mentioned to CZ P09 is onto something. CZ has a huge following with a ton of aftermarket parts available so you wouldn't have an issues making the trigger something pretty nice. That being said you can get the triggers on those XDm's to be pretty nice for a striker gun. You may see a bigger advantage going to a 40oz+ steel gun over another polymer option. 

Like you have only been shooting USPSA for about 2 years. I started with a Glock 17, quickly went to a 34. I was initially classified as a "C" shooter the end of 2015. Bought a Tanfoglio Stock 2 in September of 15', messed with the trigger a little over the winter. By July of 2016 I was reclassified as an "A" and am knocking on the door of master class. The triggers are important, but having a big heavy cheater gun has made more of a difference for me. Im sure a P09 or something equivalent would be an excellent option but maybe save your money and go pick up a CZ-75 Shadow equivalent.  

I went with a Limited Pro.. Done a bunch of the trigger upgrades and have the trigger way down.. Got to start my winter dryfire routine since outdoor matches are going to be drying up.  

Keeping my XDM as a backup production gun or if my son wants to switch to it for awhile then his G34 becomes the backup gun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Have run Glocks exclusively for years in competition, then tried a friend's CZ CTS 9mm.  Until that point I never considered switching to SA/DA...6 months latter I am the proud owner of a CZ Shadow and don't see myself ever going back.  Heavy/accurate/customizable...just fantastic.