Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Texas Star ?

I'm sure this is not the proper place but........we are looking to purchase a Texas Star for our small club and seeking input from any owners....good, bad , problems, etc.

Thanks in advance.

John

The Original design by Terry is the best, now made by GT. MGM makes incredible targets but their star is lacking a bit, the release and hold in just isn't up to the standard that Terry set. Might however be ideal for rifle.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions........any experiences with a Star that uses magnets as opposed to springs ???

Sounds like a great premis , just wondering if it holds up...rust etc. Thanks again....quite an investment......

Go with GT. I love MGM products but loathe their star. It's great as a shooter, but a match nightmare for a stage. When shooting 3gun and I have a star for shotgun I always send my first round into the center. I am guaranteed atleast two plate falls. At rockcastle in 2014 a center hit guaranteed 5 fallen plates. The original star from GT seems to work much better in my experience.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions........any experiences with a Star that uses magnets as opposed to springs ???

Sounds like a great premis , just wondering if it holds up...rust etc. Thanks again....quite an investment......

I've never seen them but really like the idea. if you end up with that one make sure to report back!

The GT/Ashton works the best. We have an early one that sits in the shed most of time now.

If your shooters know how to shoot one already, I'd put my money on more poppers or swingers

or max traps.

The star is a pain in the butt to set-up, and it's novelty wears off pretty quick for most shooters.

I ordered the Red Stitch star yesterday ....the magnetic holders for the plates are very interesting. Darin..the owner , was very helpful sending additional photos and answering questions.

Will give you an update after we get it setup,and shot at .

Thanks to everyone for your responses !!!

• 6 months later...
I ordered the Red Stitch star yesterday ....the magnetic holders for the plates are very interesting. Darin..the owner , was very helpful sending additional photos and answering questions.

Will give you an update after we get it setup,and shot at .

Thanks to everyone for your responses !!!

Just following up on this - how has the star worked out? I have to replace two MGM stars worth of springs and it is over $100. I would love to not have this maintenance any longer!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 1:50 PM, ctay said:

Just following up on this - how has the star worked out? I have to replace two MGM stars worth of springs and it is over $100. I would love to not have this maintenance any longer!

Couple clubs I shoot with have different Texas Stars. One has a couple of the originals that Terry made, springs if replaced yearly give no problem, plus they are available at a hardware store. One club has a Redstich, easy reset, you need to make a solid hit to knock the plates off. The last club has a MGM, always needs springs, or hand full of shot gun hulls. That club just got a Redstitch.

One thing I like about the original Texas Star is being 2 pieces one person can set it up, or load it in a truck.

Edited by The Donald

On 7/3/2016 at 8:26 AM, eddiegunks said:

we have been using the MGM for two years at our club. everyone loves it. works perfectly. no maintenance required so far.....just some grease.

No maintenance.... just some maintenance? 

I brought my personal Red Stitch Tactical Magstar out for USPSA and 3-gun this weekend. Nearly 100 shooters. Got blasted by shotguns and handguns. Only had 1 complaint of a "malfunction". When pressed no one could verify he was actually hitting the plate not the end of the arm. I had at least a dozen guys ask me where I got it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Long term follow up on our Red Stitch star....extremely satisfied.....had some bolts come loose but the magnet system has held up well.

Ordered some spare magnets and haven’t used any......highly recommend!

thanks......