Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly coated bullets with no lube ring

nickbfishn

Really doesn't matter which ones you buy as they almost all use the same coating (except Blue Bullets) with different colors. Pick the place that is closest to you so that you get them in one or two days. No groove from Blue Bullets works fine in my 1911 loaded short. Could be wrong, but IIRC they also went to no lube groove because as they started making heavier bullets you would have to seat them further in the case to get the same OAL. With the lube groove gone you could make the bullet shorter and not have to seat quite so far down into the case.

• 1 month later...

Using SNS no groove 180 FP in .40. Very pleased with this bullet. Groups on target are excellent. Bullet leaves no debris on the Dillon while loading. Believe they offer a discount code when ordering on case level. 

• 2 months later...

Also like BBI (10/180 no lube ring, 45 200's do have ring).  I also use Acme as they have no lube ring on the 200's and discount code for BE users, but I do see bits of red around the press after a loading session (not a lot, just a few pieces here and there).   

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, pbcaster45 said:

LOL!  I know this is an old thread but Blue Bullets work great!  Here my Trophy Match barrel after 200 rounds and a single dry cleaning patch.  Bullet was the 230 gr. RNFP.

IMG_0167.JPG

Awesome.

That's very encouraging to see.  I'm sitting on a good stash of Blue Bullets in 200gr swc   & 125gr rn.     Just waiting on me to either set up my 650....or send it back to Dillon to exchange for a 750.

Good to know the bullets are running clean for you.

What powders have you been using with Blue Bullets ?

I've got some TiteGroup and HS6.    

Also, have you had to do anything different than normal on expanding case head prior to seating ?   

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do anything special for this load.  I've only chronographed it with small pistol primers and it just made 165 PF, using large pistol primers should bring up the velocity a little.

Bullet:  Blue Bullets 230 gr. RNFP (Polymer Coated/.452)
Powder:  VihtaVuori N310 3.8 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Mixed Blazer & Federal       
LOAL:  1.250

Recoil Spring:  Factory (16 lbs.) No Buffer Pad
Velocity:  721.87 fps  
ES:  42.16 
SD:  14.21

Here's a load with Titegroup which I haven't had a chance to chrongraph.  I  used 4.6 grs. of Titegroup too - but it was a little snappier.  

Bullet:  Blue Bullets 230 gr. RNFP (Polymer Coated/.452)
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.3 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Large Pistol
Case:  Winchester & Remington .45 ACP

LOAL:  1.250
Recoil Spring:  Factory (16 lbs.) No Buffer Pad

On 1/24/2019 at 2:46 PM, ahab1933 said:

Caution.. WEIGH the bullets,, the new style weigh more, The powers to be did not shorten body for the extra lead

they used. I will not use non lube grove style bullets until they correct design, I tried them once. no more.

Just curious as to what you feel needs to be corrected?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for the article I found, that found - all other things being equal - that coated bullets with the lube rings were slightly more accurate and slightly faster than the non-lube-ring equivalents. On that basis, I'm going to continue to order my SNS 200gr SWC with the lube rings because otherwise it seems to be a pure coinflip between the two.

Interesting.  Slightly faster due to the reduced bearing surface area...is that the thinking?  And with lube groove more accurate?  I've heard that the no lube groove versions are more accurate because of the increased bearing surface.  It's interesting discussion but I don't think it matters enough for action shooting sports in regards to accuracy or velocity to have a discernible impact.  Lube groove or no lube groove, they work well for me.  No lube groove allows one to load to a longer OAL in some cases and that can be beneficial in 19/2011 style pistols.  I also like the no lube groove for the slightly added extra weight (a grain or 2) at the chrono station.

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:39 PM, dsa said:

Interesting.  Slightly faster due to the reduced bearing surface area...is that the thinking?  And with lube groove more accurate?  I've heard that the no lube groove versions are more accurate because of the increased bearing surface.  It's interesting discussion but I don't think it matters enough for action shooting sports in regards to accuracy or velocity to have a discernible impact.  Lube groove or no lube groove, they work well for me.  No lube groove allows one to load to a longer OAL in some cases and that can be beneficial in 19/2011 style pistols.  I also like the no lube groove for the slightly added extra weight (a grain or 2) at the chrono station.

I know this was last posted back in August, but if your question still stands - the difference in speed is a result of case capacity and bullet weight. If we compare an existing bullet style (with lube groove) to the same bullet with the groove removed, it'll be heavier. To correct the weight, usually the base is shortened; that results in more case capacity, lower pressure, and lower velocity for a given powder charge. Seating the bullet that same amount deeper will bring velocity back to where it was.

The difference in bearing surface doesn't have much affect on velocity.

Differences in accuracy happen because the bullet balance is changed. Sometimes it's better, but with certain designs that are balanced really well with a lube groove, accuracy can get worse when the groove is removed. If the whole bullet is re-designed for correct balance without a groove, accuracy can be just as good or better. Like you said though, we're talking about small accuracy differences, in a sport where it doesn't really matter much. 

I cast and coat my own, and have removed the lube grooves from a number of my bullet molds, so I have had the opportunity to do some direct back-to-back comparisons with them.