Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly coated bullets with no lube ring

nickbfishn

Wanted to try reloading coated bullets to save some coin. Anyone have experience with the new style coated bullets that don't have a lube ring?

Also, I've found them online from Acme, blue bullets, SNS, and black bullets. Any suggestions here or other brands to try?

My goal is to save coin but be able to shoot a clean and accurate round.

Thanks!

Second the Black Bullets. I use the 125 grain 9mm in my CZ. No issues at all. I can squeeze 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards, so they are plenty accurate. When you seat them, you might have to bell the case a smidgen more than plated to make sure you aren't damaging the coating. This was a simple adjustment and wasn't an issue for me. No smoke issues to speak of using titegroup powder. Save some money on the bullets and shoot more.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Two not mentioned yet but worth a look are Leatherhead and Bayou. I've used both in addition to the others listed. They all work fine. There are some subtle differences in price, shipping and customer service but that's about it. My suggestion is always to purchase a few sample packs from a few different vendors and go from there.

Well 5 replies and all positive. Looks like I'm ordering some to sample. Probably go with the Blue because they offer a sampler pack that saves $1 on shipping. I'll post results afterwards. And thanks for the tip inspector1999, I'll try a couple first to get that sorted out before I set up to run them all. Happy Friday gents!

Almost all offer some type of sampler pack, usually in bags of 100. I usually order two or three bags to try, because it takes a while to develop a load and chrono them. Even though most use the same coating, they are not the same. I'd also suggest you get either the Lyman M series 2-step expanding die or the Mr. Bulletfeeder expander/powder funnel if using a Dillon or Hornady LnL. Coating thickness varies and so does bullet diameter, so you want to be sure you don't cut the coating when seating.

First generation coated bullets were usually out of regular molds with lube grooves.

Got coating, don't need lube.

I was sorry my coated bullet source went to smooth sided because the new mold had a little different nose shape, too. Fortunately they seat nearly the same and feed in a very finicky gun.

I was sorry my coated bullet source went to smooth sided because the new mold had a little different nose shape, too. Fortunately they seat nearly the same and feed in a very finicky gun.

What brand are you using now?

I have been shooting poly coated bullets with a lube ring for a couple of years. Zero problems. In fact, for the heavier weight bullets, I prefer them. Without the ring you have more bearing surface. That slows the bullet down so you need more powder to make PF than you if the ring were present. I also don't have any problem shooting 140gr 40 cal poly coated bullets with a lube ring. They crimp and shoot fine.

As far as I know, this whole no-lube-ring thing started because 2011 shooters had to load 40sw long to get them to feed properly. With many bullets, that meant the crimp was either in the ring or in a spot that did not give a good enough grip to prevent setback at firing. I've never had any problem with SAAMI length loadings.

Then it sounds like I can save a few pennies and simply purchase 45's with the line ring. Makes sense on the .40's because I know with my limcat I have to load at 1.175 for the gun to run properly and that would put the lube ring dangerously close to or maybe even in the crimp.

• 3 weeks later...

I coat my own now but used Precision bullets (the first successful coated bullet) for years. I preferred the cast bullets that had the groove before David started swaging them without the groove. Made the bullets shorter, a bit more difficult to collate.

Check the diameters from the various companies, the coated bullets are generally pretty soft and I've found that the larger diameter ones seem to be the most accurate. Same as lead bullets are usually 1 to 3 thousandths larger than jacketed.

Rode up for a visit and pick up bullets from Chandler at BBI. Was very impressed with his operation, clean, neat and very well organized.

Makes a good bullet, supports the shooting sports. Great guy good product.

Rode up for a visit and pick up bullets from Chandler at BBI. Was very impressed with his operation, clean, neat and very well organized.

Makes a good bullet, supports the shooting sports. Great guy good product.

I exclusively use BBI'S from Chandler. Chandler has helped me out tremendously. He makes great bullets and will even help you out with reloading data for his bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out today that my dad has been reloading poly coated bullets with the lube ring and he never uses lube...ever. Has loaded and shot thousands this way without any issues. Anyone else do this!

The poly coat replaces the lube. I have been shooting them almost a year now (on and off). I load and shoot coated and plated. Coated, smokey, less than lubed, more than plated.

I prefer coated to be grooveless .  Seating is smooth, neck tension is good... and COL is exactly where I want.  

More of an issue with 40 loaded long, but I tend to seek out all coated exclusively in grooveless now.  Unless I get a killer deal!  :P