Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA swinger targets

ultimase

So after the last match was comparing stages in trying to find places to continue to improve. What I've found between the SS 1st place finisher and me, was that I lost all my points to the SS 1st place finisher almost all to points down, so mainly accuracy.

Looking closer I realized that the gap was created mainly in stages where there was 25 yard shots and also swinger targets.

I've found that I have on and off days with swingers, but it occurred to me that I've never really practice for them. Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to engage swinging targets easily, or drills that I can make the most of my time on?

Thanks in advance.

My wife has trouble with swingers and she keeps following the target still after saying that you pull the trigger just before the dwell time at the end of the swing. I found the You Tube vid and will show her.

I bought a cheap swinger from Nevco for my own personal practice. I even used it in dry fire in the garage. It was considerably less than the mgm swinger but not nearly as sturdy. Sufficient for personal use but not club level, iirc it was around $200.

Short of that, to start, I would:

• ask the range where you shoot if you can stay after the match and shoot the swinger for practice. then put it away when you're done.
  • use a target stand in the garage and staple some cardboard to it to make a barricade. hang something from the ceiling by a string and let it swing out, back and forth, from behind the barricade.
  • practice both tracking and ambush method.
  • scan in a idpa target, put it in powerpoint with movement, plug your laptop into your tv and dry fire (dry!) the mover on your tv.
  • search youtube for the dryfire powerpoint movies like i said you could make yourself, some of them have swingers in them.
  • make a cheap pvc swinger and use it for dry fire in the garage.