Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite shoe for shooting

Eric1231

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Sportiva Mutant for hot weather and their Crossover 2.0 GTX for cold/muddy conditions.

I have a narrow heel and these are the best fit and all-day comfort shoe I've found.

They run about 1 size small. I have Merrell's in 11.5 and buy those in 12 to 12.5

To be cool you need salomons. But you need skinny narrow feet. To have traction any good quality trail running shoe will be more than adequate.

I still think a cleat for one sport or another is the best traction out there.

Is this a real thread?

Having the right gear is critical. Footwear is serious business when running on wet grass with a loaded gun. Ironically salomons are not good on wet grass.

To be cool you need salomons. But you need skinny narrow feet. To have traction any good quality trail running shoe will be more than adequate.

I still think a cleat for one sport or another is the best traction out there.

I disagree. At one time tho I agreed with that statement. I have wide feet and the salmons broke in and fit me very very well. When i started this I wore Merrell moabs which are trail shoes. When I finally succumb to the saloman bug and got a pair I couldn't believe the traction. That being said the salomans go on right before the match and come off right after. They are comfortable but I prefer my merrells for everyday wear. As far as cleats go I hope your range doesn't use pvc pipe for fault lines. Cleats and pvc are like ice skates. If thats not an issue for you great but if you are likely to encounter pvc I really recommend against using true cleats.

There are different kinds of cleats. At least with UA, baseball cleats are somewhat flexible. Football/soccer cleats are hard & stiff and are not forgiving.

I have found that they last twice as long as sc3 and are a 1/3 of the price.

Not knocking sc3 as I really liked them but they just don't last.

Edited by echotango

Is this a real thread?

Having the right gear is critical. Footwear is serious business when running on wet grass with a loaded gun. Ironically salomons are not good on wet grass.

very true, discovered how slippery the Salomons were training in the back yard tonight, going from box to box. However, perhaps a non-issue, as I don't recall the last bay I shot in that was not gravel at a match.

Is this a real thread?

Terrain is what you shoot on. I go to matches with 100% concrete, 100% gravel, 100% grass, sand/gravel/grass mix, and clay/grass/gravel mix. And major matches can offer individual terrain that differs from your normal club.

Is this a real thread?

After 2 slides in the mud with a loaded gun in hand you realize how important footwear is if you move quick. Im a big guy but I can get trucking so i need something to grab so I can stop! I place good footwar an equal part like a quality competition belt!

Even on fault lines? I've tried a couple various cleats, don't remember exactly what (they might have been a Nike baseball cleat and a football cleat). Point is, none of the cleats I've ever tried were worth a damn when placed on any fault line; wood/PVC etc. It's even worse in the morning when there is dew on the fault line. That's been the major thing that's kept me in salomon or some type of rubber soled shoe. I wish I could make cleats work; they tend to be cheaper and have even better grip on dirt/grass/gravel

Even on fault lines? I've tried a couple various cleats, don't remember exactly what (they might have been a Nike baseball cleat and a football cleat). Point is, none of the cleats I've ever tried were worth a damn when placed on any fault line; wood/PVC etc. It's even worse in the morning when there is dew on the fault line. That's been the major thing that's kept me in salomon or some type of rubber soled shoe. I wish I could make cleats work; they tend to be cheaper and have even better grip on dirt/grass/gravel

Standing on fault lines in most cases is a choice. Running on dirt/grass/gravel to shoot a COF is generally required and should be the basis for shoe selection