Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you keep quiet for two minutes?

Flexmoney

A couple of years back I was running a large batch of ammo that had some problems like squibs, light loads etc. I started carrying a squib rod in my back pocket since I was only using it at local matches. I was pretty good at taking the rod and jamming it into the ground and then putting the barrel over the rod and clearing the squib. Then I'd re-holster the squib rod, reload the gun and continue the stage. You can clear a hot gun without DQing yourself.

A couple of years back I was running a large batch of ammo that had some problems like squibs, light loads etc. I started carrying a squib rod in my back pocket since I was only using it at local matches. I was pretty good at taking the rod and jamming it into the ground and then putting the barrel over the rod and clearing the squib. Then I'd re-holster the squib rod, reload the gun and continue the stage. You can clear a hot gun without DQing yourself.

call me a pansy, but I would have run that ammo in practice. If you had 2 squibs in the same match that I was RO-ing, I would probably require you to remove that ammo from the match, regardless of your squib rod.

call me a pansy, but I would have run that ammo in practice. If you had 2 squibs in the same match that I was RO-ing, I would probably require you to remove that ammo from the match, regardless of your squib rod.

Well, he's not actually being a pansy, and I'd do the same thing.

• 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, Fireant said:

Since local matches are my practice, I kind of was doing that.  What rule would you use?  It's not unsafe ammo and it made power factor.  

Repeat squibs are definitely unsafe ammo.  All it takes is missing one...

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 3:16 PM, mreed911 said:

Repeat squibs are definitely unsafe ammo.  All it takes is missing one...

Absolutely!!!  I don't want to be standing next to you if you miss a squib.  Learn how to reload properly.

Older thread and poof new life.

Rant On.

Just a theme I really have a peave with.  "it's a local match".  I know it's comfy to be local and with your buds.  But frankly we have become way too soft on this "local thing".  Mr. 9mm does not care when it exits the barrel if it is North Dakota or Mexico.  It's Mr. 9mm and will do the same good or bad things regardless if level 1 or level III.  It would be nice to have a simple list of Level 1 exceptions that are in the rule book.  I think it's a pretty short list and focused to small match managment issues.  Can you find anywhere were between Make Ready and ...Clear.  The rules are different?

I think if you have worked and shot this game for a while, you (me included) have been guilty of riding the Local match train.  We should work to eliminate this trap.

For squibs, Mr. Jones showed the use of the flexible wire zip years ago. Works like a champ to detect a squib without ever being near the front of the muzzle.  

For squibs in general.  If I had a lot of ammo that was even faintly questionable I would never take it too a match or anywhere near another human.  I think I would be really pissed if I ROed a shooter and he told me afterwards his ammo was questionable.   Pull it, Dump it or shoot it in your own vacuum.  Remember it is very possible that with a squib the powder that did not go into round A doubled up into round B.

Rant Off.

Have Fun, Be safe.

8 hours ago, rhett45acp said:

For squibs in general.  If I had a lot of ammo that was even faintly questionable I would never take it too a match or anywhere near another human.  I think I would be really pissed if I ROed a shooter and he told me afterwards his ammo was questionable.   Pull it, Dump it or shoot it in your own vacuum.  Remember it is very possible that with a squib the powder that did not go into round A doubled up into round B.

Rant Off.

Have Fun, Be safe.

I agree with this. No one should take ammo that they know is questionable to any match. The shooter is not the 'only one' on the line. A shooter has no right to subject the RO, or others nearby, to their faulty loading procedures. "Have Fun" is the initial objective. But,  "Be Safe" is the mandatory goal!

Edited by GOF