Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug problems

bmiller

I have a Vepr 12 that up until a few weeks ago has been almost surgical accurate with slugs. A few days ago, I was getting ready for a match, and I was having trouble hitting a uspsa target at 50, normally hitting a baseball at that range would be doable. Pulled the bcg, there was crud starting about an inch in front of the chamber. Looked to be powder/wad build up. On further inspection there is a significant amount of leading in it as well. Cleaned it out, there might have been a small amount of leading there, but I was pressed for time and had to leave for the match. There was a little leading on my gas puck which I have never seen there before. Got to the match, shot a few stages before I got to the slugs, the gun is running fine and is patterning fine with shot. Get to the slug targets, I might as well been throwing rocks! Got 1 hit, totally a random event. Gun ran fine, shot still hitting behind the dot and patterns are normal. I got home late last night, didn't pull the bcg, I'll bet the barrel is loaded up again. Should I take a copper choir boy and try to clean it down to the chrome lining? What is the best method to clean this crap out? My slugs always shot poa/poi with the shot for the most part. Now they are really high and to the left. There are no baffle strikes on my large homemade comp. I am perplexed to say the least!

Also, I have used two different types of slugs in it, before the problems arose, it shot them equally well. After, equally horrible.

Edited by bmiller

Brian,

Some people like to use fine bronze wool. Find it at your local hardware store and wrap some around an old bore brush and dry brush the area in the bore with the leading. It cuts the lead quickly and does not harm the bore.

Jeff

Thanks, I actually attacked the leading with a copper scouring pad wrapped around a bore brush. Worked well. A friend gave me 3 rounds loaded with the Lyman slug that looks like a big air gun pellet. They are loaded in a regular wad. Shot very accurately. Now I know what my next project is!