Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

Revofan

How about a load for 145 coated with n320

3.5 ???

I have never loaded for 145 grain bullets but according to VV load data for 147 grain you could start at 3.1 and go to 3.9. I would also start with seating the bullet at 1.150 and then experiment staying within the 3.1 to 3.9 and also different seating depths. I would not go lower on the seating depth that the load data on VV shows for the 9mm on 147 grain. Also as you experiment look for signs of over pressure and sticky extraction. The 38 short colt as I have found closely resemble 9mm and I have found 9mm loads to work well.

I have been shooting the X-treme plated for a while now and I really like the performance I have gotten out of them, however, the RNFP 158s have a little issue where they occasionally have hit the extractor start perfectly and skip a little and get sideways. I am going to try some of the 160gr RN coated bullets for 38spl and see if that fixes the issue with skipping that I have had. I have tried them in 38SC and have worked pretty well. I need to get more clips to run the 38SC because the ones I have don't hold them tight enough.

SNS Casting and Missouri Bullets both make coated 158 gr round nose with cannulure sized to .358. I've used these over N-310 for IDPA in my GP-100. They go into the cylinder easily using a moderate roll crimp.