Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

Revofan

I can't really see a big $$$$ savings over the plated ones, but yes you could save a bit over full metal jacketed unless you buy by the case..... Then, not much difference in cost. . The good thing, you can get all the way to 170 grn. coated Billy bullets or 160 grn. coated from other suppliers IF you want a heavy bullet?....At the normal range ICORE/Steel match's I shoot, there is no big accuracy advantage that I can tell. I've tried just about all the different weights, different powders and the is NO magic ammo out there. In the end, do you want a light, fast load or a heavy bullet with less "felt" recoil????... I can miss that "black ICORE circle" with either or any combo.

Who makes a true roundnose 38 caliber coated bullet? I love the 230 grain 45 slugs in my 625, but I'm still shooting oldschool lead in my 38. I roll crimp the 38s and I've not been able to find a coated bullet with a cannelure without a flat point. All the heavy coated bullets I see are really 38 super bullets.

Who makes a true roundnose 38 caliber coated bullet? I love the 230 grain 45 slugs in my 625, but I'm still shooting oldschool lead in my 38. I roll crimp the 38s and I've not been able to find a coated bullet with a cannelure without a flat point. All the heavy coated bullets I see are really 38 super bullets.

I'm very satisfied with the Bayou Bullet 160 grain loading in .38 Short Colt brass They are a round nose with NO cannelure, and I roll crimp, (pretty heavily) but accuracy is still very good, lack of canelure does not seem to be an issue. The RN are good for fast reloads, and they run very clean.

I use s&s castings 160grn coated. It doesn't have a cannelure but works good for me. I don't use a roll crimp but a fairly heavy taper crimp. I really like the profile on this bullet. I haven't done any extensive acuracy testing but they seem to do well enough for me from my mostly stock 627. Hope this helps

Edited by 314shane

Coated bullets or fully jacketed are the way to go. Plated will flake and give you weird accuracy.

I won't speak for them but I'm pretty sure 80% of the top 10 at relover nationals where all shooting coated bullets.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have been real happy with the Ibejihead coated bullets. They have a wide selection of the profiles that we like as revo shooters, the pointy round nose ones that load good. The accuracy has been great plus no crud in the barrel or smoke. There is really no need to brush out the cylinders other than it's just good practice to do it every once in a while. You can get most of his 9mm/.38 bullets in .356, .357 and .358. When I started using them they didn't show a .358 in the 115, 145 and 160 grain bullets so I sent the owner (Alex) a message and asked if was possible to get them in my desired size and he said sure no problem and added the sizes to the drop down menu the next day and had them to me in a week. They do what they say they are going to do when they said they would do it and their product is great with good pricing. If they don't show what you are looking for just send a note and ask if it's possible. You can also get the bullets in different colors so you can have your different weight bullets in different colors to help keep them separated.

https://www.ibejiheads.com

Coated bullets or fully jacketed are the way to go. Plated will flake and give you weird accuracy.

I won't speak for them but I'm pretty sure 80% of the top 10 at relover nationals where all shooting coated bullets.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm currently shooting up an old order of plated bullets and it really seems like the plate is coming off at the end of the barrel, there's a type of fouling I've never seen before with other projectiles. Coated on the other hand has been working really well for me. I've run them at 1,400 fps out of a 480 Ruger down to 600 fps in 45 ACP with good results.

"Plated will flake and give weird accuracy."

Interesting. I've been shooting Xtreme Bullets' .45, 44, and .38 bullets for nearly 15 years and never had that complaint. They may not provide Bullseye type accuracy, but they've performed very well for me in USPSA, ICORE, and area steel plate and bowling pin matches.

I had good accuracy with Rainiers and shot them for years until one shattered in the barrel of my 625 at Summer Blast and nearly cost me a stage. That made me switch to jacketed, but looking back it was probably overcrimped.

Cliff shoots plated bullets and does quite well with them.

I have been shooting 165 extreme plated bullets in my 929 and am very happy with them. I would not take them to a 50 yard bullseye match, but they will hold about 2 - 2.5 inches at 25 yards.

When I run out of them (15K on the shelf) I might switch to coated 147s for ICORE and USPSA and 115s for steel.

• 3 weeks later...

Any one using n320 with 160gr coated in short colt ?

If so what's your powder charge ? Looking for 125-130 PF

Somewhere between 2.7 and 3.0, loading to 1.160, will get you to minor. I'd start at 2.8.

The only load I've chrono'd more than 5 or so of was 2.7 GR which averaged 120 PF over about 20 rounds

I'm not sure I follow this?

Are you asking about bullets that are .358? Bayou will size any bullet they make to 358, all you need to do is ask when you order, same for ibeji.

Unless I am missing something anyways...you can get 95, 124, 135 and 160 rn and they all have the groove and a round nose and bayou, ibeji and no doubt sns and anyone else using those molds, will size 356,357 or 358 on request...

Edited by seanc