Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canting pistol for speed?

FWSixgunner

Ok, call be a gross ignoramus if this is common knowledge.

I just saw a reference to canting for the one-handed staged in IDPA classifiers. Unfortunately, the article didn't mention why. So I'm going to assume the technique used recoil to speed transition to the next target..

If this is correct, about how many degrees is optimal?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about transitions or speed. Some shooters report being more comfortable canting the gun when shooting one handed, or that it's a more natural default position. I personally try to keep the gun plumb as I think I can track the sights better. Eye dominance plays a role too. Try it for yourself, but I see no real benefit.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It's called the half homie.

Seriously though, point at a spot on the wall. How is your hand canted? It's the most natural position.

Edited by SCTaylor

It's called the half homie.

Seriously though, point at a spot on the wall. How is your hand canted? It's the most natural position.

Ah, that makes sense.

Rifle silhouette shooters have long been putting angled pistol grips on their stocks for the same reason.

this may or may not help.

the sights are usually set to have the barrel directly under 'plumb.'

The bullet arc is gravity powered so it is 'plumb' also.

I love the "half homie" line

so if you go full homie you are shooting sideways.

I have little doubt how far to the target will make a lot difference in this.

miranda

I love the "half homie" line

so if you go full homie you are shooting sideways.

I have little doubt how far to the target will make a lot difference in this.

miranda

I tried full homie once for giggles, 10" plates at 50yds where no problem. If gravity wasn't a factor my bullets would've just impacted slightly left (I'm a lefty) of my sights, just as they would impact only slightly lower with the gun held properly.

well ...

my guess would have been since you would shoot left-handed...

the impact would have been right a few inches from your sighted aim... as well as low...

cool.... My pistol shot left a few inches at 25 yards...I am right handed.

it was what I expected...

miranda

The barrel is still under the sights. If you have significant offset (like on an open gun) you will have to hold over/under as normal as well as right or left. For irons, that's not really an issue.

There's no meaningful bullet drop at these ranges but the bullet will still arc in a predictable fashion, that's not related to how you hold the gun.

I cant my hand related to the 'pointed finger' example, I find it to be most comfortable.

my post disappeared....

my last defense.

you may want to re-read the last line in the post quoted

gravity is the definition of plumb

for the short time we fly our bullets, there is little arc, agreed.

it is there, however.

if the "hit target" is 10 inches at 50 yards, I'd think one can aim for center

and make the hit, full homie or not

if the "hit target" is 1 inch at 50 yards, I'd think plumb may become your friend.

That is the point. properly done, sights are set with the arc of gravity included.

in any case, given what pistols and target we use, canting your pistol some for comfort

is unlikely to cause any problems.

miranda

It is simply to maximize probability of hitting the A zone.

When doing shots quickly or under stress right handed there is tendency to push left and down, thats the 7-8 o'clock zone.

Aim point is at the shoulders, so if you cant then error zone moves to 6, thats better for scoring.

Edited by wimms

It is simply to maximize probability of hitting the A zone.

When doing shots quickly or under stress right handed there is tendency to push left and down, thats the 7-8 o'clock zone.

Aim point is at the shoulders, so if you cant then error zone moves to 6, thats better for scoring.

This makes no sense. The "clock" moves with and is relative to the degree of cant of the gun. So if you have a low left bias it would follow that canting the gun left would exacerbate the problem.

When you rotate that elbow a bit and do the slight cant and tense your muscles a bit you create a much more controlled lock. Couple that with putting more weight on your shooting hands foot and pulling the arm you are not using tight to your chest like you are shooting a bow and you have a lot of muscles and joints working in conjunction to control your one handed recoil. Nothing about this shooting stance feels more natural so I'd argue against just being more comfortable. Rarely is a good shooting technique the most comfortable method. :)

Not sure about the mechanics... but I seem to get better hits when I allow the hand to be a little canted while shooting one-handed. 20 or 30 degrees maybe?

When I just extend my arm, I feel some tensions in the forearm/wrist area, if I make the hand vertical.

Moving from target to target it feels more natural to go towards the thumb side. Maybe because there is less blocking my vision, maybe it is body mechanics, maybe both.

I only shoot the revolver competitively so maybe it's a revolver thing, with the longer trigger pull, but with my limited revolver I was a canter. It wasn't sp much about speed. It was more about accuracy, which in ICORE scoring could hurt/help your score even more than other disciplines. I could just hold the sights more steadily and roll off more consistently accurate hits with the gun tilted about the amount SCTaylor noted when you point at a wall.

BUT, then I started shooting open revolver. Now it may just be me and I need to practice more (I know I do.) but I occasionally had difficulty finding the dot when canted on SHO and WHO so I'm back to the plumb crowd. Plus, as a side note, with my big aim point red dot being notably higher from the barrel than my limited sights were, I think I'm more open to having my point of aim affected when I'm moving the barrel out from under the dot to one side or the other.

Nonsense! In my hypothetical world without gravity my pistol is sighted in to hit .625 inches below the top of my sight from zero to infinity yards!

I thought there was a slight ramp up angle to the barrel so the bullet at muzzle is lower than the sights, dead on (or above) further out, then below as the bullet drops.

I've never been a fan of the "half homie", but a local weekly league has been hitting us with a lot of WHO draws. Turns out this is my kryptonite.

I shoot open and finding the dot has been somewhat hit or miss.

I'm doing a lot of dryfiring to enable me to locate the dot in under 3 to 5 seconds.

In my case, the half homie seems to help. I will keep practicing and see if it helps my match scores.

When you rotate that elbow a bit and do the slight cant and tense your muscles a bit you create a much more controlled lock. Couple that with putting more weight on your shooting hands foot and pulling the arm you are not using tight to your chest like you are shooting a bow and you have a lot of muscles and joints working in conjunction to control your one handed recoil. Nothing about this shooting stance feels more natural so I'd argue against just being more comfortable. Rarely is a good shooting technique the most comfortable method. :)

More than one local PD teaches canting when shooting one handed. Claim is recoil control.

My personal experience is it doesn't make much difference in control, but I am more accurate closer to plumb with less effort. But I've never claimed any great skill, I just use what works for me, YMMV.

• 1 month later...