Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading the 320

TFin04

Anybody else have some difficulty with the factory 320 magwell and mags hanging up? The geometry of the well provides a lot of potential catch points.

I notice it more in dry fire (I use snap caps), but have totally screwed more than my usual live fire reloads.

Has anyone done anything other than just practice to improve this? So far this is the only complaint I have about the 320.

Thanks.

I don't know what to call the hump in the rear but that is problem number one of you haven't changed how you reload yet. It's a pretty sharp and unforgiving wall until you angle your muzzle slightly further down. Changing the angle and then aiming for the rear of the magwell versus the front makes a huge difference. There is also a little hump just inside the front of the magwell that also seems to hang me up sometimes. When possible I like to remove that. There a few more things you can do depending on which division you shoot and how you interpret those rules.

• 6 months later...

Necro post warning...

I just picked up a 320 and have the same questions. Anyone "open" the magwell to allowed limits for production or just radius the edges and eased the hard points? It's a change coming off a Tanfo that has a generous magwell funnel. Pictures would be great.

Ethan - This is the rule:

Article D4 - 22.4 - Magwell Opening -  The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding dimension of a magazine. External flaring remains PROHIBITED.

So it appears as long as the profile of the grip (22.2 - Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds functions such as beavertail or thumb rest) that it would be legal. The grip modules are cheap enough to replace, however, I don't want to get dinged at a major.

Edited by SCTaylor

I would interpret that to mean the pictures you posted would be a legal modification.  Just the same, you could probably send an email to Troy McManus with those same pictures to get his thoughts on the subject. 

My wife is looking into a P320 Romeo for carry optics, so I will probably be looking to do a similar mod in the near future!

Just keep in mind that if you make the sides that thin then they break down quickly if you hit the sides a break it down easily. I like to leave them a bit thicker where possible. 

57 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Ethan - Funny you should say that, cause I did exactly that after  my post yesterday. Troy said as long as it is all internal, not modifying the profile then it is indeed legal.

Nice!  Thanks for the follow up.

56 minutes ago, alma said:

Just keep in mind that if you make the sides that thin then they break down quickly if you hit the sides a break it down easily. I like to leave them a bit thicker where possible. 

That's a good thought.  I do tend to miss quite often....

• 2 months later...

Ok, follow along....

Rules say internal mods are defined as not visible when gun is in battery.

Definition of In Battery by every military description I know is gun loaded, breach closed, ready to fire.

To extrapolate that further on a pistol, that would be bullet loaded, slide down, and ....  to even get to that loaded point..... you would have to have a mag inserted.

So with mag inserted can you see all that magwell dremeling? If not, its an internal modification.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:03 PM, Jerome said:

It seems like the mag well base is External....

Until you file it and make it Internal.

p320-mag-well.jpg

p320-mag-well-trim.jpg

From NROI - my note included these images I posted above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is no prohibition in the rules against internal beveling and smoothing, only against external flaring of the mag well.
The changes you note are not considered to be external flaring."

Troy

---------------------------------------------------

My concern with that particular grip is that it's likely not production legal, depending on which base pads are on the gun. If you're using a standard profile pad, you could definitely see the rear bevel with a mag inserted. With something like the Obsidian, you likely would not.

It's still an excellent job.