Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racemaster insert fit with new revolvers.

PatJones

A customer has brought me two of the magnetic inserts for Double Alpha Racemaster. One is for an N Frame, the other is for an L frame, neither one fits his 929 or his 986. On both guns the sliding block appears to bind on the radius of the trigger guard. Have any of you run into the same problems?

My 627 & 610 don't have problems, but my 327TRR8 has minor interference. It still works but I have to make sure it will lock before I move, it's the only way I can tell that it's seated.

The customer didn't bring his guns in, they're In California. I have a TRR8 in the shop that doesn't fit and the 986 we have doesn't fit. I'll drop an email to double alpha, but I imagine I'll just need to fit the Holsters to the guns I have

I had a race master block for a 1911 that I had to fit to my gun. They're not always perfect. Saul Kirsch actually has a video on fitting the holsters. They claim it's mostly an issue with glocks but I have seen it with other guns. I would be Leary to fit it to anything other than the gun it will be used with as the tolerances are very tight. Take too much and the gun will wiggle al over the place.

My only fitment issue with my L and N frame blocks has been that the overall width of my recently purchased TRR8 was a little wide. My 625, 627 Pro and VCOMP fit perfectly, though. A little light sanding on the side support rails in the holster body did the trick. I didn't have to do anything with the locking block, though.

Edited by afoulk

The customer didn't bring his guns in, they're In California. I have a TRR8 in the shop that doesn't fit and the 986 we have doesn't fit. I'll drop an email to double alpha, but I imagine I'll just need to fit the Holsters to the guns I have

I've got a 929 and was thinking about a Racemaster. Looking forward to hearing how it works out.

Thanks

Kevin

It is better to fit the racemaster insert to your gun anyway. You are modifying a cheap, soft part and get an ideal fit. It is a better option than if they made it loose enough to fit any possible gun on that frame meaning most of them would wobble all the time.

I've had minor issues with my older 625 non magnetic insert using my newer 929 revo .... It appears that what was happening was that the trigger guard of the revolver was too wide for the locking block entrance? or the locking block entrance slot , thus moving the locking block downward before the 929 trigger guard could engage in the locking block, (moved the locking block downward before it's time).. Mine finally wore in BUT not after some issues as described. VERY minor sanding should be the fix?. I've found that the "tension" screw has to be set just right or it's still no workee, even now. ( I would have to take a finger and move the locking block up to it's starting position and re-holster., not the safest thing to do in the eyes of the RO)... I have no wobble. In all fairness, AA Saul offered to switch to a new magnetic unit BUT I didn't want to ship overseas. I use the same holster with the Glock insert and have had NO issues whatsoever. Mike

I've had this same problem with my 929 and magnetic insert. I had to disassemble the insert, and start trimming it with the Dremel. It was binding on a couple areas, but now is smooth as can be. Not something I thought I would have to do with a $200 holster, but it works in the long run.

This might surprise you, but there's going to be variation in the sizes of the trigger guards of otherwise 'identical' firearms, sometimes considerable variation. So they have to make the holster inserts fit tight on the smallest possible size so that the dude with the dimensionally smaller gun doesn't have his flop around in the holster. But, that means that if your gun is on the larger size, you have to fit the insert by filing away at the engagement lug. This is more an issue with plastic guns - when I bought a Glock insert, my G19 fit right out of the box, but my G35 wouldn't even press into the insert, I had to fit it - but metal guns will still have fitment issues.

As Nick posted above, Saul says that very thing on one of his videos about fitting the insert, "All guns trigger guards are not the same from the same manufacturer. They require some fitting" and he tells and shows how. I had to make an adjustment to the new magnetic insert I put in for N frames(627PC). The locking tab was a little too tight for me. It's not now. I love the holster. It's very comfortable and adjustable.

My 627 & 610 don't have problems, but my 327TRR8 has minor interference. It still works but I have to make sure it will lock before I move, it's the only way I can tell that it's seated.

936e7452efe0373394fe0295a8f21958.jpg