Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Often Do You Shoot Revolver?

Alaskan454

Last month I shot a bottom feeder in a match and I'm pretty sure that was the first time in two or three years. They're fun to shoot but I usually gravitate towards revolvers of some kind when it's on the clock. It got me wondering, how many of you guys shoot exclusively wheel guns?

Edited by Alaskan454

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never but one of these days I'm gonna practice a bit then shoot it at a classifier match so I can have it on my card. They are fun but I just never shoot them competitively.

Currently all I shoot is revolver, mainly because all I have time for is ICORE. However, I would probably still be more likely to shoot revolver in either USPSA or IDPA just because I like shooting them more than my semi-autos.

I shot nothing but my 8-shot revolver in ICORE and various USPSA divisions for my first 3 years doing this stuff. About the time that the 8-shot became legal in Revo I decided I wanted to shoot nationals. I spent most of last year shooting single stack so I could earn a slot and shoot both matches back to back.

I have our ICORE regional tomorrow, and our USPSA sectional a week from tomorrow, I'm shooting the 8-shoot in both. After the sectional, I'm going to move to production division full time. I would rather just shoot the Revo, but there's only 3 guys in the state that give me trouble with a revolver and they're not consistently shooting the same matches that I am.

Traveling to larger matches to look for competition isn't a great option in revolver. Outside of nationals, there's often not enough shooters to recognize the division. As much as I prefer the revolver, the truth is I practice more when I don't win my division at the monthly club match.

The stand alone nationals is a neat idea, but this year's match at Pasa Park was a disappointment. This, as much as anything is driving me to another division. There's functionally one USPSA match a year with good competition in revolver division. I'd like to see that match given to a group of people that actually shoot revolver and have paid attention to some of the changes the sport has gone thru since 1992.

Edited by PatJones

I was shooting revolver pretty much exclusively for a couple of years. Got my 5" 625 all set up and they went and changed the rules. Now I shoot Single Stack since it's the next best division. I have a very nice custom Limited gun that sets in the safe most of the time because I find reloading just once per stage kinda boring. If my work gets stable enough I may pick up an 8 shot round gun and go back to it.

I don't compete much - and I go through periods of using one gun or another. Recently, I've been using my Glock, to ensure easily making the required hit factor in the "safe shooter test" for the Finnish reservists' version of Practical Shooting. Now that is done and the plan is to go for the revolver next.

More or less I only shot revolvers for 5 years. I got into pistol games in 2010 and was shooting an M&P in idpa and ICORE with a loaned 627. In 2011 went basically all revolver, and more often then not except for area and sectional matches I was shooting my icore open revolver in uspsa as well.

This year I am shooting an open 2011 in USPSA and enjoying it alot.

I have shot all S&W revolver since 1979 in many matches over the years, often competing heads up with semi auto, single shot and bolt action pistols. Most of my shooting has been Bullseye, PPC, IHMSA, and NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup). I have shot an occasional IDPA and USPSA match during that time. Steel Challenge has recently become local and one monthly ICORE match 2 hours away, haven't made it to either one of those yet.

For lack of time I am currently only shooting NRA AP.

Traitor !

Yeah, its good still though. It's been a learning experience. At the end of the day I realize I really like shooting red dots better than iron sights regardless of the gun underneath.

I may come back to uspsa rev, we'll see as time goes on. Its only been this season which so far has only been 1 match and a couple outlaw indoor uspsa matches with the 2011.

Traitor !

Yeah, its good still though. It's been a learning experience. At the end of the day I realize I really like shooting red dots better than iron sights regardless of the gun underneath.

I may come back to uspsa rev, we'll see as time goes on. Its only been this season which so far has only been 1 match and a couple outlaw indoor uspsa matches with the 2011.

Maybe you'll take something from it and get more gooder at revolver.

All I shoot is Revolver and I do it because it is FUN. I like the challenge.

I have shot several Majors where Revolver wasn't recognized as there wasn't enough to make a division. I still shot the Revolver because I wanted to. Talked to a couple of other Revolver shooters at these matches who said they thought about it but since there weren't enough for a division they signed up for a different division. I don't get this logic at all :(

The I didn't sign up for Revolver(or whatever division) because no one else did makes no sense as there may be several others out there just waiting to see if anyone else is going to sign up for Revolver.

As for local matches who cares if there are any other Revolver shooters there? I know pretty much where I fall in with the autos and can compare my results with them and by checking my percentages. This is why the overall scores are so important to me even though USPSA doesn't recognize them.

At almost every match I answer a lot of questions about Revolvers and the equipment needed to shoot them. Some of the shooters actually follow thru and get a revolver and start shooting it. If no one is shooting Revolver at the matches how will others get interested in shooting Revolver?

I know Revolver will never be a popular division but how can it grow when some of the people that shoot it don't even support it :rolleyes:

Did I mention I shoot Revolver because it is fun and challenging.

You guys made some good points, I really enjoy shooting a 6 shot gun as it forces you to make fewer mistakes and carefully plan your stages. The only thing is, I always wonder how much faster I can shoot with an auto, so I decided to shoot my ESP gun today at IDPA. I probably won't do it often but curiosity got the best of me. I'm very anxious to see how I did.

Not often enough but I'm all over the place with guns. I want to compete in different divisions/classes/ disciplines . Thus probably why I stink at them all[emoji51][emoji3]

This is my excuse too. I'm transgunder. I can't help it - I was born this way. And the local steel matches where you can shoot Open, Stock, and Revolver in a single match don't help. My pronoun is gun.

Not often enough but I'm all over the place with guns. I want to compete in different divisions/classes/ disciplines . Thus probably why I stink at them all[emoji51][emoji3]

This is my excuse too. I'm transgunder. I can't help it - I was born this way. And the local steel matches where you can shoot Open, Stock, and Revolver in a single match don't help. My pronoun is gun.

Thank you for explaining it to me. I've had these feelings my entire life and didn't know what to do with them. I now can freely express my love or semi or revolver without judgement . I even dabble with rifle too. I'm gonna say it IM TRANSGUNDER AND PROUD! wow I feel like a new shooter[emoji1]

You guys made some good points, I really enjoy shooting a 6 shot gun as it forces you to make fewer mistakes and carefully plan your stages. The only thing is, I always wonder how much faster I can shoot with an auto, so I decided to shoot my ESP gun today at IDPA. I probably won't do it often but curiosity got the best of me. I'm very anxious to see how I did.

My very limited experience so far is that for me, the only relevant speed difference is in the reloads, at least initially...

Yes, I can definitely unload on something close, like 5 yards or less, considerably faster with my 2011 and its 2 lbs trigger that moves a tiny fraction of an inch, but if I actually need to aim, I really can just barely shoot it any faster, like 12-15 yards or beyond, I can't transition it any faster, and just shooting splits or plates or whatever, my splits and transitions are the same or like .001 faster with the auto.

I have very little time invested in it so far but some introspection relative to shooting a gun that theoretically should be "faster".

For a long time I practiced far and near alot, obsessively. I think that really burned a trigger pull speed into me(which is like a .32+ or so hunting for X's) and that really follows me into everything else. To a large extent I also now am starting to believe it also heavily influenced my revolver reload speed, which when I do a F&N, is a very comfortable highly controlled "can't miss this" process vs really trying to drive that reload into a low or 2 second flat time is more like a 3 second process.

These things have served me pretty well on F&N(2015 not withstanding..) but they fail me everywhere else. If I look over my whole history, once I devoted myself to F&N I immediately raised everything up from where I was, but have completely flatlined at pretty much 75% in every major I have shot since 2012.

That's what I think anyways. I have half halfheartedly told myself in the past that I need to just shoot a couple classifiers as a major component of practice because to do well you need to be running 20 splits/transitions and your reload needs to be smoking. Consequently my 2016 practice will consist largely of classifiers(icore) that I have watched the top dogs shoot in person and know the numbers for that are a mix of very close high speed shooting/gun handling and a middle distance 6 reload 6.

So Alec isn't wrong, maybe something comes out of this that gets me moving ahead on revolver vs stagnating.

Edited by seanc

Haven't shot anything but my 627 in 2016. Actually thinking about selling some of my other competition guns. USPSA, ICORE, Steel challenge. Haven't had tons of time and ICORE is new at my club and I have decided to support it. I agree with Bosshoss we need people to shoot/support revolver division and ICORE. Yesterday I was disappointed to find out one of the people who helps organize ICORE at my club was going to shoot USPSA at another club.