• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Transgunder

Is there a special bathroom for that?

We use the standard porta-potty but with the benefit that no one stands outside waiting for the tell-tale sound of Velcro separating in an attempt to DQ us.

Not a special bathroom, but a special "Barroom". Think it's filled with cigar smoke and very dark, might not even use a bathroom just the wall outside?

I keep looking and handling my revo's, even setting up Revo's for Concealed Carry works pretty good with my M29 great with a J frame, but "hang my head, wring my hands" I've been shooting tupperware this year just so I can get competition there's just no Revo's at my local clubs. Picked Tupperware cause the trigger is as close as I can get to my Revo, keeps me from jonesing out completely.

Edited by pskys2

I get to shoot My 38 super revo once a month as there are a few revos come out for that. Sometimes I shoot my Open gun. 38 super Revo with a dot. And once in a great while I have a 38 Super Semi Caspian. It will fire 9mm, 9X21, 38 super and I have not tried the supercomp in it but believe the smaller rime would be a bit of a prob. That Caspian just runs..

I think I am transgunder in spirit, maybe its something in the water around here... :surprise: I want to get gooder with all of my guns but I know I'll probably have to stick with one gun for a bit to actually do that. I'm planning on sticking with revolver this year and actually earn a class then try to improve from wherever I land in the classification. I'm all over the place, buying selling trading I never stick with what I have and just shoot it. Its like a hobby in itself trading up guns trying to plot a way to get something new.

Being transgunder in spirit I dont know how long I will last only shooting or primarily shooting revolver but for now Revolver will have most of my attention.

I get to shoot My 38 super revo once a month as there are a few revos come out for that. Sometimes I shoot my Open gun. 38 super Revo with a dot. And once in a great while I have a 38 Super Semi Caspian. It will fire 9mm, 9X21, 38 super and I have not tried the supercomp in it but believe the smaller rime would be a bit of a prob. That Caspian just runs..

Edited by underlug

I like shooting other divisions, too--helps keep me from getting burned out.

Thanks for editing your original post Mike.

Since it was directed at me and I was at a match shooting my revolver in the 95 degree heat I didn't have time to respond before you edited it.

Saved me some typing. :lol:

It wasn't really intended to be directed at you, Bosshoss, but rather to counter a viewpoint which I know a number of people share. I self-edited because it came across as a little obnoxious, and I don't mean anything personal. I will simply say that it is important to me to have real competition, and if I can't find it in Revo Division, I will shoot a different platform.

I used to shoot revo at least half of the year. Then the eight shot guns made any six shot gun not competitive and I stopped. Still shoot three USPSA matches most months.

Does anyone have numbers on attendance at level ones for revo division? I know several who shot in the GA/SC area stopped after the rule change. Did we really pick up anyone who did not already shoot USPSA because of allowing the eight shot gun?

Paul Beck

A49023, CRO

I used to shoot revo at least half of the year. Then the eight shot guns made any six shot gun not competitive and I stopped. Still shoot three USPSA matches most months.

Does anyone have numbers on attendance at level ones for revo division? I know several who shot in the GA/SC area stopped after the rule change. Did we really pick up anyone who did not already shoot USPSA because of allowing the eight shot gun?

Paul Beck

A49023, CRO

Locally where I shoot we lost 6+ shooters when the rule change went into effect.

First year it was way down in Revolver division. It seemed when the 929 was announced there was more interest.

Had a few crossover from IDPA to shoot a 8 shot gun.

Local ICORE club is just getting back up and running so maybe that will help with some interest.

We now have a decent Revolver crowd now with average around 5 at the monthly matches I shoot and sometimes 7 or 8. Some clubs I shoot at still only have a couple show up.

Shooters do seem more interested in Revolver since the rule change but don't seem to follow thru.

I have offered my backup gun and gear to several shooters so they could try revolver out and I can't get any of them to take that first step.

I enjoyed the 6 shot before but I like the 8 shot also. I was on the fence about the rule with my big problem with it being the advantage of the 8 shot on some of the classifers. Didn't seem like all the angles were thought out before changing the rules.

That is the past and now we need to just focus on getting more shooters to shoot revolver.

IMO

Edited by Bosshoss

I started shooting USPSA with a 1911 in Limited 10 and got hooked on the sport....hadn't had this much fun since I'd jumped out of an Airplane. Then our local club had a conceal carry shoot and I brought out my 686+ with speed loaders. I took 1st and 3rd in my division and tied for 2nd. I realized I liked the discipline of revolver shooting and purchased a 627 to give me the extra shot. I'm still the only revolver shooter at our local club and one of a couple at a near by steel shoot and that doesn't bother me. I'm never going to be in Jerry's league but I'll keep a few of the local bottom feeders on their toes and have fun doing it.

I shoot revolver primarily, and even use it in the local 3gun matches that I participate in. My USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge revolver is a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 45 Colt. My 3gun revolver is a S&W 625.

I have been participating in shooting sports since 2005 and with the exception of 1 IDPA match using a Beretta 92D, I have used a revolver. I have yet to burn out, but that is because of several factors. First of all I don't shoot as many matches as I would imagine several of you do (that have felt burn out), and that is due to shooting sports being my secondary hobby. I was a collegiate varsity athlete back in the late eighties in the sport of fencing, and I primarily compete in those matches. After a decade off after college I came back to the sport in December of 1999. From 2000 through 2015 I have qualified for 15 of the 16 US Fencing Nationals, and competed in 13 of them (I did not qualify in 2008, and could not make the trip in 2014). I qualified for the US Fencing Nationals This year (qualifying my 16th time :D)and will be competing in two events (I usually qualify and compete in 2-4 events).

Sorry for drifting from the core question....

Anyway I compete in sport shooting in addition when I have the time. I have competed in local, a number of state/sectional matches, Area 6 this year, and Revolver Nationals once. The variety of activity with both fencing and shooting sports keeps me from getting burned out on either.

I am considering shooting Revolver and Single Stack at the Memphis Charity Challenge this coming October, but only because I am able to compete in both for score on different days. I currently hold to using a 6 shot revolver, and have no interest in obtaining an 8 shot revolver. That may change, but I don't think anytime soon.

It is a bit disheartening to see the small contingent of revolver shooters at most matches, but I choose to keep shooting revolver in matches no matter the number of fellow revolver shooters.

Edited by Blueridge

I've always shot my revolver at major matches and it by far is my favorite gun of choice. But, the trend I'm seeing is starting to make me want to go another direction. I shot Area 2 (18 shooters), Area 1 (3 shooters), Golden Bullet (2 shooters). I will probably not shoot Rev for the remainder of 2016 and will focus on my Carry Optic and SS guns, with the intent of shooting one of those platforms in 2017.

I believe that the issue is that with the inclusion of the 8 shot revolver, a good number of the regular 6 shot revolver shooters who did or do not wish to change to the higher capacity gun became disheartened and moved to other divisions.

I am stubborn and choose to remain with a 6 shot (loaded by speed loader) revolver, and although the numbers are not many I choose to stick with shooting revolver at the USPSA matches I compete in. The 2016 Area 6 was supposed to have 12 revolver shooters in it, and with the range of classifications only the top overall finisher received an award. I don't think one revolver shooter made the match at all, and two more did not make minor power factor (so they do not show up on the final results). I still enjoyed myself and the match was great.

Those who enjoy shooting revolver are considerably outnumbered by those who enjoy the other divisions. Formerly regular revolver shooters choosing to shoot other division in order to face more competition further reduce the numbers of revolver shooters in the results in matches across the nation.

I find it a bit insulting to the Revolver Division that the stand alone Nationals have been held on Mother's Day weekend every year it has been held, but Carry Optics gets its own Nationals weekend (the first year it exists) on no major holiday. Against my better judgment I shot the 2013 Revolver Nationals for the purpose of showing support for the stand alone match, and in order to check off that I had competed in one. I cannot bring myself to spend another Mother's Day weekend doing it again. Spending time with my mother is more important by far, and I am certain by other comments I have read and heard from other revolver shooters that they feel similarly about the Nationals being on that weekend.

Edited by Blueridge

I shoot revolver primarily, and even use it in the local 3gun matches that I participate in. My USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge revolver is a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 45 Colt. My 3gun revolver is a S&W 625.

I have been participating in shooting sports since 2005 and with the exception of 1 IDPA match using a Beretta 92D, I have used a revolver. I have yet to burn out, but that is because of several factors. First of all I don't shoot as many matches as I would imagine several of you do (that have felt burn out), and that is due to shooting sports being my secondary hobby. I was a collegiate varsity athlete back in the late eighties in the sport of fencing, and I primarily compete in those matches. After a decade off after college I came back to the sport in December of 1999. From 2000 through 2015 I have qualified for 15 of the 16 US Fencing Nationals, and competed in 13 of them (I did not qualify in 2008, and could not make the trip in 2014). I qualified for the US Fencing Nationals This year (qualifying my 16th time :D)and will be competing in two events (I usually qualify and compete in 2-4 events).

Sorry for drifting from the core question....

Anyway I compete in sport shooting in addition when I have the time. I have competed in local, a number of state/sectional matches, Area 6 this year, and Revolver Nationals once. The variety of activity with both fencing and shooting sports keeps me from getting burned out on either.

I am considering shooting Revolver and Single Stack at the Memphis Charity Challenge this coming October, but only because I am able to compete in both for score on different days. I currently hold to using a 6 shot revolver, and have no interest in obtaining an 8 shot revolver. That may change, but I don't think anytime soon.

It is a bit disheartening to see the small contingent of revolver shooters at most matches, but I choose to keep shooting revolver in matches no matter the number of fellow revolver shooters.

Touche'

Some of us recognized the patient was dying and tried to save it. Others did nothing but hinder the resuscitation effort. And now we sit and blame each other.

(In reality, it was probably already too late.)

Shot my first match wed.night with the 686ssr had one other revolver shooter a sharpshooter he only got me by 1.44sec. We also bet 4 bottom feeders. Got to practice my reloads they suck .

I have my 627 set up as an open gun for use in a local steel league, so I really couldn't use it for USPSA. I bought a 929 a few months

ago. I like the 929 so much that I am planning on using it exclusively for USPSA, ICORE limited, and sanctioned steel challange matches

where the open revolvers are in the same class as open autos.

I shoot my revolvers all the time. In USPSA I shoot both my iron sighted 8 shot in Revolver class and shoot my open ICORE revolver in open class minor at the local matches. I do not care if there are other revolver shooters as I shoot for fun. I consistently place in the top 5 overall and sometimes win the match which doesn't mean much as maybe the other competitors are not that good. As long as I am having a good time and shooting my revolvers I am having fun.

I try to make as many ICORE matches as possible cause I know that there will be a good number of revolver shooters. As far as USPSA major matches I go to the Nationals as it is only 120 miles from my home. If I have the time and money I will try to attend other USPSA matches and will shoot revolver only. If I happen to be the only one that signs up and I don't do anything stupid I get first place and last place and the satisfaction of beating some of the bottom feeders in the overall. Yeah it sucks that there is not enough revolver shooters at some matches to get recognized, but hey I don't do this for a living, I'm not sponsored and I am having fun.

No matter where I shoot I always get my brass back and people always ask about my revolver, especially my open revolver. Some make fun of it until after I shoot sometimes and I just bested there time by 5 to 10 seconds and points. I get a kick out of asking the guys who are scrounging thru the grass and separating brass and saying that is mine or that is my markings. I always ask if they happened to pick up any of my brass and or course I say it with a big smile. :devil:

So I say shoot your revolvers to your hearts content and have fun. :cheers:

I believe that the issue is that with the inclusion of the 8 shot revolver, a good number of the regular 6 shot revolver shooters who did or do not wish to change to the higher capacity gun became disheartened and moved to other divisions.

I am stubborn and choose to remain with a 6 shot (loaded by speed loader) revolver, and although the numbers are not many I choose to stick with shooting revolver at the USPSA matches I compete in. The 2016 Area 6 was supposed to have 12 revolver shooters in it, and with the range of classifications only the top overall finisher received an award. I don't think one revolver shooter made the match at all, and two more did not make minor power factor (so they do not show up on the final results). I still enjoyed myself and the match was great.

Those who enjoy shooting revolver are considerably outnumbered by those who enjoy the other divisions. Formerly regular revolver shooters choosing to shoot other division in order to face more competition further reduce the numbers of revolver shooters in the results in matches across the nation.

I find it a bit insulting to the Revolver Division that the stand alone Nationals have been held on Mother's Day weekend every year it has been held, but Carry Optics gets its own Nationals weekend (the first year it exists) on no major holiday. Against my better judgment I shot the 2013 Revolver Nationals for the purpose of showing support for the stand alone match, and in order to check off that I had competed in one. I cannot bring myself to spend another Mother's Day weekend doing it again. Spending time with my mother is more important by far, and I am certain by other comments I have read and heard from other revolver shooters that they feel similarly about the Nationals being on that weekend.

The reason it was held on that date was due to the SS Nats dates. The reason CO Nats is on it's Sunday is due to Prod Nats dates. It's not meant to be a slight. I don't like the Double Taps dates it's always on the weekend closest to my wifes BD. And there always seems to be match on fathers day. Can't find one on my BD though. We all can make our choices based on personal priorities.

On a broader note it seems there are so many more discontents withn USPSA it may be a vocal minority, but it is getting old. But I fear it is deeper.

I'm a noob to action pistol and currently shoot only IDPA.

I really want to shoot USPSA but simply cannot justify the expense of an 8-shot revolver + all the goodies for a discipline I won't be able to shoot more than once a month (due to my pletora of domestic responsibilities.) Anyway, it's kind of a drag being the sole revolver shooter all the time (one other at most, but it's rare.) Apparently the local club has previously tried revo-only IDPA and got crickets, so they refuse to do it again (strange considering this is Cowtown.) The nearest ICORE is 3.5 hours away in Oklahoma.

It would be moot if the chicken-s--ts at IDPA would quit screwing revolver shooters and allow 8-shots. A 4" 627 is no bigger than a 625. Also permit 9mm revolvers.

Edited by FWSixgunner