Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Threaded barrel in carry optics ported core

Iowashooter

So I haven't shot a USPSA match as I started in 3 gun. I own the performance center ported CORE I am curious if I buy a threaded barrel will this be legal in carry optics. I would like to get a threaded barrel because ultimately I would like to run a supressor on this for my nightstand gun. I have a factory barrel from my pro series I can use if it's not legal and I will do that until APEX gets out of the communist Republic of California and starts producing their apex grade barrels with a threaded option. I tried to decifer this on my own but was not able to find a definitive answer. Thank you in advance to those more knowledgeable than I.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The threaded barrel is questionable since it is not the same length as the factory barrel.

If your gun is a full size (4.25 inch barrel) and not a 5 inch barreled long slide, a threaded barrel might be legal. There were full sized M&Ps available with a factory threaded barrel (actually had a threaded and standard barrel with the gun).

I'd email

dnroi@uspsa.org

Troy is usually pretty quick responding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Threaded barrel is not legal.

I asked NROI:

I recently purchased a Performance Center 4.25 inch M&P for use in USPSA Production and Carry Optics. I am sure you are familiar with this gun. It came with a ported and a non-ported barrel. The non-ported is threaded and about 5 inches long. It also has a factory ported slide. Is this gun legal for Production and CO in the non-ported factory configuration or am I restricted to limited and Open? Thank you.

NROI Response:

It's legal in the non-ported version for both divisions if it's on the list.

Production rules

"BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you

may replace the barrel with an OFM or

aftermarket barrel which is of the same length,

contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun"

A threaded barrel isn't the same length so that's a no go for production. While the gun might be legal it isnt with the threaded barrel.

Carry optics rules

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel

with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour

and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

appendix d7, carry optics, provisional - uspsa

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://uspsa.org/document_library/2015/APPENDIX-Carry%2520Optics%2520Provisional%2520Division.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi88b361fHNAhUHNiYKHQitByEQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFnZBSaXClbKkdruxlkMcwH3yavGQ&sig2=ir1HAkzJkurhr3844tFsYw

If the gun came with the threaded barrel factory, it would be hard to claim it wasn't 'original', but aftermarket, probably not.

The rules probably need to be tweaked to consider pistols that come with multiple barrels.

If the gun came with the threaded barrel factory, it would be hard to claim it wasn't 'original', but aftermarket, probably not.

The rules probably need to be tweaked to consider pistols that come with multiple barrels.

"I buy a threaded barrel will this be legal in carry optics. I would like to get a threaded barrel because ultimately I would like to run a supressor on this for my nightstand gun"

His gun didn't come with a factory threaded barrel. I don't think it's a issue because as far as I know no guns on the production list come with threaded barrels from the factory.

His gun didn't come with a factory threaded barrel. I don't think it's a issue because as far as I know no guns on the production list come with threaded barrels from the factory.

The CZ P09 has a factory threaded barrel variant and there are others. I haven't checked if the S&W that dkeiser asked about (different from the OP) is on the PD list, but it comes with two barrels, one threaded and NROI said it was good to go.

adf88c08eb1726b0a9dc9499c6dff077.jpg

This is the email and reply I sent. It appears that while a treaded barrel would be legal there is weight to be concerned with.

Cool. I'm printing this along with my email from Troy and sticking it in my range bag. I need to find some scales.

So is it good for vanilla Production as well as long as you make the weight on the Production list?

No idea. I would assume yes, considering the same gun is on the production list as well. But I cannot confirm that. There are also plenty of production models that come threaded and I am sure some of those are on the production list as well.