Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

clays on ground

FF423

Ive seen this twice in the past month so i thought i would ask.

Matches are using Clays on the ground as "mines" and if you step/break one you receive a PE.

What if any is the legality of this?

The first match was a 3 gun match and I know outlaws can run anything the Match Director thinks up. But the 2nd match was a Level 2 USPSA match so I'm sure they have rules to follow. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it no different than shooting from a beam or even a bridge. The level ll was Ohio. A lot went into those "mines". There were rods driven into the ground with round steel plates welded on top to insure they were always in the same place.

The stages were approved by DNROI as well so I would think they were all legal.

Clays on ground, cooper tunnels, shooting prone, shooting from inside cars, 50 yard standards...all used to be done back in the day. All practical, all legal, all fine with me.

There's some rule floating around that says you can't use improvised/non-approved targets such as clays (which doesn't apply to Multigun), but for pistol-only, clay land mines are just fine, and awesome.

So you gonna draw up a stage for Pueblo next month with land mines?

There's some rule floating around that says you can't use improvised/non-approved targets such as clays (which doesn't apply to Multigun), but for pistol-only, clay land mines are just fine, and awesome.

The 2016 SMM3G match incorporated "exploding" land mines activated by a trip wire set 3 - 5 inches off the ground! Some of the competitors were very creative in the dance moves used to avoid them.

I see it no different than shooting from a beam or even a bridge. The level ll was Ohio. A lot went into those "mines". There were rods driven into the ground with round steel plates welded on top to insure they were always in the same place.

The stages were approved by DNROI as well so I would think they were all legal.

I've been watching match videos on YouTube and saw these "mines" in the Ohio match. Interesting that they were more complicated than just setting them on the ground. I think it great to see this type of creativity in matches, especially as everyone has said nothing that prohibits it in the rules.

Agreed. Land mines are practical and on my daily checklist of things to avoid getting to and from work.

Same as walls with snow fence, cardboard targets and popsicle shaped steel. ?

Edited by MarkCO

Agreed. Land mines are practical and on my daily checklist of things to avoid getting to and from work.

Same as walls with snow fence, cardboard targets and popsicle shaped steel. [emoji23]

Wait, bad guys don't go PING when you hit them?

Crap.

Same as walls with snow fence, cardboard targets and popsicle shaped steel. ?

It's non-sequitur logic to compare cardboard targets to simulated landmines.

Practical competition is conducted using practical targets, which reflect the general size and shape of such objects as the firearm used may reasonably be called upon to hit in their primary intended use.

Simulated landmines might perhaps be realistic for someone in the military. Was IPSC created to simulate military scenarios? If so, carry on, but I'm pretty certain that no civilian in a first world country is going to encounter land mines in their day to day life.

The challenge presented in practical competition must be realistic. Courses of Fire must follow a practical rationale, and simulate sensible hypothetical situations in which firearms might reasonably be used.

Glad I found the thread that explains the dumb stage I shot today.

One guy got a procedural because a mag dropped on it. Another got one because RO didn't check the stage first. Video proved it but you know....video. Haha.

I'm not questioning the legality of it. Just the practicality of it.

If they are supposed to simulate land mines, the shooter should be stopped and the COF scored as shot once a "land mine" is broken. It's very impractical to assume that one is going to be able to keep going about their business after stepping on a land mine.