Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can't get inertia guns to run

Beretta 1201FP and Stoeger m3000 with good ammo. functions fine for my friend but jams every round with me. Even stuck it up against a post to make sure I wasn't soft-shouldering it. Not flinching while shooting, I see the muzzle flash and the barrel rise when I pull the trigger, but I still need to pull the charging handle every time with both guns. Both are clean and again, function fine with other people. I've tried holding tight and loose and everywhere in between. About 50 rounds through each gun over the course of months to no avail. My 930JM runs like a top. What gives?

Putting a inertia gun against s post it's the exact opposite of what it needs to function. The gun must move during recoil in order to work. Try holding it softly and see what happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Putting a inertia gun against s post it's the exact opposite of what it needs to function. The gun must move during recoil in order to work. Try holding it softly and see what happens

Actually that is wrong. Inertia guns need solid resistance to run. You can in essence induce malfunctions just like on pistols by limp wristing or limp shouldering. (not firm enough.)

Maybe you don't fully understand inertia, but that is all wrong.

Just hold an inertia gun like you would any other...firmly with a slight lean into it. Is this a newer shotgun?

Are you using the exact same ammo as the guy that has no failures. Let's delve into Alaskapopo's point shall we...

What shells are you using exactly?

Explain what kind of jam you are experiencing and perhaps we can assist. Is ejection the issue or are you getting a hangup at the last 1/4" prior to lockup?

Actually that is wrong. Inertia guns need solid resistance to run. You can in essence induce malfunctions just like on pistols by limp wristing or limp shouldering. (not firm enough.)

correct me if I am wrong but on an inertia gun when fired the bolt carrier remains in place (due to inertia) as the rest of the gun moves backwards under recoil compressing the spring in front of it then as the gun decelerates from the initial recoil impulse the compresses spring pushes the bolt carrier to the rear cycling the action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEA2yRC9Qb4 putting a gun against a post seems like it would stop that initial rearward movement enough to cause issues.

yes having a really weak hold could cause issues with the rest of the cycling action, A post is not the solution.

Edited by bikerburgess

How could the bolt carrier stay in place and the rest of the gun move back? The bolt carrier has to move back to cycle. I am not Italian, but my take on it is that the recoil impulse causes the entire gun to move back, and the bolt continues back, cycling the action when the rest of the gun has been arrested by your shoulder, the action spring then causes the bolt carrier to return to it's happy place with a fresh hull full of PB love.

Edited by Stlhead

How could the bolt carrier stay in place and the rest of the gun move back? The bolt carrier has to move back to cycle. I am not Italian, but my take on it is that the recoil impulse causes the entire gun to move back, and the bolt continues back, cycling the action when the rest of the gun has been arrested by your shoulder, the action spring then causes the bolt carrier to return to it's happy place with a fresh hull full of PB love.

Inertia...everything that can stays in place (including the bolt carrier).

The bolt carrier want to remain stationary until the spring pressure (from that inertia spring being compressed inside the carrier) overcomes the inertia force and propels the bolt carrier back away from the bolt.

(Ever see a scope move forward in the the rings due to recoil? The scope did not really move, the gun and rings moved backwards and the scope stayed in place.)

A Youtube video that explains what is happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UOSB8mwwlQ

Edited by GunCat

Failure to eject. Once I got a stovepipe where it managed to almost get all the way out but not quite and the bolt closed before it could get out. Not getting back far enough to trigger the magazine feed mechanism.

magazine will be loaded with random amount of ammo, I'll have two ftes where I need to manually cycle. Friend will take gun, dump rest of mag. Not a mag feeding issue either, as he's loaded multiple rounds in an empty gun and run it dry no problem, on the same day at the same time.

I'd like to stick with my 930 but it's waiting on a clear coat right now, and the other 930 I have isn't opened up yet. The inertia guns are opened but even with the heavier ammo that everyone else runs, they don't work for me.

I guess the thing I need to do is videotape myself and try to see what's going on. Everything seems pretty solid but I'm about 2/3rds the size of my buddy who is shooting so maybe the gun is just kicking me around more and I need a more aggressive stance.

Failure to eject. Once I got a stovepipe where it managed to almost get all the way out but not quite and the bolt closed before it could get out. Not getting back far enough to trigger the magazine feed mechanism.

magazine will be loaded with random amount of ammo, I'll have two ftes where I need to manually cycle. Friend will take gun, dump rest of mag. Not a mag feeding issue either, as he's loaded multiple rounds in an empty gun and run it dry no problem, on the same day at the same time.

I'd like to stick with my 930 but it's waiting on a clear coat right now, and the other 930 I have isn't opened up yet. The inertia guns are opened but even with the heavier ammo that everyone else runs, they don't work for me.

I guess the thing I need to do is videotape myself and try to see what's going on. Everything seems pretty solid but I'm about 2/3rds the size of my buddy who is shooting so maybe the gun is just kicking me around more and I need a more aggressive stance.

I'm not a big guy and my M3K runs like a top...

I know I can choke an inertia gun based on how i hold it with 1 1/8 oz 1145 fps loads. If i go 1200fps it's much better but occasionally I can choke it. With 1250-1300 fps never gonna choke for me. I am use to shooting Claus so I shoot the gun with a vary aggressive stance and really hold it tight

Swordfish,

Your hold should be firm with a lean into the shotgun...just like any other shotgun.

Perhaps you need to clean & lightly lube the recoil assembly? Use a light viscosity lube.

You can also utilize a reduced power spring if necessary.

Edited by Yeti

correct me if I am wrong but on an inertia gun when fired the bolt carrier remains in place (due to inertia) as the rest of the gun moves backwards under recoil compressing the spring in front of it then as the gun decelerates from the initial recoil impulse the compresses spring pushes the bolt carrier to the rear cycling the action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEA2yRC9Qb4 putting a gun against a post seems like it would stop that initial rearward movement enough to cause issues.

yes having a really weak hold could cause issues with the rest of the cycling action, A post is not the solution.

Actually a good solid firm stance with as little give as possible is the best for all operating systems. I have seen a weak or unstable stance cause malfunctions even in gas operated rifles.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I found on most of my inertia guns it helps to run some heavier loads like super sports for a few hundred rounds then they get better. For some reason people think they don't need cleaning but I clean and oil my well used M2 and it will shoot 7/8 ultralights.