Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Control

Ghorsley

I would add another thing that I know I'm going to get blasted for, but it works.  Xbox.  Get a Call of Duty game and use a semi-auto rifle or pistol and you will really improve your fast twitch muscle in your trigger finger.  Good trigger control; NO.  Build raw speed; YES.  

I know that it sounds unconventional and I'm not promising it will make you a better shooter, but it will improve your trigger speed.  I'm not a GM or even a M.  My draw and transitions are not very good and I still don't have as strong of a grip as most of the guys here.  The one and only thing that I feel confident I could match most of them on is trigger speed (unfortunately this is the the most worthless of competition skills).  My little brother is an expert with pistol and rifle in the Marines and he has a very fast trigger finger.  He never shot a pistol until about a year before going in the Marines.  Xbox fingers!

To the poster above I will say I kind of agree to a small extent. It does get those tiny finger muscles engaged. I would counter that time spent either performing dryfire or range time would be much more beneficial though. If you have time for xbox, but want to work on your shooting, go shooting instead. 

Sometimes xbox is just too darn fun though.

Mag dumps absolutely have a place in building trigger control at speed.  A buddy of mine and I (who are both B shooters but not far from A) made the jump from being able to track our sights and "see everything" at .40 splits down to .20 splits by mainly just mag dump and bill drill runs at closer distances.  I will note you should do all of this on the clock so you can really see the times.  I also hardly ever shoot anymore without a timer.  Continue to work on the mental state being on the timer since you always will be on the timer during a match.  

I feel like I should add you absolutely need to pay attention to fundamentals and can't just cheat the speed.  My same buddy and I practice a good deal together and talk about dry fire practice as well.  My guess is he does as much as I do and that is about 2000 rds a month of practice and roughly 15 minutes of dry fire a day.  As Ben says, "you have to put in the work".

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 0:48 PM, Pistolpete9 said:

I would add another thing that I know I'm going to get blasted for, but it works.  Xbox.  Get a Call of Duty game and use a semi-auto rifle or pistol and you will really improve your fast twitch muscle in your trigger finger.  Good trigger control; NO.  Build raw speed; YES.  

I know that it sounds unconventional and I'm not promising it will make you a better shooter, but it will improve your trigger speed.  I'm not a GM or even a M.  My draw and transitions are not very good and I still don't have as strong of a grip as most of the guys here.  The one and only thing that I feel confident I could match most of them on is trigger speed (unfortunately this is the the most worthless of competition skills).  My little brother is an expert with pistol and rifle in the Marines and he has a very fast trigger finger.  He never shot a pistol until about a year before going in the Marines.  Xbox fingers!

I use to use a spray bottle to practice squeezing the trigger for the fast twitch reflexes, practice with both hands so you can shoot off hand too.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, Ghorsley said:

I took a class from a VERY well known shooter and he stressed feeling the reset. I watched a video of Rob Leathem and he is slapping the living hell out of the trigger. I am not going to win anything, but want to get better. Is there any consensus on what's best? I realize a lot has to do with what kind of trigger you have.

I am on robs side. if you are using a proper grip, it doesn't matter how hard you are ripping that trigger...something often overlooked in handgun sports because people run an extremely light and tuned trigger and don't do enough grip work.

fine trigger control should only come into play with significant muscle fatigue...which in all honesty should be an issue in a handgun ONLY sport.

the bench