Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Control

Ghorsley

I took a class from a VERY well known shooter and he stressed feeling the reset. I watched a video of Rob Leathem and he is slapping the living hell out of the trigger. I am not going to win anything, but want to get better. Is there any consensus on what's best? I realize a lot has to do with what kind of trigger you have.

I would put it in the context of it doesn't matter your trigger but what matters is the difficulty of the shot. A 3 yard wide open shot doesn't require the trigger control of a partial upper A zone at 25 yards. So I would suggest, to get that partial with two hits, I want to feel every part of my trigger and make sure everything is perfect as that is what is necessary to get the most points. But what do I need for the wide open 3 yard? I think the key is knowing what do I need to do to make the shot and being able to force my mind to make those things happen. So yes some shots I try to force myself to feel every reset, others I slap the trigger like I hate it and it owes me money.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

You really don't even need great trigger manipulation to make an accurate shot. Ultimately the only thing that matters is where the gun is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel. One part of developing a high skill level with a gun is that as you get better your margin for error increases. It becomes easier to keep the gun pointed where you want even under conditions of difficult shooting positions, less than ideal grip, or poor trigger control. Robbie can slap the hell out of a trigger and keep his gun still while doing it extremely well. As shots get tougher or skill levels get lower, you're able to get away with less.

Ultimately what is best is to use whichever method gives you the highest rate of success for the target you are shooting. Personally, I only feel the reset for the most difficult of shots.

Feeling for the reset takes time. We are scored points/time. I choose to fully cycle the trigger instead of trying to find the reset.

That's partially true. Once you get a feel for your trigger, it becomes muscle memory where the reset is.

As has been said, feeling the reset is a waste of time. When I competed with Glocks I did a lot of dry fire with a zip tie keeping the gun out of battery so I could pull the trigger freely over and over. There is no break or reset. After a while of that, I noticed that during live fire I never paid any attention the reset any more.

BIGTIMELARRY "If I shoot off Reset I get Trigger Freeze sometimes.."

BINGO. That's what happens to me as well. In shotgun shooting it's called flinching and sometimes can be hard to cure. When I practice tomorrow, I'm going to forget about all that "feel the reset" crap inside of 25 yards.

Reset has three requirements. 1. It has to happen subconsciously. 2. It has to occur during the recoil cycle. 3. It has to work every time. If you can release just to the reset point during the recoil cycle, without thinking about it, and make it work every time no matter what the stress level, go for it. I sure can't.

Edited by Dwight Stearns

Before I switched to Limited I shot production for almost 2 years with a glock and was almost exclusively shooting glocks non competition for 5 years or so before that. Everyone talks about trigger reset with glocks and I didn't know how accustomed to it I had become. When I shot paper at my local range for accuracy I would practice reset on every shot. Never thought it came in to play in matches... until I switched to limited and a 1911 platform. My first match shooting the 1911 I experienced trigger freeze twice. When it happened I thought I had engaged the safety, it cost me seconds. Second match it happened once. After that I haven't had a problem but that truly showed me that if you practice trigger reset as a fundamental when you practice at your local range it will show through when your shooting at speed at a match. Honestly since I started shooting USPSA I haven't spent as much time shooting fundamentals and this thread kind of reminded me of that.

IMO, trying to ride reset can be begging for trigger freeze when trying to run at high speed. I'm not personally an advocate of "feeling for reset" or "riding the reset"

IMO, trying to ride reset can be begging for trigger freeze when trying to run at high speed. I'm not personally an advocate of "feeling for reset" or "riding the reset"

I ride the reset for shots on long distance rifle targets the same goes for difficult pistol targets.

Slow splits or trigger freeze are not things I have an issue with.

Without too much self aggrandizing...

I am a NRA Conventional pistol Master (and 2600 club member)

USPSA Limited and Open Master (Self Demoted from GM) and top 20 in 1998

Master High Power Rifleman.

And ride the reset in all the above.

NOW...at top speed I am NOT finding the reset point, but my trigger finger IS accustomed to finding it so

finger movement is reduced and my splits are quick.

This is what I do and have done with success for several decades.

It is what I have shared with others and some have employed it with success as well.

As always. your mileage may vary.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

• 8 months later...

It starts with placement of the trigger finger on the trigger. The middle of the pad on your fingertip. The most sensitive part of your finger is preferred position for finger placement. But maintaining perfect aim as the shot is fired is much more important than put the trigger finger in a preferred position.

Edited by jimmymuller

Like stated before feeling the reset will cost time and increase the chance on having trigger freeze. There are some very fast shooters out there that their finger will actually come off the trigger completely then press again for the next shot. The theory is that it is much quicker to make a longer fast movement vs a small controlled movement.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 0:17 AM, GlockGuy1 said:

Does anyone have a suggested on building raw trigger speed?  I'm having a hard time getting below .18 splits even at 3 yards with my custom 2011. 

Isolate: remove the target. just need the burm, ammo and the timer. Only goal is to produce a faster split on demand. Once you can do it on demand, then bring the targets back. 

On March 5, 2017 at 0:17 AM, GlockGuy1 said:

Does anyone have a suggested on building raw trigger speed?  I'm having a hard time getting below .18 splits even at 3 yards with my custom 2011. 

I recently started getting lots of .14.  Which is a break through for me

I recently added short reset to trigger.  Cz spo1

what really helped was shooting (burning ) through some ammo 

and NOT  using timer.....   

It was able to remove tension 

Also try  ignoring target.  Shoot  at blank paper.  And work on raw speed. 

A friend of mine and I used to end shooting sessions with a mag dump race.  Usually our muscles were used up anyway and accuracy was starting to decline.  It was a good way to figure out what stance and grip worked for faster shooting and we quickly discovered that it's difficult to keep a perfect run going all of the way through a full mag.  We were total rookies and had zero instruction and it helped us become....faster shooting total rookies :)