Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex barrel questions

Nemesis Lead

My Apex barrel didn't improve the size of my groups but it did put different bullet weights on the same point of impact.  The factory barrel put 147 gr bullets about 8 inches high at 20 yds with the same point of aim compared to 115 gr bullets, all ammo loaded to about 130 power factor.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I shot an IDPA match with mine, last week, and when I cleaned it, I'm seeing marks on the bottom, like it's slamming on to the frame rails. I can feel them with my fingernail, and it actually has high spots, on the sides. I don't know if I should smooth it a little with a stone, or, just let it keep wearing in.

I'm going to attempt to post some pictures.

IMG_0557.JPG

Edited by RH45
Added picture

On 2/1/2017 at 5:10 PM, want2race said:

Gunsmith fit wasn't bad to install. Mine likes light, fast bullets.  I did a bunch of work to the factory barrel while I waited for the Apex to show up.  Best group was still over 2 inches at 25. Apex gunsmith fit, 1.07" at 25.  I was very impressed.  4.11" at 50, but a flier ruined what could have been a great group (shot standing).  It will also keep them in the A zone at 100y too.  

Would you give up what was your most accurate load?

So far, mine seems to prefer 124-125 grain JHPs, but, I had to shorten the O.A.L. to 1.12", from 1.14", so I would guess they are running 135-140pf

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know approximately how many rounds, on a gunsmith fit bbl, before it's broken in?

I haven't been shooting much handgun this year, due to physical issues, and maybe have 500 rounds through it.

Shooting it from a sandbagged rest @ 25 yards, with the 124 grain, jhp loads, it seems to be most accurate with, my point of impact started out about 1-2 o'clock, then a couple hundred rounds later, moved to 7-8 o'clock. Yesterday, point of impact was dead on, with  the 124 grain jhps, so I decided to try some 147 grain jhps that shoot pretty well in other pistols I have, and point of impact with the 147 grain jhps was about 2-3" left of point of aim, and the groups weren't great. Probably 3-4" @ 25 yards.