Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time to DQ a Shooter and Also Myself...

Alaskan454

I did the RO Level I course earlier this year and last weekend was the fourth time I've run my own squad as the RO. They talked about all kinds of things in the RO course and I kept thinking hmm, I've never seen that before and I hope I never do. Fast forward a few months and I not only had to issue my first DQ as an RO, but also got DQ'd myself two stages later for the first time.

Scenario #1 - I'm running a very experienced shooter who has the gun go off while transferring to his weak hand for a WHO 6 shot string. The gun fired unexpectedly and he lost control of it, stopped in his tracks and waited for me to do instruct further. It scared the crap out of me but the shooter handled it well and knew exactly what happened. I can honestly say that is the first time I've seen a gun fire in mid air. I had to DQ him but he was nice enough to stick around and help out for the rest of the match.

Scenario #2 - Having just issued my first DQ on a prior stage I made a point of reminding my squad about a few safety items, it was raining steadily and the ground was very wet. One point in particular was not to break the 180 since the stage in question was angled with respect to the bay and targets were only shot on the left or straight ahead. Immediately after saying those words I shot first and broke the 180 during a reload. I felt pretty stupid and was embarrassed to say the least. Being the RO I spent the rest of my day getting rained on and not shooting half of the match. It ironically started raining even harder right afterwards so I felt like the universe was teaching me a lesson.

Don't beat yourself up. If you play this game long enough it's likely to happen. My first dq was breaking the 180 after having trigger freeze on a run and gun stage. I 1 handed the follow up shot which broke the 180. I have never made the same mistake from the lesson that match.

Been there done that.

Yes do not beat yourself up over this. There are two types of shooters, the first is the shooter who has DQed and the other is the one who will.

Learn from your mistake and just enjoy the sport.

IMHO

Thanks,

Mike