Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the best 3-gun battery?

Now that so many scope/dots/gopros....etc. need batteries, which are the best ones? The cheap GI brand found on line, Renato, Panasonic, Energizers, Duracell?? All of them claim to be the best.....but what IS the best? I am in an absolute dither over the overwhelming amount of choices

Can anyone help? What are the batteries of the pros???!!!

Kurt...

How about you figure out how to run another match in or around the Alabama/Mississippi area? We can answer all these pressing questions between stages and after the match.

A hem.....Pat.....a 1911 IS in 45 ACP, no other choice. Now when you start adding the A1 designation you have to be caliber specific as well, and believe it or not, many 1911-A1 pistols require a battery. Think of our hosts 38 super in the mid 80s.

Now if you mean like a Naval battery where a turret had 3 Naval rifles (bigger perhaps than we are talking about here, but I will grant you poetic license) I have a battery of M1A/M-14s and a spare or two. :)

Edited by kurtm

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt, the most important considerations concerning batteries (in no particular order) are:

Freshness

Origin

Mha (mili amp hour rating)

I have found localy that most of the batteries I use in optics and flashlights arent so common as to be turned over enough to not loose power on the shelf. Batteries start loosing power from the day their made. I get mine from various on line retailers with high turnover like batteries.com

I prefer USA, and Japanese made. In that order when possible. Ive had varried luck with chinese batteries and avoid them when possible.

Mha is where you get your run time. Bigger the number the better. 1600mha is going to last longer than 1400mha. For flashlights this is a big one. I have found Surefire, Streamlight and Panasonic to have the most runtime, in that order.

For plane old alkaline and watch batteries Duracell have been the most consistant for me.

Darn it Mark!!! You take great sarcastic post and make it a great learning experience. I like you trust in U.S. and Japan, but never knew about the MAH thing. Great info buddy! :)

Darn it Mark!!! You take great sarcastic post and make it a great learning experience. I like you trust in U.S. and Japan, but never knew about the MAH thing. Great info buddy! :)

I had a feeling it was sarcastic. But it was a slow day and figured.....what the heck.... Lol

• 1 month later...

I put what I thought was an excellent century battery in my Volkswagen a few months ago, at the start of winter. Unfortunately I haven't started the car since, so I now have the slowest three gun battery in the world, unless I can borrow some leads, but then I would have a fairly good battery with very dubious fuel economy stats

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At risk of derailing this thread....

For all of the button cell sizes (2032, 1632, 2016, A76, LR44, etc) there is no other choice that Energizer, in bulk (10+ea or so) from Amazon.  They are the best selling brand (collectively) on Amazon so are the most likely to be the freshest, and in my experience the longest lasting.  Admittedly, that is subjective, but if 2 batteries are 100% equal, but one is much older, it won't last as long.  Avoid drugstore batteries like the plague, because you have no idea how long they have been there and how they were stored, so the date on them is of limited utility.  If you must buy the drugstore variety, obviously check the date.

For the larger sizes, in AA and AAA, Energizer BLUE lithium again is a winner, but you ARE better off getting them locally, preferably a national vendor that puts them on sale as they usually stock the shelves prior to the sale.

For 123 batteries, Surefire brand, from a flashlight shop if you can find one, or in a pinch Energizer brand as a distant second.

Avoid Tenegy, ray-o-vac, and anything that says ECO or ni-mh like the plague also. 

If your device takes more than one battery, get out your meter and match voltages the best you can.  Two 1.65v batteries will last longer together than a 1.73v + 1.65v.  

Always have at least 2 sets of spares, double zip locked....