Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most fun AR caliber

steviesterno

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not asking about major power factor in ppc, my question is , i.e., in uspsa open division you can load 9mm ammo to minor power factor or major power factor same gun, can you shoot major loads out of a 9mm carbine without damaging the gun. ??

not interested in competition just want to know if it being done without gun damage..

thanks, herman

Why no love for 223? What other cartridge goes from 0-500 yards easily and relatively cheaply and can go a lot further with some heavier bullets. The whole idea behind an AR is flexibility, which the 223 has. 9mm is a one trick pony, everything else is too expensive to shoot in volume.

Not necessarily. I'm casting my own for the 300 blackout both subs and supers. Forming brass from LC 223 and reloading. For me not having to use store bought jacked bullets saves a bunch.

I'll assume your responding to me. I may concede that your system could cut costs dramatically. But what's your 600+ yard 300 Blackout load? Edited by TonytheTiger

Why no love for 223? What other cartridge goes from 0-500 yards easily and relatively cheaply and can go a lot further with some heavier bullets. The whole idea behind an AR is flexibility, which the 223 has. 9mm is a one trick pony, everything else is too expensive to shoot in volume.

Not necessarily. I'm casting my own for the 300 blackout both subs and supers. Forming brass from LC 223 and reloading. For me not having to use store bought jacked bullets saves a bunch.

I'll assume your responding to me. I may concede that your system could cut costs dramatically. But what's your 600+ yard 300 Blackout load?

You mean my 0 to 500 load? What ever I want it to be, with enough hold over. It's a lot less effected by wind than the 223.

No I mean 600+ yards.

There are different tools for different jobs. I think everyone agrees that 223 is the de facto standard. But there is nothing wrong with mixing it up. Anything that suppresses like 9mm and 300 blk is going to be giggle worthy. I've also shot a 458 socom and it's a riot as well as the 50 Beo. I can only build so many 223 ars lol

I hear what you're saying. We had a family gathering a couple months ago and I took my 5.5" suppressed 9mm AR and my 10.5" suppressed 5.56 AR. It was really a toss up at which one brought the most smiles. We where shooting "C" zone steel at 100 with the 9 and nearly 200 with the 5.56. I know they enjoyed not wearing ear Pro with the 9, but they really seemed to like the spanking power of the 5.56. I'm in the process of building an 8" 300 BLK that might take the cake!! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Im gonna have to stick with the good ole 5.56/223. Its cheap and fun. When I shoot a rifle I like to shoot a rifle round.

You do know the 9mm has been around a lot longer than the .223, right?

Is it more fun because it's older?

9MM for me as well. Factory 147's are naturally subsonic, so it it great suppressed. Waiting on my form 1 to come back as well.

IMG_0492.JPG

Edited by Hozzie

I would say that if you can run it in a pistol, you can run it in a 9mm AR, "major" loads that is. You may need to go with a slightly heavier buffer and/or spring to deal with increased bolt velocity in the blowback guns, but that is certainly do-able.

I would say that if you can run it in a pistol, you can run it in a 9mm AR, "major" loads that is. You may need to go with a slightly heavier buffer and/or spring to deal with increased bolt velocity in the blowback guns, but that is certainly do-able.

Just a word of caution with this- most 9mm ARs do not have a locked breach. Most "9mm Major" pistol loads use very slow burning powders. This can (and has) resulted in case head separations. I would work up a load carefully, and not just assume a PCC will handle it because an Open gun will.