Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training advice (SIRT?)

Swanny10

2 hours ago, chenault said:

Does anyone know if they laserlyte laser would work with the software.  I imagine I could use that with my 1911 couldn't I?

Which software?

Actually I don't think it matters. If I remember correctly each software specifies a laser with a given frequency (or something like that) but they are all pretty much interchangeable 

2 hours ago, chenault said:

Sorry should have specified, the software that SIRT sells.  

L.A.S.R. software is compatible with any laser trainer. But before you drop $120 just try shootoff software. I haven't used LASR and it may well be superior to shootoff but since shootoff is free it won't hurt to try it. 

59 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

L.A.S.R. software is compatible with any laser trainer. But before you drop $120 just try shootoff software. I haven't used LASR and it may well be superior to shootoff but since shootoff is free it won't hurt to try it. 

I will this is the first I've heard of this software 

I just bought the pistol and the software but haven't used it enough to give any input at this time. I will say that im not a Glock shooter but some of the basics will carry over so i still feel thats theres a benefit to being able to dry fire with some feedback.

I have been using a SIRT for few years now, I got one a year after they first came out. Mine is the Glock 17 pattern metal model with red lasers. I had to sell a real gun to pay for it, it was well worth it. Practicing with it has improved my shooting dramatically. It has also been a valuable tool when introducing new people to shooting. The time I spent teaching my then fiancee with it paid off big time, she was in the 9 ring her first time shooting the real thing.

My only gripes, the ejection port isn't cut in far enough to engage the ALS lock on my Safariland holster. Also, the weighted mag that comes with it is magnetically attracted to my feet :o. I highly recommend wearing shoes when you use it, cushions the blow. The SIRT mags have a rubber pad on the bottom, and they have another really handy feature: when inserted into the real Glock 17, the slide won't lock, making dry firing sessions a little easier. 

A word on SIRT customer service, my first trigger module broke after a few months. They sent me a new one, along with another mag. :D Above and beyond what. My second module has lasted years, I use it nearly every day.

One other SIRT tip, put the same sights on it that you use on the real gun. I feel kind of stupid putting a $80 sight set on a pretend gun,  at least I have a backup set if I hose up the ones on the real gun. It will also take your Gen 3 Glock mag release, so if you use an aftermarket or extended one, you can put it in there too.

Software...

I initially used some software that came with the SIRT package I bought, it was very buggy and hard to set up. It is also registered to one CPU only, so when I got my new PC they (the software outfit, not SIRT) wanted me to shell out a bunch for a new license, I said forget it. 

Shootoff is the software I use now, it is 10x better than the old software I had. I tape up my appropriately scaled targets, adjust the camera, target area, target reaction, etc in the software, all in less than 5"; then start shooting. The software is extremely flexible, one thing I like doing is making the area of the target that reacts to a hit smaller than the actual target, now I am pounding plates in the middle, not off to the sides. I really want a projector, but match fees/ammo are taking up my $$ right now. I recommend Shootoff without reservation.

@Crash  You are probably aware, but you can use Laserlyte ammo with the Shootoff software for dry fire.  Of course you have to cock the hammer between shots, so transitions are a no go.  It is pretty fun/useful for draw first shots if you have a projector and a web cam.  It makes practice a bit more fun when you are working on "The Grip", draw speed, and reloads.     

15 hours ago, chenault said:

Do the red glasses block out the red laser or only the green?

14 hours ago, Mountbkr said:

Only the green is my understanding from reading here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct. However if your primary laser is green you can just buy green glasses instead. But no way I know of to do both.