Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training advice (SIRT?)

Swanny10

Hello all,

So my problem is that recently took a new job away from home and my opportunities to shoot are almost non existent. I think about taking the financial leap and purchasing a SIRT pistol. What can you all tell me about SIRT as a viable tool? Limitations, advantages, alternatives? I know the subject has been broached before but, the threads are somewhat dated and I wondered if the company has made any changes (positive or negative) in the interim. FYI, I am a Glock shooter.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen tremendous gains from using the SIRT and the LASR software over the last 5-6 months.

Here's something I posted a while back on Reddit:

So I ordered the M&P SIRT and LASR software. I've had them for five days, and so far, I think they're well worth the money (but take that with a grain of salt, since it's only been five days).

I think having a resetting trigger is going to be really helpful. I've practiced multiple shot drills, transitions, etc., by pulling on a dead trigger for years. While I think it has helped speed up my vision, it hasn't helped my trigger control at speed as much; although I call good hits when pulling a dead trigger in dry fire, in live fire, when there's a reset and a break, I tend to pull shots low. Using the SIRT confirmed this, and practicing with the SIRT for just a few days has improved it quite a bit (at least in dry fire).

Another advantage of the resetting trigger is that it forces me to let out the trigger more. When practicing at speed with a dead trigger, I've caught myself barely letting the trigger out, and I think that has caused me to have the occasional trigger freeze in live fire.

The SIRT trigger has a heavier takeup (at the lightest setting) and more creep than my competition gun, but so far, I'd say it's close enough for it to be helpful. I usually slap the trigger, so I don't really notice the extra creep. The heavier take up does slow my splits down a bit, but my hope is that it will be like practicing with a baseball donut.

The LASR software is super easy to set up and use. It records the shots very accurately (I took some video to compare hits on target to hits on screen).

I can see how the laser might cause some people to start ignoring the front sight and walking the laser in, but I think if you're aware of it, it's not too hard to keep your focus on the front sight. And I'm trying to work on target focused shooting anyways, so it's not a big deal. But if it were a big deal, you can make the green laser almost invisible by wearing pair of red shooting glasses.

I actually think the SIRT and LASR software and a pair of shooting glasses to filter the laser out would be a fantastic tool for someone to learn how to call shots.

Edited by FTDMFR

If you shoot a Da/SA pistol, just get a laserlyte or laserammo module for your pistol and the lasr software.

Get the IR module and camera if you have the extra $$. Then you won't be looking for the dot and will concentrate on the sights more easily.

The sirt is well built, costs a lot but the trigger sucks. It also is "full auto" firing the laser as long as you hold the trigger.

Using the LASR software and your real gun makes training more fun. But the visible dot can be detrimental.

• 2 weeks later...

Disable the lasers. The SIRT is really an excellent product. Phenomenal actually. You can take it to work if you work in a place that prohibits weapons and dryfire in your down time or on your breaks. I was always impressed a lot with being able to do mag changes with a non-firearm.

The lasers are a distraction that will draw your eyes away from the front sight. You can go 10-30 seconds of draws and transitions before the lasers capture your attention away from the front sight. The aiming laser has an on/off switch. The shot break laser has to be blocked with a short screw in the exit hole.

But then you can't use any of the software that's available to use with it. I'm just gonna go ahead and by the IR module or get some protective glasses that hide the dot.

LASR software + green SIRT laser + red shooting glasses is the best thing ever.

I'm sure the IR module works great, but it's hard to beat a $7 pair of safety glasses.

I was worried that wearing red glasses during dry fire would be weird, but it's a non-issue if you have good lighting in your dry fire area.

FTDMFR-

Thanks for the response. Do you run a FO site on your gun? I wondered how mine might look through red or green glasses. But for 7 bucks it can't hurt to try. Can you point me towards the glasses you use? There are a lot of options and I don't know what I really need.

FTDMFR-

Thanks for the response. Do you run a FO site on your gun? I wondered how mine might look through red or green glasses. But for 7 bucks it can't hurt to try. Can you point me towards the glasses you use? There are a lot of options and I don't know what I really need.

My SIRT currently has the stock SIRT sights (black, with blacked-out dots), but I'm going to replace them with the same sights as my M&P Pro (Novak competion, plain black rear, red FO front).

I'd use the same color FO as the glasses.

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00093DJ4M/

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, alotur said:

I borrowed a buddies and one thing I found was that the trigger was very heavy and lead to fatigue very quickly.  Is there a way to adjust the trigger pull?

Just to follow up, I've never adjusted mine. It's still "factory". But unless you're friend has adjusted it to an extremely high level, if you are truly experiencing muscle "fatigue" then I would leave it where it's at and use it for strength training your trigger finger for the time being. 

3 hours ago, alotur said:

I borrowed a buddies and one thing I found was that the trigger was very heavy and lead to fatigue very quickly.  Is there a way to adjust the trigger pull?

Just to follow up, I've never adjusted mine. It's still "factory". But unless you're friend has adjusted it to an extremely high level, if you are truly experiencing muscle "fatigue" then I would leave it where it's at and use it for strength training your trigger finger for the time being. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the computer, projector, and webcam setup in the basement. I'm using shootoff software. I wouldn't call it a "course" necessarily. But I can put multiple targets on the wall. And my basement is wide open and 20 yards long so I can duck in and around support posts and sort of simulate a course. Supposedly you can hook up multiple projectors and or webcams. But I haven't gotten that in depth. 

Still on the fence about which SIRT to get. I'd LOVE to go the infrared route, but that means a more costly camera as well as the added cost to the pistol.

Have any of you gone the red laser/green glasses route?

It seems as logical as the green/red model but a little cheaper...

Can any of you think of an obvious reason this would NOT work?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, fmiller said:

Still on the fence about which SIRT to get. I'd LOVE to go the infrared route, but that means a more costly camera as well as the added cost to the pistol.

Have any of you gone the red laser/green glasses route?

It seems as logical as the green/red model but a little cheaper...

Can any of you think of an obvious reason this would NOT work?

Thanks!

I went the red glasses route. It works but it does feel like you're on Mars or something. Target color becomes an issue as well. I'm using shootoff software and you can't change the color of the targets. They are still visible but they definitely don't POP. 

The visible laser is nice for certain things. Like learning to shoot from retention (if that's something you do). But it will certainly definitely positively cause problems if you don't hide it most of the time. If I had it to do over I would "probably" get the IR. 

Hope that helps.