Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help for Offhand Shooting.

Patrick

You and several others discussed this method in another thread and I tried it for the first time this week. This is a great tip and was really easy to grasp. The video makes it even clearer. I went from trying to keep the red dot still (impossible) to controlling the movement and focusing on breaking the shot. The difference for me is night and day.

Thank you and others for the tip and thanks for an informative video.

Eric

I used this technique today at our club match to shoot a pistol rack at 100 yds today. Way cool for me!

Edited by Tigereye

Tried the approach method today in a local league.... Need much more practice!

How far were the targets and what size?

Targets were two 2.5" round orange stickers placed vertically about 2' apart on a paper target holder at 20 yards.

Was using a RRA R3 rifle with TA31F-G ACOG and suspect the 4X magnification was hurting more than helping my brain compensate for movement at that close distance.

Used to shooting steel plates at 25-150 yards (way easier) and thinking of dropping to a 1X red dot for this situation.

Tried the approach method today in a local league.... Need much more practice!

How far were the targets and what size?

Targets were two 2.5" round orange stickers placed vertically about 2' apart on a paper target holder at 20 yards.

Was using a RRA R3 rifle with TA31F-G ACOG and suspect the 4X magnification was hurting more than helping my brain compensate for movement at that close distance.

Used to shooting steel plates at 25-150 yards (way easier) and thinking of dropping to a 1X red dot for this situation.

If my math is close those are approx 10MOA targets...easy enough to hold with need of approach shooting.

You are right about scope magnification being a brain drain distraction.

Thanks for the thoughts Pat.

Appreciate some insight on how you're holding the rifle such as strong and weak hand grip and force (or not) into shoulder.

Thanks, Rick

Edited by M8Stealth

Thanks for the thoughts Pat.

Appreciate some insight on how you're holding the rifle such as strong and weak hand grip and force (or not) into shoulder.

Thanks, Rick

I only "grip it to rip it" on those close and hose-em stages.

Shot Sportsmans Team Challenge for the first time this weekend. Im not sure if this is the correct technique for that style of shooting, but trying to utilise it seemed to help. Thanks for posting this.

Shot Sportsmans Team Challenge for the first time this weekend. Im not sure if this is the correct technique for that style of shooting, but trying to utilise it seemed to help. Thanks for posting this.

I would say it is, or that is how I would "approach it" (puns are fun) the smaller the target and the longer the distance under time constraints kinda forces your hand.

Now I will say that for that course of fire one would need to have their approach distance as small as they can manage.

• 2 weeks later...

I taught my 12 and 14 year old this method out of the gate and to see them shoot off hand out to about 200 yards is impressive. Hunter (12) got his hit on the first round at a 10" plate at 100 yards only needing 3 or 10 allotted rounds for 3 hits. The youngest competitor in the American Marksman regional gets a stage win. :) The 14 year old was a second behind him needing 4 shots for 3 hits.