Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Weight

hlpressley

I'm running 147gr in my G34. I tried a 13 lb ISMI spring in it last weekend, and I think it is oversprung -- the empties were falling very close to my feet. I've put in an 11 lb spring, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'll try it this weekend.

What power factor is your ammo? I'm going to try 11 lb spring once mine arrives.

Yup Gen 4 9mm is 17lb.

Polymer - I ran 147gr Bayous @ 130pf with a 13lb spring, dropped empties about 2 feet away. I tried an 11lb spring but wasn't crazy about the feel, stuck with the 13lb and no issues.

Yup Gen 4 9mm is 17lb.

Polymer - I ran 147gr Bayous @ 130pf with a 13lb spring, dropped empties about 2 feet away. I tried an 11lb spring but wasn't crazy about the feel, stuck with the 13lb and no issues.

Same Here, I tried them all and settled on a 13lb ISMI

Yup Gen 4 9mm is 17lb.

Same Here, I tried them all and settled on a 13lb ISMI

Thanks for feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a gen 3 from TTI that had a captured steel guide rod with 13lb spring. They told me on the phone that it felt more like an 11 to them. Either way it shot great with a whole bunch of different 115 factory loads. No issues.

I know have a zev extended uncaptured guide rod with an 11lb ismi. Runs great. Also have a 13lb ismi. They both work fine. I shoot magtech 115 and American eagle subsonic 124 primarily.

I'm running 147gr in my G34. I tried a 13 lb ISMI spring in it last weekend, and I think it is oversprung -- the empties were falling very close to my feet. I've put in an 11 lb spring, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'll try it this weekend.

I've run about 500 rounds through using the 11 lb spring. That seems to work well with my load.

Hopefully this is helpful for everyone.
I had a discussion about this with Billy from Jager Products.
(In my Gen4's I run their Gen4 to Gen3 conversion rod with IMSI springs)
He told me the way to tell if you are too light on the springs is to hold the gun vertically, as you squeeze the trigger (unloaded of course), if the slide moves back, you are sprung too light.
I put a Jager rod with 11lb IMSI spring in it and it did exactly that, switched it out to 13lbs, works perfectly.

Favorite load: 147gr Berry's round nose with 3.1 gr of Ramshot Competition. Makes powerfactor by 10% (keep in mind this has been Chrono'd here in Denver.....a mile up in the air)
To me, this load shoot very soft, much like a 22lr in a light framed gun.

Edited by DenverDave