Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullets = blue fingers?

David.Hylton

I transitioning from jacketed to coated bullets so I'm testing several brands.

Is it normal to have blue stains on your fingers when handling blue bullets? When I loaded some test loads I noticed the blue stains on my hands whenever I handled the bullets. The stains reappeared when I loaded my magazines.

I like them otherwise. <_<

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I transitioning from jacketed to coated bullets so I'm testing several brands.

Is it normal to have blue stains on your fingers when handling blue bullets? When I loaded some test loads I noticed the blue stains on my hands whenever I handled the bullets. The stains reappeared when I loaded my magazines.

I like them otherwise. <_<

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, blue fingers. I dont know what their coating is but it works.

• 4 weeks later...

I sling my loaded ammo in a towel with alcohol to take off the case lube and it cleans off the little bit of dust remaining so I don't get blue fingers when shooting, just loading.

They're my favorite. The smell from the coating on the HyTeks bother me when I shoot indoors.

Also, I don't get nearly as much smurf dust when I use my bullet feeder as a lot of the loose stuff comes off and stays in the collator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Statistically, I can't find much difference in the performance of the different coated lead bullets.

Blues seem to be slightly more accurate for me and don't have the "hytek" smell, but you get smurf fingers.  I just got in my order of 4 cases of the 180 gr, so you can tell that I'm happy with them.

In the hytek coated bullets I like Bayou then ACME, then sns or bbi.  I would shoot any of them though, there really is that little difference between them.

All of the bullets have a slightly different ogive though, so make sure you adjust for oal, and check for proper feeding before you switch between them.

Edited by Kletus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...