Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gamer AK

MikeRush

I love the SUPS matches, so I am going to build an AK (always wanted to do it, now I have an excuse) for the Red Oktober match this year. I don't think we will be shooting past 150 yards for the match, and I have other guns for shooting further than that so I am not terribly worried about ballistics or sight radius.

I want to set it up for the Heavy Kalash division so I have to use irons, 30 round mags, and 7.62.

I have a NoDak receiver on the way, I am planning on running standard AK sights with the rear notch opened up a bit rather than one of the peep conversions. I'm planning on the magpul furniture, ALG AKT trigger, and still deciding on the comp.

I will be pinning and welding comp on a 14.x" barrel- a brake only, non flash suppressing device is preferred due to my state. Looking mainly at the AMD 65 brake (my kit will come with one, maybe add some top ports) or the JTAC 47.

Trying to figure out how I want to reduce the gas a bit as well.

Has anyone here "tuned" an AK for games? Am I on the right track for a shooter friendly, under 200 yards setup?

The Lantac Dragon comes with the correct threads for an AK.

Thank you, I will take a look into that one. Length is sufficient to get me to 16+ and seems like a very well made comp.

Following this thread, I've got a soft spot for AK's. I've got a 74 I've thought about using in bay matches, the trigger is a Tapco G2 that's been polished up and is pretty decent, some form of recoil buffer, an extended mag release, all the sexy Magpul Zhukov furniture and I cut the barrel down to 14" and pinned/welded the comp back on. It shoots Hornady Vmax into moa 3 shot groups at 50yds with irons, which is unbelievably awesome (I don't blame you if you don't believe me). It can't hold a candle to my AR in any way but I still love it. I'd post a pic but the file size is too big.

Looks great! I am planning on the fixed stock (again, CA thing) and the shorter MOE handguard, but the Zhukov parts look great!

I thought long and hard about doing a 74 as I think it would be more pleasant to shoot than a 47, but, I have AR's for that. I have an appointment with my builder, so once I pick the receiver up from jail this is going to get rolling.

Thinking of welding up the gas block and redrilling to cut down on the gas a bit- almost all the AKs I have shot have seemed overgassed.

I built an AK a couple months ago. Nothing to worry about in terms of accuracy. Zero it properly the Russian way, and it will shoot to the rear sight elevations out as far as your skill will carry you. Holes touching holes on paper, ringing steel hundreds of yards away.

You actually need to be pretty good at shooting a rifle to zero an AK. You need a 100yds benchrest range, AK zeroing targets, sight tool, and leave the rear leaf at the battle setting. Metal on meat.

The ALG trigger is phenomenal, but you have to fit it to the safety. Not a big deal.

• 5 weeks later...

Gamer AK is nearly complete:

IMG_8613.jpg

The permanently attached AMD65 comp is around 4 oz and the combo comes in just over 17". I am going to replace it with a pinned/welded JTAC which will save 2 oz and bring it to just over 16".

Also going to swap out the pistol grip for a Magpul piece.

ALG trigger is amazing for $49. I reprofiled the hammer and polished up the engagement surfaces- it passes all of the safety tests, functions properly, and is averaging around 1 lb 9 oz at the middle of the bow. It has more travel/reset distance than I would prefer, but it feels a lot like a smooth, light Glock trigger.

I ended up welding and grinding the recoil guide a bit to get the tail of the bolt carrier traveling as it should and keep the carrier from jumping the rails.

I had a Randall of AR15barrels.com do the riveting and press the barrel and barrel pin in. The gun runs great! I have thought about trying to cut down the amount of gas hitting the piston, but I might try a fresh recoil spring first. Now I just need to swap the comp and grip, get it zeroed and start getting ready for Red Oktober.

Edited by MikeRush

The only thing I do not recommend is the short MOE handguard. on my last rifle match, on the last stage I used my AK. I had to shoot around a barricade. When the rifle recoiled, the barrel (instead of the handguard) landed on the web of my support hand and that wasn't pleasant at all.

• 3 months later...

Just a follow up- the match was excellent! The gun ran great although I did have some issues with reset. With a bit of wear the ALG was down to 1 lb, 6 oz and sometimes took jiggling the bolt to get it to reset. I added the auxiliary spring after I got back and now it is 2 lbs with very positive reset.

This will go on my must shoot match list for next year. The night stage prompted me to order a PWS FSC47 Mod 2 for some flash suppression and I am going to play with white light mounting. 

• 3 months later...

What ammo are you guys running in matches?  Older thread, I know, but I've been thinking about running a recently acquired ak (wasr-10) in local matches.  Bi metal jacketed ammo is not allowed, which pretty much rules out most of the reasonably priced stuff.  So what's the next best priced choice?

Thx

Bob

The Red Oktober match allowed any ammo, which was nice. Barring that I would try to use Yugo M67, which, I believe doesn't attract a magnet.

As an update, SJC now makes a Titan comp for the AK so I think mine is about to get louder and flatter shooting than ever before.

5 hours ago, MikeRush said:

The Red Oktober match allowed any ammo, which was nice. Barring that I would try to use Yugo M67, which, I believe doesn't attract a magnet.

Is that yugo ammo generally considered gtg?  The only options ive seen are from the 70's, which is spooky to me.

Ive seen prvi partisan as recent manufacture, but is is more expensive than the yugo.