Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Regular Maintenance

okorpheus

I haven't had to replace anything yet and I'm well over 15k. I've just kept it clean and kept the extractor clear of carbon buildup. I shoot mostly 147 grain rounds at ~130PF though so I'm not exactly putting a lot of stress on the pistol.

Blow the dust out of it now and then and add lube.

I've lost track of number of rounds on mine, somewhere between 50k and 100k, It is also an older model. Along the way I broke the slide release (right side bent over bit broke, somehow) and I've worn out a striker where it interfaces with the block, although that is likely because of the re-profiled Apex block. Also, north of 50k the hinge pin in the trigger started to come out so I replaced the entire trigger assembly.

Oh and I lost that safety hole plug once.

Admittedly, I've been running some Apex guts in mine and eventually I replaced the entire sear block but that was because I wanted the newer sear plunger design. Before that, I've worn out the original factory sear plunger spring and replaced it with the Apex one when they still shipped the small plunger sear springs with their kits.

Been running a 15lb recoil spring on a steel guide rod all along, replaced it .. twice? Maybe?

Thanks. Running stock parts other than the apex competition kit. Didn't change the striker spring (don't want to be picky about primers) or the striker block (yet, need to get tools to take the rear sight off).

I'd keep a close eye on the striker and its tab that interfaces with the striker block area, like Vlad says. Depending on the timing, you could see some where there to the point where the striker block becomes ineffective. It probably will still run in this condition, though.

I had to replace the trigger return spring after 10k. It was the Apex spring not a factory. Since I use my M&P 9L for USPSA and steel I change out the Apex Competition kit springs every year. I average 7k rds a year. Just an insurance policy.

Edited by CPW1265

• 2 weeks later...

As near as I can estimate I've got around 3k rounds through my 9mm M&P. What spare parts should I be keeping on hand or replacing preventatively?

Then your gun is just now finishing its "breaking in" phase.

I ran 3,800 rounds through mine in a single weekend, last month. She's probably around 40-50k now. It's one of the oldest 9L's out there - definitely one of the first few thousand M&Ps made.

Recoil springs are all I've ever actually needed to replace. I have a pair of spare strikers, and one of those is a complete assembly. Spare trigger bar assembly. Spare slide release lever. Since they come to matches with me the gun just keeps running and running. You only break when you don't have spares, it seems.

I'm on 13lb recoil spring number four, I believe.

Edited by MemphisMechanic